Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
we just tried to play our first game of arkham horror

and i gotta say i didn't enjoy it at all, i just couldnt understand so many of the rules, do you guys recommend any good tutorial videos?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Frank
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What rules did you not understand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should ABSOLUTELY look at this series of tutorial video ... I have never seen tutorials so great!

This is the first part:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/2025/arkham-horror/arkham...

After looking at the whole series (11 parts) you'll be able to understand the game perfectly!

Roberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Yeah, Learn with someone. I also had the same issue when I tried to learn myself. It got me to BGG which was nice, but it takes many plays to get it right. Don't give up it is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrGorianDray wrote:
and i gotta say i didn't enjoy it at all, i just couldnt understand so many of the rules,

The rulebook is pretty confusing! Most folks have a problem starting out with this game, trying to piece together the game flow.

However, do check out the videos, and look for turn flowcharts in the files section. They are much better than the included rulebook for understanding movement, both in Arkham & Outer Worlds, Combat and how Gates work. Not to mention the terror track and what the end-game conditions actually are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second the video linked above. I watched it (two or three times) before playing, and once after playing, and it helped GREATLY. Highly, highly recommended.

Then consider a print-out from the Files section. I really like this one as a very simple-to-understand sheet. Universal Head has one that is much more in-depth, which is great too, but this one suffices for most things, and is much shorter. I ended up printing this one and UH's both, but this one was the first one I used, and it's really simple and well laid out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ryan
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
cheers everyone, im gonna print out the files suggested and spend tomorrow watching those videos, i love lovecraft and really want to love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Rex
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrGorianDray wrote:
cheers everyone, im gonna print out the files suggested and spend tomorrow watching those videos, i love lovecraft and really want to love this game

Don't worry, I love HPL and I hated AH at first too. It took us about three games to get into it but I didn't know about the videos or BGG so you should find it much easier. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tudor
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 6 games in and I still forget rules This weekend I completely forgot about players losing their items when the get to zero sanity.

I'd recommend the Headless Hollow guide. I read through this guide and the one above several times and they helped a lot.

And remember the golden rule of Arkham Horror: 'follow the phases'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wahoffelmadenga wrote:
I'm 6 games in and I still forget rules This weekend I completely forgot about players losing half their items and Clues, along with all Retainers when they get to zero sanity or stamina.
FTFY

Worth being complete and accurate when reminding people about rules wot we has forgot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.