Subject: attacking with heavy infantary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael vanTooren
Belgium
flag msg tools
Goodday,

Am I doing this right ?

I crept up with a heavy infantary under a bluff. I attack the widerstandsnest above.(using the weapons for ranged attack) while a HQ is adjacent to that unit. A tank unit is also in command of the HQ and joins the attack. All free actions.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelvanTooren wrote:
Goodday,

Am I doing this right ?

I crept up with a heavy infantary under a bluff. I attack the widerstandsnest above.(using the weapons for ranged attack) while a HQ is adjacent to that unit. A tank unit is also in command of the HQ and joins the attack. All free actions.

Michael

I'm going to go on a couple of assumptions, I'm sorry but some important details are missing in the way you have written this. I don't mean an insult if I have ...

I'm assuming because your "using the weapons for ranged attack" your heavy infantry is not adjacent to the WN position.

Do you have a unit adjacent to the WN position also involved in the attack? If not the attack is not valid.

I'm at work and do not have my rules in front of me but... re-read the section about attacking. You will see that in order for an attack to be valid you have to have at least one unit adjacent to the position attacking with the Heavy Infanty to be able to use it's range ability.

As for your question about free actions.... Yes the Heavy Infantry and the Tank would act for free if adjacent to the HQ. They would support an attack on the WN that was being conducted by another unit that is adjacent to the WN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael vanTooren
Belgium
flag msg tools
Gooday,

My heavy infantry unit is beside the widerstandsnest but below the bluff.
And as I read 8.15 a unit on the low ground ( beach or pavilion)may not attack across a bluff or cliff hexside unless capable of ranged fire. So thats why I was thinking that only the "ranged" weapons could be used.

Thats were I am not certain of.

And further as I look at 8.1. Tanks can attack if at least one of the attcking infanatry units is in command of any HQ or general. So if the heavy infantry in one hex away and attacking and also in command of HQ or General. Why cant the tank not join the attack? Am I missing something?

Greetings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelvanTooren wrote:
Am I missing something?

Greetings

Nope sounds like you got it right to me. The only thing I was in doubt of was if the Heavy Infantry was adjacent to the WN but you cleared that up with your last post.

I would say go for it and give them hell.

Congrats for getting a 7-2 unit that close I have a tough time with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi Michael and Jeff -- To further clarify, here is an item from the official addenda for the game, available for download here on BGG:

Clarification: A heavy infantry unit (range of 2) may attack across a bluff or cliff hexside, but only if another infantry unit is attacking the German position from an adjacent hex through an allowed hexside. Furthermore, a heavy infantry unit firing across a bluff or cliff is considered to possess weapons as if firing from a range of two hexes, even if adjacent to the target.

In Michael's example, the attack would not be allowed because an infantry unit is not attacking through an allowable hexside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael vanTooren
Belgium
flag msg tools
Goodday,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I start over again. Because than the way I did it gave me considerable advantage.

Greetings Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.