Subject: who dares to be the Gorgon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I've been playing CE for the last 3 with the FFG reprint of the game. So recently I got the new expansion and readily played it for the first time. The first game had the gorgon and my friend who played with the gorgon had a really poor time. No one wanted to be on the offense with him, nor invite him to be an offensive ally due to his ability.

So my question is this, why would anyone want to be the gorgon? His power seems to be more of a curse then a gift. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't purchased the new expansion yet. Can you elaborate on with the Gorgon power does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can see his card in the picture gallery, but here it is.

Whenever another player’s ships are about to be removed from any of your home planets and/or any planets on which you have a colony, unless those ships are being captured, sent to the warp, or removed from the game, use this power to prevent them from moving.

You do not lose this power because of having too few home colonies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, the text quoted above is the Cosmodex's recommended revision of the power. The version actually printed on the alien sheet looks like this:

When another player attempts to move any ships from one or more of your home planets or that are coexisting on any planet with your ships, use this power. That player must either leave those ships where they are or send them to the warp.

Your own ships are never sent to the warp as a result of your power.

You do not lose this power because of having too few home colonies.

This official version lets Gorgon's opponents decide whether to leave their ships where they are or send them to the warp, which provides lots of opportunities to thwart Gorgon's power. The revision moves the gameplay back toward Mayfair's original design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaru Rainn
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe I'm not getting it, is that suppose to answer my question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played against it once in a 4 player game, and discovered that I really underestimated this power. I didn't think much of it going in, but it ended up being quite terrifying to everyone in the game and won.

As far as the alliance and diplomacy issues go, I suspect that you are right -- I can definitely imagine the other players turning against the Gorgon.

For that reason, he's probably better suited for games with lower player counts and I imagine loses much of his effectiveness when the player count is too high. That's just the way it goes with many of the aliens in the game though.

As usual, good wheeling and dealing can alleviate his political issues, because there are always things to tempt greedy or opportunistic players with even for a nuisance power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
pomander wrote:
Maybe I'm not getting it, is that suppose to answer my question?

No, it's supposed to clarify the post to which it refers.

Part of the answer to your question may be that while Gorgon generally doesn't get a lot of allies, the number of allies other offensive players get (and the number of ships those allies commit) will be generally reduced as well. Nobody wants to be part of the biggest multi-colony planet; that's just asking to be targeted by Gorgon.

Another (soft) benefit of the power is that few players will want to risk multiple ships when encountering Gorgon in his home system. Even when the offense has multiple allies, his overall ship count will remain low, letting you (on average) win with lower cards.

However, the "hard to attack at home" effect has never really been a big selling point for any alien, and Gorgon can be a hard power to play if your group goes heavy on offensive alliances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of games last night. In the first one, Kweku played Gorgon, and I got to see much better how it works.

The whole wrinkle about moving ships from a Gorgon planet to the warp makes more sense if you count those ships as part of the limit of 4 for ships on the cone. You can "free" your ships from the Gorgon planet, at the cost of putting fewer ships on the cone as an ally or as the offense. I'm not 100% sure that's what they meant, but it made sense to us (and admittedly, last night I was very tired and probably not as sharp as I should be to play Cosmic).

So yeah, Gorgon's overall effect is to suppress the number of available ships. I made the mistake of trying to research Precursor Seed, which requires 9 ships. Against Gorgon, it was just impossible, and I had to give up. Also, any time Gorgon was invited as an ally, few would commit more than one ship.

Normally, I would value a ship at being worth about 2-3 cards. With Gorgon in play, I'd probably go closer to 1:1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
The whole wrinkle about moving ships from a Gorgon planet to the warp makes more sense if you count those ships as part of the limit of 4 for ships on the cone. You can "free" your ships from the Gorgon planet, at the cost of putting fewer ships on the cone as an ally or as the offense. I'm not 100% sure that's what they meant, but it made sense to us (and admittedly, last night I was very tired and probably not as sharp as I should be to play Cosmic).

That seems to be doable in FFG's edition, which is yet another way they nerfed the Gorgon when they rewrote its effect. Original Gorgon wouldn't allow the ships to escape so easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me Gorgon should get as many offensive allies as anyone else - after all, they want those foreign colonies, don't they? Sure, they might only send one ship, but that's better than them allying on the other side. They wouldn't want to remove their last ship from a foreign colony anyway. Even without the Gorgon in the game, there's a gradual "drain" on ship availability, as you have more foreign colonies to hold onto.

Yes, you might not get as many offensive ally invitations, because players might want to commit more ships as a main player.

I would recommend playing by the Mayfair version, as given in Bill's Cosmodex.

However, Jefferson's interpretation that the moved ships sent to the warp count toward the launch/ally limit might also be good, though it may raise some unresolved issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

That seems to be doable in FFG's edition, which is yet another way they nerfed the Gorgon when they rewrote its effect. Original Gorgon wouldn't allow the ships to escape so easily.

The only real issue of the Gorgon power is if the Gorgon gets onto a base with a great number of tokens and more than one player...it locks those tokens on the planet.

It doesn't really matter for players with external bases with the Gorgon, ONLY Home systems with the GORGON. He'll have to strip more tokens from other home bases, making them easier to take for other players.

I'd love to see the GORGON on a planet that the AMOEBA just demolished with about 15 tokens!!!! OOPS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.