Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: STILL more questions about DESCENT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kramer

Ohio
msg tools
Hello all again,
Well, another session of DESCENT. We moved a bit more smoothly than the first time. However we STILL did not make it to the end!!! The players bombarded me (again the O.L.) w/ qeustions. So w/o further comments here are a FEW ( probably of many)more-
1. For the MASTER spider, does it use its poison first THEN its web? OR vice versa?
2. The hell hound has the BREATH ability & also a PIERCE 3. Does this meanthat his breath has the pierceing capability?
3. When transporting BACK into the dungeon, do you come back from where you left OR back to the entrance to the dungeon.
4. Lastly, is there any way to give the monsters better health? My players saw right through them.

Thank you all for any info & reference it will be GREATLY appreciated!cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Albani
Germany
Achern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. For the MASTER spider, does it use its poison first THEN its web? OR vice versa?
A: They may use both abilitys at the same time, e.g. a Spider does 3
wouds to a hero (after armor). As result of the sucessful attack, he gets a web (Web-Ability), and as result of the 3 wounds, he gets 3 poison markers(Poson Ability).

2. The hell hound has the BREATH ability & also a PIERCE 3. Does this meanthat his breath has the pierceing capability?
A: Yes, like spiders, you can always use all of your abilitys.

3. When transporting BACK into the dungeon, do you come back from where you left OR back to the entrance to the dungeon.
A:You come back through an active glyph of your choice.

4. Lastly, is there any way to give the monsters better health? My players saw right through them.
A: Monsters are scaled by the number of players, so with 4 Heros, use the card that says 5 players! But you can´t upgrade them...

Hope that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Does it matter? The poison is resolved at the same time as wounds, and the web won't matter before the Hero's next turn.
2. Yes.
3. A Hero returning to the dungeon may do so at any activated glyph.
4. That would be a house rule. Also, there is a card in the expansion the Overlord can use to heal a monster.

Edit: ninja'd ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gemmett
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Well the others handled your queries pretty good, I only have to contribute this; When my group was getting descent for the first time the OL would get lucky as to kill the heros enough to cause a game over, although it can happen. Many people I came across feel the Game is best balanced with 3 or 4 heroes as opposed to one or two, and witht he expansions up to and including "Road to Legend". I'm only mentioning this because of your last question. I can suggest some house rules we have installed to make it a little better though.

killing a master monster only rewards 25G not 50G

expand the OL hand to 10 cards not 7
heroes can only drink one potion per turn(we originally over looked that)

LOS is 6 spaces give or take, minus obstacles and other characters.

creatures with undying get armor and hp restored every time they are restored

The OL can change the placement of objects in a room I.E. chests and potions if he/she believes it necessary ( so you don't do a suicide run to get the gold treasure and one shot the boss before it activates.

There are others also but I can't think of right now. And with the expansions the OL gets stronger traps and monsters.

I know some people are naturalists and don't beleive in house rules or changing things, But I encourage it as for my group it makes it more interesting.

sincerely,

Gabriel

P.S. Remember, If you can activate some of the ancient glyphs of transport in the dungeon, all the better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Albani
Germany
Achern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corpsgasm wrote:

creatures with undying get armor and hp restored every time they are restored

uhmmm....
this sounds like you changed the armor value of a monster after an attack!
This would be a gamechanging missinterpretation! The armorvalue is used for all attacks against the monster and never decreases permanently (pierce only decreases the armor value on the current attack!!!)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.