Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb

I was remembering the endgame tension during many of the matches I played with my friends in the 80s, and then I realized that there is no need to play a long, leveled match in order to experience it! So here is the Endgame Challenge, a fast variant mode of BASKETmind of only 10 turns!

"After a long and tense match, Red has ended a possession at the 40th turn of the 4th quarter, and the ball goes to Blue (his turn marker will therefore move from the position occupied by the Red one): the score is 80-79 for Red and there are only 10 turns left!"

Agree on who takes Blue, or roll the d6 and the higher roller takes Blue... or play twice, exchanging teams. The challenge feels very different for each of them:

Blue team Ideally, you have to try a full 10-turn possession, with an easy 2-point shot on the last turn for victory. However, you may also want to try a fast shot, so that you may have a second chance in case of a miss. The latter can be specially appealing if the shot is a 3-point one, since Red will get the last possession but will be 2 points below.

Red team You have to defend! Either try to force a short possession, that would let you keep your advantage or give you a last chance to recover it, either make your best so that the shot on the last turn is as difficult as possible. If you press the ball carrier be careful not to commit a technical foul, Blue could score the free throws and would keep the ball!

This is a very short challenge that can be very fun, so if you are in a hurry or want to feel the tension please try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just played one challenge, and a lot of things happened in 10 turns: the result was 85-84 for Red! I was Blue...

Blue did not choose patience and scored 2 points in 1 turn (80-81), then Red tried a shot from the key, 2 points + additional free throw (83-81), then Blue saw a clear 3-point shot at the 7th turn (83-84), and finally Red exhausted the last 3-turn possession with a forced shot on the last turn at 5 circles away (85-84)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Endgame Challenge! Barcelona - Real Madrid
Yesterday there was the final game of the Spanish 2014 "King's Cup", Barcelona vs Real Madrid, and the endgame was unbelievable: 68-75 for Madrid with only 1 min left, Barcelona returned the situation with 76-75 and 8 s... And Madrid scored the final 76-77 at 0.1 s!!!

That was a trully endgame challenge, for both!

PS/ Until now available here: http://youtu.be/MabkMtI-Ac8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.