Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero: The Red Mask (edited for enhanced swashbuckling) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Graham Pike had big plans for Rook city. As the Chairman of Pike Chemicals (and the shadowy Organization), he was determined to develop new techniques for combating aging, increasing strength, and healing... as well as mutagens, genetic engineering, and military-grade bio-enhancements, all to be used to give the Organization the edge it needed to control the crime in Rook City. Chairman Pike would control it all.

But not all the experiments at Pike chemical would be used for evil. One,an early experiment in cloning, would produce one of the Chairman’s greatest failures. Connor Pike.

The Chairman had many ideas on how to extend his own life and make himself into a perfect physical specimen, but he needed some way to test them on his own DNA. Connor was an abandoned project- a 10 year old clone of Chairman Pike created for the purposes of a (failed) memory transfer experiment and kept around just in case. He was defrosted and became a guinea pig for all of the formulas the Chairman was thinking about using on himself.
Connor was subjected to every experiment and treatment the Chairman was thinking of using on himself, and all the while the Chairman told Connor that once the tests were done, he would be the Chairman’s right hand. His son. His Operative, while the Chairman ruled from the shadows.

But despite the Chairman being the only family he had, and despite being treated well between experiments, Connor wanted freedom. He shared some of the Chairman’s memories and knew the scope of his
true plans for domination.

For years, Connor plotted his escape. He played his part, endured the
experiments, and bided his time. He grew stronger, faster, and more daring as the Chairman’s formula’s improved him. When the opportune moment came, he escaped and vanished into the night.

Years later he returned to Rook city, disguising his distinctive face behind a Red Mask, determined to tear down his father’s empire. What one Pike had built to control a city, another would tear down to free it.

The Red Mask
HP 28

Intrinsic power: 1-2 punch. Do 1 Melee dam to 1 target, then do 1 more Melee dam to the same target or a different target.

Defeated Powers:
Allow a player to play a card
Allow a player to use a power
Allow a player to put an ongoing card from trash into their hand

Nemesis: the Chairman and the Operative
20x one shots
3x Dramatic Entrance! (one shot) : do 1 melee and 1 psychic damage to a
target, draw a card

2x Stolen kiss (one shot) : regain 3 HP

3x Rooftop duel (one shot): do 2 melee damage to a target, draw a card

3x Midnight Confession: (one shot) do 3 psychic damage to yourself. Draw 5 cards.

2x Back to Back (one shot): Use a power. Another player may use a power. Do 2 Melee dam to yourself.

3x Acrobatic Assault (one shot): Do 1 melee damage to up to 3 targets.
Discard a card.

2x Gleaming Smile (one shot): All heroes regain 2 HP

2x Zipline Kick (one shot): Do 1 melee and 1 projectile damage to up to 2 targets.

7x Equipment
2x Wire Launcher (equipment, limited)
Power: Play an additional card
You may use an additional power.

2x Collapsible Sword (equipment, limited)
power: deal 3 damage to a target

2x Hidden Supply cache (equipment) Start of turn, you may destroy this card to draw 3 cards and play an additional card this turn.

1x The Red Mask: (equipment , limited, indestructible.)
Gain 2 max HP, +1 damage.
Power: make a card indestructible for 1 round. Cannot be the same card next round.

13x Ongoing

2x Renewed Resolve (ongoing, limited) +1 damage, +1 card drawn, +1 damage taken
If “The Red Mask” is not in play, you may search your deck and put it in play.

2x Last Chance (ongoing, limited) +2 damage to all villain targets from
heroes. Damage to villain targets is irreducible until the start of the
next turn. At the start of the next turn, set The Red Mask’s HP to 1 and destroy this card

2x Lucky Dodge (ongoing): Discard this card to prevent all damage to the Red Mask from a single source.

2x Irresistible Charm (ongoing, limited): target (except the villain
character card) may not deal damage. At the start of your turn, discard 2 cards and take 2 psychic damage or destroy this card.

3x The Opportune Moment: (ongoing, limited): At the start of your turn, you may deal yourself 1 psychic damage to put 1 card from your hand under this card. At the start of your turn, you may take 1 psychic damage and destroy this card to play all cards under this card.

2x swashbuckling. (Ongoing, limited) power: Discard a card to allow a player to play a card.

Flavor text and art descriptions
Comics:
Red Mask: Sins of the Father (limited series)
Rook City Tales: Who is.... The Red Mask?
Red Mask: Life on the Wire

Flavor text/art for the cards:

Card front: Tall man in black, with red mask, bandanna, gloves, and sash. Mask covers upper part of face and cheekbones, leaves jawline clear and hair is covered by bandanna. (think Wesley in Princess Bride). In one hand he is carrying a sword (high-tech katana-style, with segmentation lines and what look like hinges), the other is holding onto a crossbow-like device that is attached to a wire zipline. He is in the midst of zipping from one building to an unknown destination. The moon is in the background.

Card back: The Red Mask is kneeling, battered and bloody. Shirt is mostly gone, and the bandanna portion of the mask has been used as an impromptu arm bandage. The mask itself is on the ground, shattered in two. His head is down, he is supporting himself on the sword, which is driven into the ground. Figures from the Organization (including the Operative) are arrayed behind him in threatening poses.

