Subject: Is there a boardgame like Necromunda? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if people remember the Necromunda game from Games Workshop, but I was wondering if there was anything similar like it, but in a boardgame format, rather than with lots of measuring etc.

Basically what I'm looking for:

- a game where people can build squads which can improve and change between games (Blood Bowl does this too)

- minis are ok, but chits would be fine too (maybe preferable as they're more transportable, no painting required).

- a board is a must, don't want to mess about with tape measures etc

So anything out there like this, other than BloodBowl?

Edit:
Oh also, must be in-print and easy to get hold of :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is there a boarsgame like Necromunda?
I believe there are a few. I'm not 100% sure, but Star Wars Miniatures seem to be what you might be looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incursion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
Early American Sharp Shooter - Roger's Rangers
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is hard to match Necromunda. However I do recommend both Earth Reborn and Tannhäuser which have a similar feel, in play at least, for the board game world. Of course they both are lacking the whole campaign character progression mode, which is one of the things that makes Necromunda so great...

Otherwise there are the other Games Workshop games Gorkamorka, Mordheim: City of the Damned, and Mongoose'sGangs of Mega-City One and Rackham's Confrontation: Dogs of War as far as miniature games, not mentioned yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if Earth Reborn fits your criteria, but I think you would like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Battletech Introductory Box Set, which was re-released fairly recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be easy to translate Necromunda to a hex and counter game. Translating the measurements in the rules to 4 inches=1 hex, with some stacking limits (say, 4 figs on each side per hex) and making close combat contact=in the same hex.

You might have to make the maps and counters yourself, but simple ones should not be too difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
The various games by Ganesha Games can be adapted to almost any minis. I know that in Song of Blades and Heroes there are optional rules for playing on a hex map rather than measuring the standard way for SoBH (which uses special measuring sticks). I am not as familiar with Flying Lead (just recently got the rules and haven't had a chance to try them yet) but I assume it can be adapted like the SoBH and would be more appropriate to emulating Necromunda. Other possible Ganesha system is Mutants and Death Ray Guns (for a more post-apocalypse feel).

The other system that might work well is Savage Worlds Showdown!, another generic system that can be adapted to a variety of settings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the answer seems to be 'no' then? The key bit is the 'progression', that's what I'm really looking for.

I'm goin to look into digging out my old Bloodbowl set, and seeing if I can just print up some token to use instead of minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn is what you're looking for, minus the game-to-game progression. With that said, there's a very well designed "mission generator" included with the base game that will give you a limitless number of scenarios.

If you are specifically looking for the "progression" aspect, then Grind has free league rules that have fairly in-depth options for progression. And before you say "but that's only for LEAGUE", my wife and I routinely do our own 2 player league where her and I set a game limit (say, 8 games) and just play our team through those 8 games.

Descent's expansions have game-to-game progression, but I'm pretty sure those expansions are OOP. I have no idea if the new edition has that.

Cadwallon: City of Thieves has an upcoming expansion that allows you to carry over some stuff (experience, gear, etc) from game to game, but I'd wait until that's actually out.

If you really crave that game-to-game progression, I think that you simply can't help it: try some PnP RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest and Descent with the Road to Legend/Sea of Blood are boardgames (using tiles) and have rules for character progression (not squads/gangs). They are OOP and expensive though. (Descent 2nd edition is coming out soon though, summer maybe?) I still own and adore Necromunda, and I honestly get a similar feeling from Earth Reborn, so I'd have to +1 those recommendations as well...despite the lack of continuity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRiddler1976 wrote:
So the answer seems to be 'no' then? The key bit is the 'progression', that's what I'm really looking for.

I'm goin to look into digging out my old Bloodbowl set, and seeing if I can just print up some token to use instead of minis.

Mutants and Death Ray Guns has advancement and you also have to keep your warband fed and supplied. Song of Blades and Heroes has a basic campaign system and en expanded one in Song of Deeds and Glory, but those are more geared to fantasy than Necroumnda-style gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Manuel García García
Spain
Madrid
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Although I get a little late to the discussion, there is a game king of what you need: Carnevale
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/114504/carnevale

Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.