Subject: 2012 Internet Twilight Struggle League Finals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
There were 44 entrants, but now there are only 2 left standing! Congratulations to Riku Riekkinen and Gabor Foldes, the 2012 finalists for the Internet Twilight Struggle League!

Riku needs almost no introduction for the majority of competitive CDG players. He has won championships in 5 different Wargameroom leagues (For the People, Paths of Glory, 1989: Dawn of Freedom, Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, and Command & Colors: Ancients), so a victory here would add a 6th game to the list! Riku has also demonstrated his ability at the World Boardgaming Championships, where he was a champion in both For the People and Paths of Glory.

Riku finished the season with an awesome 11-1 regular season record, with his only loss to last year's champion Wu Haifu. He defeated George Young (8-8 ), Paul Huntley (11-4), and Mathieu Paré-Paquin (10-4) in best 2 out of 3 series to advance to the Championship Series.

Gabor, a newcomer to the league, finished the regular season at 5-4, did not win his division, and therefore had a much more difficult road to the Finals. Before he could make it to the 2 out of 3s, he had to advanced through 2 straight rounds of single elimination with the other "wild-cards." He did this by defeating both myself (7-9) and Rich Jenulis (8-8 ). He then defeated Brendan Majev (11-4), Daniel Dunbring (12-4), and Charles Robinson (11-5) to advance and face Riku.

So after a pretty long wait (the playoffs took longer than usual to resolve), it's Riku vs. Gabor in another best 2 out of 3 series! I'll report the results of the series later in this thread.

Is "news" a good forum for this, or would "sessions" be a better one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider it as "news".

Good luck to both finalist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a replay or turn breakdown of the final!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Wigdor
United States
Lake Hiawatha
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Congratulations to Gabor Foldes, the 2012 Internet Twilight Struggle League champion!

Gabor defeated Riku Riekkinen in two straight games to win his first ever ITSL Championship. Here are two brief writeups by Gabor:

--------------------

optional cards and +1US influence was used

Riku promised, that he will write a longer recap, but here is a short one until that:

Game1: Riku(USA)-Gabor(USSR)

I rolled great and played red scare 2 times,so i had some advantage(Riku decided to gave up France and WestGermany on turn1), after 4 turns. At the start of turn 5 i headlined quagmire and played missile envy in phase 1. Riku had to gave me SALT, and i got back red scare with it again. Riku missed his 1st roll on quagmire, so i played red scare, and he didnt have more 3op or higher card. This way i managed to get controll over europe. In turn 6 i got europe scoring, so i won by controlling Europe.

Game2: Riku(USSR)-Gabor(USA)

won in turn 7(reached 20 points). There was nothing special about this game, i rolled the dice great again, and Riku rolled 1s on some important coup attempts.

Thanks for the game Riku! It was fun to play with everyone! C U guys in the new season of the league!

------------------------

If Riku gives some longer write-ups, I will post them. In the mean time, Gabor adds his name to the list of ITSL Champions!

ITSL CHAMPIONS

2006 - Michael Loth (defeated Rick Young, 3-2)
2007 - Steven Bauer (defeated Rob March, 3-0)
2008 - Charles Féaux de la Croix (defeated Sakari Lahti, 3-2)
2010 - Wu Haifu (defeated Randy Pippus, 3-2)
2012 - Gabor Foldes (defeated Riku Riekkinen, 2-0)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.