Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Parkinson
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so I understand the main goal is to get two benchmark tokens by landing exactly to the top of the track and not go over. However, when do you do the scoring. After each phase do you score everything you did in that phase and then move your token?
For example lets say I build in a way that lets me move and land directly on top when that one build is scored. Do I add up those points immediately or do I have to wait until all the building is done as someone else may later build and give me some bonus points pushing me past the top of the track.
So in short I understand there are many ways to score but they all do so and different times throughout the gameplay of the phase. When is the scoring recorded and my token moved?

Thanks,

Jared
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything appears to be scored immediatally which is important as you get immediate control on how often you get the two stars. I found myself often goign with lesser point plays jsut to ensure I landed on a double star or if I couldn't, messing up someone elses.

The one timing question came up for us was when one of us played a first floor building that would give another player 2 points, they also had a card that scored one point when another player played a first floor building. He was one point away from the top...if the one hits first he gets double...if they hit together he doesn't...in the end we ruled he got double as we decided it was two parts...Placing the building and Scoring the building. The card scored the one point during placement. The other two points hit when the building was scored.

Not sure if that was right or not but we played with that mentality the rest of the way to be fair to everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring happens in a very natural way. Whenever you do something the scoring applicable to that action is tallied up in total and then added to your scoreboard pawn.

So, if you play a first floor building that scores you 4 points plus 2 bonus points for your bidding chip being on one of the zones, plus 1 point for being near a community tile, and you also had the City Treasures role card in play so you score a point because it was a first floor building. So, that's 8 points total and you add them to your scoreboard all at once.

If some other player had the City Treasures role card in play then they would have gotten 1 point that they added to their scoreboard at the same time.

The scoring effects of each action you take, or actions other players take that affect you, are totaled and scored as one event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Teserovitch
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoren wrote:

The one timing question came up for us was when one of us played a first floor building that would give another player 2 points, they also had a card that scored one point when another player played a first floor building. He was one point away from the top...if the one hits first he gets double...if they hit together he doesn't...in the end we ruled he got double as we decided it was two parts...Placing the building and Scoring the building. The card scored the one point during placement. The other two points hit when the building was scored.

Not sure if that was right or not but we played with that mentality the rest of the way to be fair to everyone

I believe you played it incorrectly. All points related to a building being placed are scored at the same time. If a first floor building being placed gives a single player 2 bonus points for a bidding chip and 1 point for a role card, that player gets 3 points for that building. They are not seperate events. The last page of the rules has a handy reference describing the scoring in each phase.

edit: I obviously am on the forums as much as the publisher. I must like this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anthony...Sorry, that was not the correct way, but if it provided harmony at the table then it was the "right" way.

Think of each turn as a scoring event. An action happens, all of the scoring effects of that action on all players are tallied up and added to the scoreboard as a single pawn move.

Don't over-think it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a fine "right" way for the moment especially since I erred on the side of the player...but I was asking it to determine the real "right" way for the future. Thanks for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.