Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am coming off back surgery, so I am likely out of action for the next few months. I am in need of employment once I get going. I have fallen further and further behind. I am just not having things click for me. I am writing here to see if I can get help. Below is some my background:

* BS Degree Management, Masters Information Systems. Graduated with good GPA also.
* I have years of IT experience, which now is actually multiple years ago, which might help, but since it is over 6 months ago, it ends up being something recruiters can't work with. I did test, software development, helpdesk and Unix System admin. I have a few years experience in a lot of areas.
* You can see links to my game designs below. I am looking to get one published in a magazine recently I hope, if all goes well. You will see I have created over 70 games in my life, of the tabletop variety, doing documentation of rules in them.
* I started two organizations still functioning. CADERS is one. The other is IAGO, a non-profit registered in NY. IAGO is at: http://www.IAGOWeb.com . One has a functioning management team in place, and the other has a functioning community. It just worked out that way actually. This work had a recruiter speak of targeting online community manager as a spot.
I could forward my resume on. I am getting weary of doing years of unpaid work. I want to get a career going, so I am reaching out there for help. If you have any leads, or someone in the industry you know who can help me get on actual project work that would land a job that would get my career going, that would be beneficial. I am writing seeking this, risking putting myself out there. Because of my interest level, and also what I have been working on, it would be best if it is connect with games in some capacity, which is the reason for writing here, in hopes someone can help.

If you can help, please contact me. Please do not give me the usually, "work on your resume, elevator pitch, cover letter, yadda, yadda, yadda" because I have. I need actual connections here and to get something going. Do NOT give me the usual networking advice either (Yes folks, I do know that LinkedIn does exist, and I was able to find a recruiter who told me to target community manager with it). I need leads or at least ways to build up a portfolio to better my odds. My issues would be either I am not finding the right leads, or my portfolio is insufficient. It isn't a polish issue. If you can help, please post below (or contact me via Geekmail). Again, I need help here. I want to get working, paid, and on my own, rather than where I am. There has to be something out there, and I am requesting help now, if you can. I want to start to get results.

If I would say there would be one area worth targeting, it would be companies that make games for portable devices, because of my work being primarily in the tabletop games arena.

If you can help, I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Meadows
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll work on getting friends to at least thumb-up your post so more will see it. Sorry I can't help more (besides praying for the right job to find you sooner).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much good luck, man. You seem to have solid knowledge/skills/experience...

I know is not the post you are expecting. But I don't know, surely you are already looking at freelance bid sites (the very few of them not being an exploiting center), better if looking for contract work for larger better paid gigs. Indeed, forget the bid sites advice... I am sorry I don't know of any good gig for programming right now... In web programming, though, I often see requests for PHP/MYSQL programmers, action script programmers, ruby on rails, and in the game field, seems a lot of Unity programmers (it's a script, and heavily helped by a great GUI, allowing cross platform games including mobile, Mac, Win) are wanted now, but both that and iphone field look also quite underpaid, imho.... Maybe as became crowded. Still, have seen several nice offers, from time to time.

If you are good at PHP/MYSQL imho there must quite many options... (and if not, might be a good language/system to go learning in the meanwhile...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at school districts. There are websites that post jobs. With your experience, you could get a 2 year provisional teaching degree. That gives you the time to A) Take the state test to get a permanent certification or B) Get the classes you need to get your permanent certification.
Teaching computers and/or business classes would be right up your alley.

If teaching isnt for you, every school district has an Technology department.

Just a thought to give you another direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.