J. Alex Kevern
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game store in Decatur IL is going out of business and is liquidating games. You can find more information here: http://lovetakesheart.wordpress.com/tbrgames/

And the list of games here: http://lovetakesheart.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/liquidatio...

Must pay shipping, but tax is only within Illinois.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably went through the same "my online board game store basically has no chance when up against Amazon and FunAgain" disappointments I went through a decade or so ago. Even their "liquidation" prices are still only a couple of dollars less than you can get them for in these other shops.

One interesting note though - if someone wants Mystery of the Abbey, which is apparently out of print (some goober is trying to sell one for $175 on Amazon!) they have a couple of copies of $36 each, possible they have have other hard-to-find items in there... looks like they *way* overstocked their business unfortunately...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For in-store / FLGS / B&M pricing, those are pretty hot deals... but they mostly don't compete well with online pricing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
One interesting note though - if someone wants Mystery of the Abbey, which is apparently out of print (some goober is trying to sell one for $175 on Amazon!) they have a couple of copies of $36 each, possible they have have other hard-to-find items in there...

Queen's Necklace is another HTF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish I was willing to spend any money right now... I just have sooo many unplayed games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple other rarer finds-
Endeavor
Fist of Dragonstones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
website is down for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly its a piss poor liquidation sale..

Agricola $42, from CSI $44, Agric-FoM $27, from CSI $29.
Not a big enough discount to send my business to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the prices are actually decent - especially on harder to find items.

I can understand your sentiment - but this is just a family that tried a business venture and it's failing. I wouldn't expect them to take a bath on this if they can help it - and I assume they will adjust their pricing if the items don't sell.

That's not to say someone should pony-up extra green out of sympathy/support - but maybe it will temper some responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cuthbertson
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
While the store didn't sound like it was doing stellar business, it sounds like the deciding factor in them making the decision to liquidate is to help pay for their adoption efforts. Keep in mind also that this is a small game shop that doesn't have the buying power of Amazon or other online retailers that (I'd imagine) get a larger discount on large purchases of stock, they also are not a dropshipper, these are all products that are physically on a shelf in a brick and mortar shop.
I'm sure the discounts are fairly good compared to what the MSRP is on the products, as well as the cost that they paid to put these on the shelves in the first place. It's kind of discouraging to see some of the replies in this thread given how most folks are disappointed/saddened to see a LGS close its doors; let alone one that is doing it to help better the life of someone less fortunate than they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Some of the prices are indeed decent. I'm not seeing anything on my buy list, but Stone Age, Power Grid, Race for the Galaxy, and all the Carcassonne are right on track with online prices.

T&E ($33), San Juan ($15), and Roborally ($30) are cheaper here than the standard online discounts.

It's definitely worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think anyone was trying to be offensive. You just assume when you hear "Liquidation Sale" that you are going to find a lot of really good bargains. If I went out of business, I'd want to sell my inventory at a discount primarily to move the items so I didn't have to store them. But I wouldn't want to sell them dirt cheap (as in a liquidation sale) when I could sell them gradually and recoup most if not all of my investment over a longer period of time. THere's ebay or the bgg marketplace if they owners are so inclined...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremie geggus
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It should, perhaps, also be noted that the attempted proprietors intentions were to ultimately use their retail store / "after school hang-out space" as an attempt to get children into their religion. This sort of goal is certainly seen as an admirable "mission" by some, and a contemptible "bait-and-switch" by others.

Not offering a personal opinion, either way- but if this sort of thing determines who you spend your money with, it should probably be kept in mind.

I'll also second the notion that the prices do seem a lot more like a brick-and-mortar clearance sale, and less like an online liquidation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wormwoode wrote:
It should, perhaps, also be noted that the attempted proprietors intentions were to ultimately use their retail store / "after school hang-out space" as an attempt to get children into their religion. This sort of goal is certainly seen as an admirable "mission" by some, and a contemptible "bait-and-switch" by others.

Not offering a personal opinion, either way- but if this sort of thing determines who you spend your money with, it should probably be kept in mind.

I'll also second the notion that the prices do seem a lot more like a brick-and-mortar clearance sale, and less like an online liquidation.

Despicable. Definitely won't be sending these charlatans any of my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:

Despicable. Definitely won't be sending these charlatans any of my money.

Haha - this thread is becoming epic!

