Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing solo tonight and my first "Raid" effect card came up. The card stated to destroy 1 card in play. Does that mean I just destroy a single card on a stack in the village or do I remove an entire card type from play? If that's the case, can I just remove the "Torch" or "Regular" card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
You destroy 1 card from the cards you just used (in play) to enter the Dungeon.

Basically, you used certain cards from your hand to attack a Monster in the Dungeon Hall. We'll say 2 heroes, 1 weapon, and 1 light item. That's 4 out of 6 cards from you hand. You defeated the monster and had to re-fill the hall. The next monster revealed has this "Raid" effect printed on it. You destroy 1 of the 4 cards that you just had in play because it is still your current turn. Discarding cards and re-filling your hand should be the last thing you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robman wrote:
You destroy 1 card from the cards you just used (in play) to enter the Dungeon.

Basically, you used certain cards from your hand to attack a Monster in the Dungeon Hall. We'll say 2 heroes, 1 weapon, and 1 light item. That's 4 out of 6 cards from you hand. You defeated the monster and had to re-fill the hall. The next monster revealed has this "Raid" effect printed on it. You destroy 1 of the 4 cards that you just had in play because it is still your current turn. Discarding cards and re-filling your hand should be the last thing you do.

I don't know about that. I thought you you revealed your whole hand when you went to village or dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
You do reveal your hand, but you choose which cards are in play. For example, an unequipped weapon or a Monster (without a Trophy) are not in "in play."

The purpose of this Raid effect is to destroy something that was just used to defeat a Monster.

EDIT: So I just went back to read the actual text of the Blackflock Ravenger. It reads, "Raid: The active player destroys 1 card present."

So, initially I went off the OP use of words, "in play." I should have double checked the card before posting... my bad.

page 29 of the rulebook wrote:
This raid effect destroys a card in the active player's hand--after a fight, but before discarding the hand at the end of the turn. The Raid effect does not occur when a hero or village card allows you to look at cards in the dungeon deck.

This should clarify the question made by the OP. Sorry for the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the confusion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Thanks for the clarification and sorry for the confusion!

It's all good! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Benavente
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's where its not making any sense to me though: In the rules for solo play it states, "When you defeat a monster, add it to your discard pile. DO NOT REFILL the hall as you would in the NORMAL game. It will refill by itself when you reveal the top card of the dungeon deck at the END of the turn." The reason this is contradictory is because in normal multiplayer play, the emptied space in the hall is immediately filled in while you still have your cards in play before the turn ends. And I don't believe you still have your cards in play after the end of the turn because in solo, the last thing to occur is the dungeon refilling itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I've been playing it wrong then. So would the raid effects happen to your new hand? I must go dig out the rule books!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
ACGalaga wrote:
Man, I've been playing it wrong then. So would the raid effects happen to your new hand? I must go dig out the rule books!

I've always assumed that was one the purposes of the change for solo play. Raid affects your new hand, not your previous one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

I've always assumed that was one the purposes of the change for solo play. Raid affects your new hand, not your previous one.

This is not correct. Per the game rules;

Raid Effects

Some monsters have a Raid effect in their text
box. When you refill the hall, and a monster
with a Raid effect gets turned face up, the
Raid effect occurs immediately.
If the Raid
effect involves a decision, the active player
makes the decision.

So the raid would affect your current hand, not your new hand..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Swaygodeus wrote:
xris wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

This is not correct. Per the game rules;

Raid Effects

Some monsters have a Raid effect in their text
box. When you refill the hall, and a monster
with a Raid effect gets turned face up, the
Raid effect occurs immediately.
If the Raid
effect involves a decision, the active player
makes the decision.

So the raid would affect your current hand, not your new hand..

Well, this is what we were discussing and it's a bit different in solo mode.

Solo Play (rulebook p38)
When you defeat a monster, add it to your
discard pile. Do not refill the hall as you would
in the normal game. It will refill by itself when
you reveal the top card of the dungeon deck
at the end of the turn.

And to clarify "end of the turn"...

End Your Turn
If the Thunderstone Bearer remains
undefeated, discard any cards remaining in
your hand and draw a new hand of six cards.
All abilities and effects end at this time. Play
passes to the player on your left.

So since you end your turn before you fill the hall in Solo mode, Raid Effects should affect your new hand.

In a regular game it affects your current hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured that was the case...I've never played solo mode...I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Swaygodeus wrote:
Figured that was the case...I've never played solo mode...I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions!

No worries! I played my friends copy of Thunderstone and then have been playing since I bought a copy of Towers of Ruin a couple years ago... and only now did I learn that the raid rule is different for solo mode.

TSA is a pretty good game to play solo IMO. Give it a go if you have a chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.