Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a fan of the game, I think I should point out that Magnate doesn’t need any variants to make it better - I’m not sure it can be better. It’s a fantastic game as is. That being said, I’ve come up with a double deck variant that may appeal to some players.

MEGA Magnate

Description

A “double your fun” variant for Magnate where players vie for control over 9 districts.

Components

2 Decktets are required to play.
I suggest having about 20 chips of each suit with this variant.
Optional: generic tokens in 2 colours to mark control over each district as the game progresses

Setup

Separate the Crowns, Pawns, Courts and Excuses from the rest of the deck and set aside one Excuse - it is not needed for the game. If you wish to play with the Courts (recommended), all 8 may be shuffled in with the main play deck; otherwise set them aside too.

Establish the Districts by laying out the 8 Pawns and The Excuse in a line.

Shuffle the 12 Crowns together and deal each player 6 of them as their starting resources. Each player gets one chip per Crown in their starting take as usual. During the game, a roll of 10 will provide each player with 6 matching chips during the “collect resources” phase.

Each player starts with a 6 card hand.

Game play

The game is played normally with the following changes:

During the “play a card” phase, each player will play 2 cards from their hand. After playing the first card, players are free to trade/allocate resources before playing the second card. Subsequently, they will draw two cards at the end of their turn.

2 d6 are rolled for taxation. If both dice indicate the same suit, only one suit is taxed this turn. (We've only played with regular taxation - this rule is inspired by a comment on another thread and I think it will work great).

That’s it!

Discussion

This variant is the result of playing a lot of Myrmex and pondering the possibilities of what other double deck Decktet games might look like. I think it is a world pregnant with possibilities. The line of 9 districts is a migrant from a very different 2p single deck game that I developed last year, but haven’t quite finished (playtesters welcome).

This variant plays out in about 45 mins to an hour, which will likely be a deterrent for some. The obvious question is whether the game play is improved/different enough to justify this expenditure of time. Ultimately it is a matter of taste, but here are the two things which stand out for us:

The biggest change in the game is being able to sell your first card, trade resources and then play a second card. This is something I’ve always wanted to do in Magnate and this variant allows it. The second difference is that the new Ace rule really comes into its own here. Last game, my son had 4 Aces developed by game end and it was enough to give him a 5-4 win. The Aces seemed more significant with these rules. Cash is still tight for most of the game, but some games you are floating in chips at the end with nothing to buy!

Feedback is welcome. I hope others enjoy MEGA Magnate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, though I think I'd probably prefer it's normal version. The 9 card line makes me think of Battle Line even more. Is that perchance your other game you are working on? I'd love to read the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gm sent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg J
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

Got in another game with this variant, this time using the roll 2d6 taxation rule and it worked great. Here's how it finished:

Red (my son) won the game 5-4 on the very last card. I had my son cornered, but I rolled a 7 for resources on my turn (which gave me two chips and him 10 chips!) and he rolled a 10 on his last turn to garner 6 more chips. This was just enough for him to slap down The Rite and The Consul and steal the win. Great finish!

The game took exactly 60 minutes (we're pretty quick players) and was a real nail biter all the way through. At one point, I was up 7-2, so anything can happen. Note that there were 8 Aces in play at the end of the game - the new standard Ace rule really comes to life in this variant.

If you have the time and want an even more epic Magnate experience, this variant is worth a try. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.