Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Winford
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this still in print? I am interested in playing it solo to learn the 18xx system.

If it is still in print, where can you get it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This bears extra-ordinarily little relation to the 18xx system. It is roughly as close as say Verräter is to Bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evelin Auger
Canada
Portneuf
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested even if it does'nt ressemble with 18xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dimly recall that some attempts were made to adapt the mainline solitaire system to other 18xx games. You might try digging through threads.

Mainline hasn't been traditionally in or our of print, Francis has made up batches for stores every now and then. I'd suggest contacting either Northumbria or Heron games and getting them to ask Francis if any more copies might be making their way out.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I would caution against using Mainline as a solo experience. I haven't played against others on this title but I expect it to fall flat. It just isn't close enough to traditional 18XX for my tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Prescott
England
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the question asked and not give an opinion which wasn't asked whistle - the game is still nominally in print but is done in small batches from his home when the designer has the time (he's in his 70s). This is also true of 1825 units 1 2 & 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
I would caution against using Mainline as a solo experience. I haven't played against others on this title but I expect it to fall flat. It just isn't close enough to traditional 18XX for my tastes.

Most solo games do fall flat when played with other people.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a solo train game that's pretty good you might want to check out Open Rails Origins- it's print-and-play, and isn't quite 18xx (but then apparently neither is 1829), it takes concepts from the 18xx series and the AoS type games and combines them into a somewhat simplified game for 1-3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rubin
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this indeed a good solo experience - if one were primarily interested in the track laying aspects and not so much the stock manipulations and not expecting an 18XX game?

I have not enjoyed the stock manipulation aspect of the few 18XX games that I have tried, but do like the track laying.

I have Open Rails Origins but have not played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCatGuy wrote:
I have not enjoyed the stock manipulation aspect of the few 18XX games that I have tried, but do like the track laying.

Out of interest, which 18xx games have you tried? It's possible that people could recommend ones in which the stock manipulation is less central - depending on whether the ones you've tried are ones that emphasise the stock side of things.

I recognise that this does not address your actual question. I haven't played 1829 Mainline so I will leave that for others to answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rubin
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 1830 once, I played one version that was set in a smaller region (maybe 18AL) but don't remember the specific one, and I have played Baltimore & Ohio a couple times (close enough to the 18XX experience for me). Also, played the easiest level of 18EZ once which I recall minimized the stock manipulation.

Maybe I should just stick to laying track in an easy game like Age Of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mathews
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCatGuy wrote:
Is this indeed a good solo experience - if one were primarily interested in the track laying aspects and not so much the stock manipulations and not expecting an 18XX game?

I heartily recommend the solitaire system in 1829 Mainline. I speak to some of the reasons in my review of the game. It should especially appeal to a person primarily interested in track laying vs. stock manipulations, since there are essentially no stock manipulations in 1829 Mainline--especially in the solitaire system. The solitaire system deals you a different set of companies to work with every game, generating a new challenge each game where track laying is indeed a primary theme.

As you may know, there are two branches of the 18xx genre: games with a predatory stock market (e.g. 1830), and those without (e.g. 1825). 1829 Mainline is squarely in the non-predatory branch, so it already fits in with your preferences even before considering the built-in solitaire system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.