Subject: Euro 2004 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been looking forward to giving this a try and a finally managed to pin down three other people who had nowhere to run.

The group stage saw several high scoring games.
In group A, Portugal thrashed Greece 6-2, yet then relaxed and only finished second in the group on goal difference thanks to defeat by Russia and a draw with Spain. Greece topped the group with two comfortable wins following their wake up call against Portugal.

In group B the action was more subdued. Switzerland and Croatia ground out the most boring 0-0 draw in history. In the battle of the big guns, England triumphed over France 3-2 thanks to a last minute penalty. The French thought they had a draw after one of England's earlier goals was ruled out for foul play. England then cruised through the group stage with 3 wins. France came a distant second. Croatia failed to score a single goal.

The highlight of group C was Italy's 6-3 win over Sweden. Italy topped the group and Sweden came second with convincing wins over Bulgaria and Denmark.

And so to group D. Makeweights Latvia lived up to their billing and were dispatched with comfort by the three contenders. The Czechs beat the Dutch and the Dutch beat the Germans, leaving each team on 6 points. The final group game between Germany and the Czech Republic would decide the group winner. The final score was 2-2, so the Czechs went through as group winners with the Dutch second.

The quarter final stage was an odd affair; each player had two teams through and each player's teams were playing each other! So the game of cat and mouse ensued where the aim was to deny the opponents their best teams. The result was that defence was on top. Greece beat France 2-0. Italy beat the Netherlands on penalties after a 0-0 draw. England beat Portugal 2-0 and the Czech Republic beat Sweden 3-0.

Semi Finals
Greece 3 Italy 1
England 0 Czech republic 3

3rd/4th
Italy 3 England 4

Final
Greece 3 Czech Republic 3

Czech Republic won the penalty shoot out and were crowned tournament winners.

What did we think? Well, as the designer acknowledges, the game is based heavily on The World Cup Game. The consensus was that it does not reach the heights of The World Cup game, but it is a change and, perhaps crucially when it comes to persuading non-sports game fans to play a sports game, it plays much quicker. As a simple tournament simulator it works. The tough thing with these games is getting realistic scores. I think this game is about 80% there in that respect. We had 4 games with more than 5 goals scored. I think this is too many, but not "silly" too many.

The game had tension and I thought it was fun. None of the three people I had tied to their chairs got too grumpy and I think I might persuade some, if not all, of them to try it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report!
The scores were the biggest pain really. I guess I COULD have included attacks more but the problem with dice is that there are fewer options anyway. TWCG tends to have high scores, especially late on, but yeah these scores tend to be higher.

Glad it was kind of enjoyed - dice or card versions of games, especially homages are rarely as good so for anyone to at least think it was ok is good enough news for me! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Bracegirdle
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh it was enjoyed. Have no worries on that score.

Attack results would be tricky with a pen and paper dice game as you do not want too much book keeping, nor are too many re-rolls a good idea. I think the simplicity is what makes it distinctive from TWCG.

I thought of changing the 3 goal results for a 6 rolled on the red and blue dice to a 2 goal result. To keep some variety in the red die results and keep an advantage for red teams I thought that a 4 on the red die could be 1 goal, plus 1 defence on any other team. That could be a powerful option late in a round as games could be closed off, but then, isn't the ability to see a game home the reason why the best teams are the best teams?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.