+1 for using the word 'charlatan'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wormwoode wrote:

from their site:

"......We wanted a “cafe” area for board gamers to have game nights. We dreamed of a place where students could come after school to “hang out” and spend time playing games. We saw our future physical store as a possible “mission field” where God would use us to make connections with local teens who just needed someone to listen to them, accept them, and be positive role-models......."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
wormwoode wrote:

from their site:

"......We wanted a “cafe” area for board gamers to have game nights. We dreamed of a place where students could come after school to “hang out” and spend time playing games. We saw our future physical store as a possible “mission field” where God would use us to make connections with local teens who just needed someone to listen to them, accept them, and be positive role-models......."

Yeah the nerve of some people, wanting to provide hang out place for teens. Hang em! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McLeod
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
abe18 wrote:
wormwoode wrote:

from their site:

Yeah the nerve of some people, wanting to provide hang out place for teens. Hang em! shake

Positive role-models?
HOW DARE THEY!

In other news, really debating about Mystery of the Abbey. It's so hard to find, but then I'd be buying yet another new game...my wife would be so please. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:

That's fine, but it's worth pointing out their missionary goals, as some people find that objectionable. If it's promoted as such, and it's very clear from the outside, then it's no big deal. But opening a game store/cafe geared towards teens and then actively proselytizing to them is underhanded.

Again, if they're up front about it in their signage and advertising, then it's a different story. For example, there's a coffee shop near a church in my town called Disciples' Cafe. You know what you're getting into before you walk through the door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
whattheproblemis wrote:

That's fine, but it's worth pointing out their missionary goals, as some people find that objectionable. If it's promoted as such, and it's very clear from the outside, then it's no big deal. But opening a game store/cafe geared towards teens and then actively proselytizing to them is underhanded.

I realize this is continuing going off topic, but I just wanted to weigh in that it doesn't seem they are trying to be underhanded. It just sounds like they saw their hobby as more than financial but just a way to invest in teens(or adults too I'm sure) lives. I think the use of the phrase "mission field" is less of a holy Crusade or something and just a way of them saying their purpose. Christian or not, it sounds like all they wanted to do is care for people - religion shouldn't even be the issue here.

Anyways, they sound like good people. Too bad they can't make everything work out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
whattheproblemis wrote:
Yeah the nerve of some people, wanting to provide hang out place for teens. Hang em! :shake:

Again, if they're up front about it in their signage and advertising, then it's a different story. For example, there's a coffee shop near a church in my town called Disciples' Cafe. You know what you're getting into before you walk through the door.

And now for something a little lighter... :)

We used to have a shoe and leather repair shop in the historic area I live in, store below, living quarters above second/third floor, had been there since the 30s, changed hands around 80s, then moved up the road about 1/4 mile to a store front.

Some women in her late 50s stopped me on the street asked where the store moved, told her I thought it was up the road on the left in a stand alone building.

About a year later needed new leather lacing for my old first basemen baseball mitt, they had broken, when to this store, it was a leather bondage place. I can only image what the women thought that I sent there. Seems both stores had relocated to their locations at the same time.

Yeah, they fixed by baseball mitt, leather is leather, the older store was located another 300 yards up the road tucked into a small strip mall storefront.

You betcha you never know what you getting yourself into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor The Geek
United States
Harrisburg area
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody in the Central PA / Harrisburg area that wants to split shipping costs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
whattheproblemis wrote:

I'm not particularly 'of faith' but calling any kind of proselytizing of most Christian faiths 'underhanded' is tantamount to rejecting those religion outright. That's all fine and dandy except for Christians that is the entire point. Live a life modeling your faith and actively try to help/save those around you.

Yes I would run screaming from such things - but if you're a life-isnurance salesman you aren't going to open up with 'Hi, I'm here to get you to buy life insurance' or open a store 'Games and Coerced Life Insurance Policies'

That said, could I interest you in flying spaghetti monsters? A whole-life insurance policy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Masterhit wrote:
I'm not particularly 'of faith' but calling any kind of proselytizing of most Christian faiths 'underhanded' is tantamount to rejecting those religion outright.

It's just an accurate description of what they're doing, in this case. Life insurance salesmen often resort to underhanded tactics as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as i can tell, its religion that led them to open a store and the nature of the store (board games) is what helps them be good role models to younger people. I dont see anything inherently underhanded about their goals.

Theyre open about their religion and theyre positive role models, however, suggesting being both those things makes them some sort of zealots is really assuming a lot about these people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.