Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't have anyone else to teach me this game, I'm relying on myself to read the rulebook. But is information overload for me!

I'm recalling how easy it was to get into tough games like Tobruk, Squad Leader and recently Nightfighter. All on the upper end of the complexity scale, but made more accessible by only learning a bit at a time.

I could sure go for that in PQ-17.

It would be nice to learn naval combat, air recon and attack, submarine attacks, etc. one-by-one. Maybe when I'm in prison (just kidding) or laying around recovering from surgery (regretfully a reality this summer) I'll weed through the rules as they stand.

If there is a sequel to PQ-17, it would sure be nice for it to have Programmed Instruction!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get playing, a lot of it starts falling into place. I am in my second PBEM VASSAL game now and I think both of us have learned a lot by just playing.

I also recommend gbaker59's combat procedures guide.

Additionally, I am currently drafting an 'Extended' Expanded Sequence of Play to help myself along and will probably share that on BGG when I get it done in the next week or two.

It is a game worth playing I assure you!

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An Extended Expanded SoP would be great. I'll be watching for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've probably played through a good chunk of the first (introductory) mission by myself a couple of times to teach myself the rules. You can then "cheat" on one of the turns by "pretending" it is daylight to allow the German player to get in some bombing practice runs on the British convoy and TF's. Works out well as a learning scenario as you don't have to worry about very many ships (nothing bigger than a destroyer on the German side for example), only a single convoy, etc.

Can't wait as I get to play it for the first time against a live opponent (hopefully) this Memorial Day weekend. I'm planning on skipping straight to scenario 2 to see the game in all its glory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Workman
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting up the pieces and following the detailed play example in the back of the play book will go a long way towards your understanding of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let you know I have submitted my Extended Expanded Sequence of Play. It should have everything you need to play an Operation without having to refer to the rulebook. Hopefully it will not take too long to get approved.

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.