Subject: Question about guards in the 2 player variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AS I understand it, in order to score a route and/or place new resources on a route, the pawn must be standing in a province that borders the route. The guards act as extra "borders" seperating provinces. All of the guards except one connect two cities which makes it easy to distinguish which provinces border a particular route. However, one of the guards (upper right I think) has his feet on a city, but his head is right smack in the middle of a route. Is it me, or does this make it a bit confusing as to which provinces border that "bisected" route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the cities are intended to be the vertexes, and that's how we play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
I think that the cities are intended to be the vertexes, and that's how we play it.

So you "tilt" the guard just a tad so that he connects two cities? That works for me.

Oh...in one of your reviews you mentioned that Caylus is "zero sum" as a two player. What is meant by "zero sum"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
out4blood wrote:

So you "tilt" the guard just a tad so that he connects two cities? That works for me.

Oh...in one of your reviews you mentioned that Caylus is "zero sum" as a two player. What is meant by "zero sum"?

In two-player game terms, it means that moves which help me are equivalent to moves that hurt you. This is generally not the case with more than two players, where attacking a particular player disadvantages you with respect to a third player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh. That makes sense. Thanks for answering my questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.