Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
...so why does the Obama administration have to scramble to clarify his (Biden's) position? It seemed pretty damned clear to me. Is he not allowed to have his own feelings on these issues? Personally, I have no problem with my president and VP having differences of opinion on the odd issue, as long as they generally work as a team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Election year controversy, they are not on the same wavelength.

The are not on the same WAVELENGTH.

Only one heart beat away people.

ONLY ONE HEART BEAT AWAY!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that suggests the question, "Is JB going to be the VP on the ticket?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
Erp, now Arne Duncan is out as a wholehearted supporter! What will the president do?

A: speechify, temporize, and put it off until after the elections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
slowcorner wrote:
What will the president do?

Sign all relevant legislation that congress sends him.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is pretty straightforward. Obama has concluded that his optimal position on same-sex marriage is "like civil unions with all the rights, don't agree with same-sex marriage, evolving on the issue". It's close to where a lot of voters are, it leaves the left flank nowhere to go (although they can certainly complain) and it gives him room to support it a few years from now. (Don't expect a change in the first year of his second term, should he win one.)

My best guess is that in private Obama supports same-sex marriage although it's entirely possible that he really does think civil unions are sufficient. But the political calculus seems to be what's driving the outward positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a comment on the subject, it's hard to beat this one from Stonewall:

"Our strong advice to anyone who disagrees with same-sex marriage is not to get married to someone of the same sex."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the difference between a marriage performed by a judge, and a civil-union with all the same rights/benefits as marriage? They just seem like synonyms with a slightly different connotation. Is there something I am missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
What is the difference between a marriage performed by a judge, and a civil-union with all the same rights/benefits as marriage? They just seem like synonyms with a slightly different connotation. Is there something I am missing?

What's the difference between water fountains for black people and water fountains for white people? They're both ceramic fixtures that spray water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
madmanw wrote:

What's the difference between water fountains for black people and water fountains for white people? They're both ceramic fixtures that spray water.

So are you saying the whole reason Obama supports one and not the other is to discriminate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
madmanw wrote:

So are you saying the whole reason Obama supports one and not the other is to discriminate?

No. Just as there were people back in the day who honestly thought segregation was good for blacks and whites, a lot of people have bought into the idea that creating a parallel legal status for the sole purpose of not using the word "marriage" for gay unions isn't inherently discriminatory. I think a lot of people advocating civil unions do so out of good will; I just think they're wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So then as it is being proposed only gays would be allowed to join in civil unions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that Joe "wasn't" going to be on the next ticket, and now if he isn't picked it'll look bad thinking they got rid of him because of this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
So then as it is being proposed only gays would be allowed to join in civil unions?

Mike, I'm not sure why you're putting words into people's mouths rather than replying to the actual points they've made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
madmanw wrote:

Mike, I'm not sure why you're putting words into people's mouths rather than replying to the actual points they've made.

I am not responding to points, I actually don't know, hence my original question.

(Specifically I was curious if the civil unions had the same immigration benefits)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
madmanw wrote:

I am not responding to points, I actually don't know, hence my original question.

(Specifically I was curious if the civil unions had the same immigration benefits)

No one can know for sure, but in practice the answer seems to be no. Some states (e.g. New Jersey) have implemented civil union laws but they have generally failed to provide the intended legal benefits. A state's civil union laws would not have any immigration benefits unless and until a federal law decided that they would. Then again, at the moment even marriage doesn't confer immigration benefits for a same-sex couple. (I have a Canadian friend who recently got her green card on the basis of her work experience and unique skills...under her lawyer's advice she did not volunteer that she was married to a U.S. citizen since for her it might have been an impediment. For my wife, of course, it meant virtually automatic green card.)

More generally, "separate but equal" is inherently unequal. If they were truly equal there would be no need to create a new legal status that attempts to give identical legal rights under a new name. The only reason to do that is that a large chunk of people do not consider same-sex unions to be equal and thus oppose calling them marriages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. It is kinda crap that even same-sex marriage doesn't currently help with immigration. If you can't get the federal government to fully recognize a marriage that a state approved of then what is the point of our current political system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
Thanks for the info. It is kinda crap that even same-sex marriage doesn't currently help with immigration. If you can't get the federal government to fully recognize a marriage that a state approved of then what is the point of our current political system?

This is why DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) needs to go. That is what is preventing the feds from recognizing what the states are doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama should just sack up and say he is for it too. The position against it is undefendable if you believe in equal rights for all citizens. Either that or start a platform to have the federal government not recognize marriage at all as it is a religious-based notion.

My problem with Obama is that when it comes to taking a stand on things like this that I would like a liberal Dem should be all over he loses his spine and plays for the middle and then comes across as flip-floppy.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malloc wrote:
Either that or start a platform to have the federal government not recognize marriage at all as it is a religious-based notion.

This has always struck me as a total non-starter. Marriage is certainly a religious ceremony but it has also been a civil ceremony (and civil contract) effectively forever. To try to dismantle that seems both impossible and a gigantic "fuck you" to homosexuals.

Quote:
My problem with Obama is that when it comes to taking a stand on things like this that I would like a liberal Dem should be all over he loses his spine and plays for the middle and then comes across as flip-floppy.

Unfortunately it's pretty well-established that what you gain by taking a stand on hot-button issues is overbalanced by what you lose, at least politically. I'd love for Obama to speak clearly in favor of same-sex marriage but it's not going to happen any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a little ironically named in that the states already approved them as being Married. It reminds me of when you are playing a game for the first time and you play what you think is the winning hand and then the guy who owns the games says "oh I forget to tell you that if I am holding this card when you play those I win instead of you".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Yeager
United States
Sykesville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My church calls them married, why not the state? Same marriage ceremony as straight couples, what's the problem with calling them what they are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.