Jeff Overweg
United States
ZEELAND
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second preview has been posted: Dwarves Don't Fear The Long Dark
Erebor Battle Master has the potential to be super powerful in a Dwarf deck, although I am not a fan of the art.
The preview also states that it should be in stores next week and that the hero will be from the tactics sphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, all good cards. Erebor Battle Master is very strong - even with just the two dwarf heroes from the core set he provides the highest attack for 3 resources so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Great cards they spoiled. All three look really playable in any dwarf deck.

They also mention a tactics hero coming in the next preview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil L

Winston-Salem
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow-- if you play a Dwarf deck, Ever My Heart Rises is an immediate add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beano
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CamelCity wrote:
Wow-- if you play a Dwarf deck, Ever My Heart Rises is an immediate add.

It of course depends on the quest. If there are no mountain or Underground locations it is a waste of a card. If there are locations of that type, it is fantastic, particularly on a Gimli or Gloin with a Dain boost. It is a bit like Dwalin, although orcs seem to be a bit more universally in play. I would have definitely preferred they give it a less powerful ability that is applicable in scenarios without those particular location type like Ancestral Knowledge does.

The Erebor Battle Master is definitely a stud. I was having difficulty getting Veteran of Nanduhirion in my decks anyway. Now there is really nothing to think about. The Battle Master is better in every way for all practical purposes other than the 1 extra defense. It is arguably a better deal than Veteran Axehands as well (although it is even better in combo together).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Next Week?! Wow... I wonder if there is going to be something in between the end of Dwarrowdelf and the start of The Hobbit or if will just be short commons.

Any guesses on the "superb new Tactics hero"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boghog
Germany
flag msg tools
compton9890 wrote:
The Erebor Battle Master is definitely a stud.

Agreed. Terrible artwork, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please be a tactics hero with 2 willpower

Very nice cards. my Eowyn, Bilbo and Thalin deck has been waiting for the Armor and the spirit card is a very nice addition to help with threat and making Thalin ready after questing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Kamakaze wrote:

Elladan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:

Elladan?

Sorry. A good tactics hero with 2 willpower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
Kamakaze wrote:
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:

Elladan?

Yeah, pound for pound he loses to Legolas who can put 2 tokens on the Quest without even committing to the Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:
Bullroarer Took wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:

Elladan?

Yeah, pound for pound he loses to Legolas who can put 2 tokens on the Quest without even committing to the Quest.

I don't know, while I like Legolas, I prefer Elladan as long as Elrohir is in play...I used Elladan recently in the Khazad-Dum scenarios and he was a lifesaver...never wanted to use him for questing...had him armed with Rivendell Bow, Rivendell Blade, & Blade of Gondolin...a couple rounds after another player put an attachment on him that granted him more resources, he killed 5 orc enemies in play by himself, in one round alone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
But in many scenarios, the Elven brothers seem just too costly for what they do. And it may take long to equip them properly. However, when some cards with ready effects for the Noldor come up, it may change things a bit, to use their questing and combat prowess in a single round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Quinti
Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guessing (and that's a BIG guess) 2 possibilities: Gwaihir as a new tactics hero or another dwarf.

The former is a bit unlikely, now that we are boosting Noldor/Silvan and Dwarfs. But hey, first AP in Dwarrowdelf introduced a new Rohan ally .

The latter more plausible, but what dwarf? And with this one tactics will have 3 dwarfy heroes .

PS: oh hell, and now Glorfindel entered my mind as the TRUE warrior he is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would be really concerned if it is another Dwarf. It is actually one aspect of the game so far I have hard time understanding: there are now 6 Dwarven heroes already with a few surely coming up in the Hobbit expansion.

My vote (and hope) for Glorfindel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
badge
Thank you, to whoever gifted me the Geek Citizenship Recognition badge! You're a pretty cool person, anonymous BGGer!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with multiple versions of heroes/allies/etc. and I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of Glorfindel at some point.

But getting a version of an already existing hero right after a pack in which we just got a version of an already existing hero in Aragorn? That would kind of bug me.

There's so many of Tolkien's characters that would be great to see. Let's get at least a few more of those in the mix first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattr0polis wrote:
I have no problem with multiple versions of heroes/allies/etc. and I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of Glorfindel at some point.

But getting a version of an already existing hero right after a pack in which we just got a version of an already existing hero in Aragorn? That would kind of bug me.

There's so many of Tolkien's characters that would be great to see. Let's get at least a few more of those in the mix first.

Hear, hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Coon
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
jpraibis wrote:
I would be really concerned if it is another Dwarf. It is actually one aspect of the game so far I have hard time understanding: there are now 6 Dwarven heroes already with a few surely coming up in the Hobbit expansion.

My vote (and hope) for Glorfindel.

And I have to think that they need to be saving some Dwarf heroes for The Hobbit although it might just be Thorin & Balin, then Fili & Kili.

I have a feeling we are NOT going to see Gwaihir in spite of the art work, and especially in an adventure pack titled "The Long Dark".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Gwaihir (as a tactics Hero or high cost ally) will turn up in the Hobbit Saga Expansion part I or II.

Not sure about Glorfindel. Maybe Merry as a high Willpower, low attack Tactics Hero? The Hobbit trait is currently supported by FFG and we do need some sort of different Tactics Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boghog wrote:
compton9890 wrote:

Really reminds me of SmallWorld

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrsinor wrote:
boghog wrote:
compton9890 wrote:

Really reminds me of SmallWorld

Yeah it kind of does actually. Totally different companies though. I also wouldn't consider this a compliment since the artwork for Small World is specifically designed to look goofy and light-hearted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.