Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Casual Game with minimal downtime? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myron Gaines
msg tools
I've got a fairly casual group of board games and we've played Citadels/Dominion/Settlers. All 3 have received positive feedback from the group, Ease of learning, light strategy and interaction seem to be key. The common complaint is the downtime between turns. We typically play with groups of 4-5 and everybody tends to spend a little more time than necessary to play their turn which drags the game with the amount of down time.

Any suggestions on a casual game (with some strategic depth) that has minimal down time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Well, that's, like, your opinion, man
mbmbmb
7 Wonders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg: Turns are simple and can be played simultaneously. It's a simple game with deep decision making and good strategic scope. Interaction is limited but it is fun and what others do should influence you. 2-5 players. It'll take 90-120 mins with 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter!!! There is practically zero downtime due to people potentially being allies when it's not their turn.

Also The Resistance. Hidden traitor game with SO much greatness and SO little downtime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 7 wonders. Great game! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan can have some downtime, but even I'm quick with it and I have horrible AP.

In Deukalion people get to do stuff even when it's not their turn and fighting happens by throwing around meeples.

Arcana doesn't have a lot of down time but lots of interaction. (cards/deck building)

Take 5! is a small card game, you play at the same time.

Zooloretto: The Dice Game's not that big on strategic depth, but you can lose abysmally if you don't do any thinking at all. (Dice game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 groups casual game groups that I run at work during my lunch hour. The following games have gone down well,

- Carcassonne
- Ticket to Ride
- Forbidden Island
- Pandemic
- Perudo
- Pickomino
- Pack & Stack
- Elder Sign
- Dominion
- City Square Off
- Coloretto
- Escalation
- Loot
- No Thanks!

Am aiming to get the following on the table,

- Alhambra
- Thurn and Taxis
- The Stars Are Right
- The Gardens of Alhambra
- Dungeon Raiders
- Turn the Tide
- Vineta
- Wings of War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryken C

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit

absolutely zero downtime, but maybe a bit too casual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Brone

Kentucky
msg tools
just started playing "Lord of the Rings" living card game. Great 4 player game, they say you need to buy two copies of the game. So far we were able to use one coppy, and keep the "threat" score on paper. We have played this game every night for the last week and half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I dislike it personally, it does sound like 7 Wonders is something you may wish to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 7 Wonders

I'd also put Bohnanza up for consideration. It may be a bit too low on strategy but it has a lot of interaction a pretty much no downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimoire has a continually changing turn order and goes very fast. Players effect each other during their turns and vice versa so there is a lot of interaction.
Rattus is a quick moving game as well again interacting with other players all the time during turns.
Eruption can be very fast paced and makes players go against one another consistently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How about King of Tokyo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive! (4 player)

Ease of learning - simpler than anything listed in the OP
Light strategy - ehm, is backstab strategy?
interaction - see: backstab.

Havent played it yet (only soloed) and seems a light, fun game. There is some strategy, of course, but mostly it's running away and killing stuff of other players.

If people analyse too much over this game, just devour their people with a sea serpent or whatever you have handy. They should also thank you for having less people to think about...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Biblios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it yet, but I just acquired Sultan and it looks like it has very little downtime. And it's easy to learn so it would work nicely with casual gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo J
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
+1 for Cosmic Encounters. It just doesn't feel like downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two big recommendations for light games that play with 2-5.

King of Tokyo is loads of fun, as long as your group doesn't mind games with a good amount of luck. I find that I don't care if I win or lose because I am always having a blast. Turns go quickly and there aren't any difficult decisions so downtime should be at a minimum.

Ticket to Rid is my other pick. I love the whole series. The rules are extremely simple, you can teach it in five minutes, but it actually has some strategy to it and it plays very quickly. The fact that there are many different maps only adds to the replay value.

EDIT: Seven Wonders is fantastic, but not nearly as good with less than four, though I don't know if that is a factor for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
+1 for 7 Wonders

I'd also put Bohnanza up for consideration. It may be a bit too low on strategy but it has a lot of interaction a pretty much no downtime.

I came to list the same two games.

Bohnanza has you making deals with the other players when it's not your turn, and 7 Wonders has everyone taking their turns simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paolojackson wrote:
+1 for Cosmic Encounters. It just doesn't feel like downtime.

This....CE is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Cosmic Encounter.

Let me add:

Metropolys. Lots of fun. My review: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/564532/metropolys-great-tact...
Chicago Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Metropolys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.