Dramatic entrance
Art: Breaking through glass on his zipline to the surprise of minions
Text: KSSHH!

Stolen Kiss
Art: Zipping through the air on his wire while carrying the Wraith, stealing a kiss.
Text: Sometimes the little victories are enough.

Rooftop duel:
Art: The Operative and the Mask are fighting on the roof with swords.
Text: So! You’re Pike’s new dog!

Midnight confession:
Art: The FF are on the right of the card, looking at the Red Mask. You see the mask and bandanna in his hand. He looks exactly like Chairman Pike. They have differing looks of shock and are combat ready. The moon is overhead.
Text: There’s something I need to tell you about my father...

Back to back:
Art: The Red mask and the Wraith are back to back, surrounded. Both have weapons out and are ready to strike
Text: (Wraith): I’ll take the six on the left, you take the four on the right!
(Red Mask): Fine, but I pay for dinner afterwards.

Acrobatic Assault:
Art: one minion is tied up in the zip wire. The red mask is vaulting over another to kick a third. The third one is firing a gun, which has gone wild as the kick connects.
Text: Ha Ha ha! Tell the Chairman I’m coming for him!

Gleaming Smile:
Art: Close up on the Red Mask’s cocky smile. His teeth are extremely white
Text: Ting!

Zipline Kick:
Art: The Red Mask is flying along his zipline, legs out in front of him. He has kicked one minion into the Operative, sending her staggering backwards.
Text: I never get tired of doing that!

Wire Launcher:
Art: Close up on the wire launcher. It looks like a modified crossbow with a large roll of wire underneath.
Text: (thug): He pointed at the sky and flew away, boss!

Collapsible Sword:
Art: The red mask in mid-flick, the sword unfolding beside him. It is a katana-like sword that looks like it has hinges and segmentation lines.
Text: The N-dimensional folding blade prototype, along with all the research, was stolen from Pike Laboratories years ago.

Hidden supply cache:
Art: A wounded Red Mask is showing a similarly wounded Mr. Fixer and Wraith into an underground room of weapons, food, and medical gear. The Pike logo is on a lot of the equipment
Text: (RM) We can lay low here for a while.
(Wraith) So you’re the one who’s been raiding the Organization's supplies.

The Red Mask:
Art: A close up of the mask. It has a pointed nose, covers most of the forehead and cheekbones and is bright red.
Text: Some secrets need to be kept...until the right moment.

Renewed resolve:
Art: a bloody Red Mask (shirt ripped, bandanna on arm as bandage- similar to defeated pose) rising from a kneeling position to strike at the Chairman. They are fighting over the Vats in Pike Chemical
Text: (Chairman) Give up, boy. There’s a place for you here!
(RM)- NEVER!

Last Chance:
Art: Wraith, RM, and Mr Fixer against the entire organization.
Text: (Mr. Fixer) Do you think your team will make it here in time?
(Wraith) They’ve never let me down.
(RM) So make sure to leave them a few?

Lucky Dodge:
Art: the RM vaulting a wall, away from a hail of gunfire by the Contract and his gunmen as they pass by in a van. Bullets are passing through the tail of his sash.
Text: (Gunman) I think we got him!
(Contract) And you just volunteered to go out and check.

Irresistible Charm:
Art: The RM is chatting with the several of the female members of the Organization (including the Operative) while the Wraith and Mr Fixer sneak past.
Text: Well, of COURSE you have to kill me eventually, but there’s no reason we can’t get to know each other first, is there?

The Opportune Moment:
Art: the operative is occupied fighting Wraith and Mr Fixer. The Chairman is alone over a vat of glowing chemicals. RM Has just completed a Zip kick on him, and the Chairman is staggering.
Text: Now!

Swashbuckling:
Art: The RM in mid jump from a rooftop to catch a helicopter landing skid. You can see the Operative in the helicopter.
Text: If you improvise with enough flair, it almost looks like you had a plan all along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Custom Hero: The Red Mask
wow wow wow

This guy sounds so awesome!! Great Job!! His story fits in so well in the Sentinels' Multiverse too!

I wish I was an artist so that I could do all the art for your hero. Who knows, maybe >Games will see this and put you under contract for the Red Mask. I'd at least like to see an Artscow deck for him in the future.

So who wants to do the art for this amazing hero??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I like him, he looks like he'd be really tough to play as (which isn't a bad thing). I actually was designing my own character who was kind of similar to your own. A vampire who could damage himself to gain more powerful effects. I like seeing what you have thought up for your own guy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
He either ended up being "wing it and do steady damage", or "plot and plan and pull off some awesome combos...as you die".

A couple of the things I really didn't expect is how fun the Mask card would be- making something indestructible has some really, really neat gameplay properties. Like keeping "Forced deployment" in play one more round, or saving one of Legacy's cards from a Devastating Aurora.

He can get in trouble against people who strip away cards from your hand. And "Back to Back" ended up being really interesting, as you have to have more than just your intrinsic (since you can't use the same power twice in a turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Midnight Confession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this character. Seems well-balanced (I'd have to test it to know for sure, of course) and definitely seems fun. Good theme, too. Helps build on the SotM mythology.

Looking forward to any updates (places to get some usable card files, potential art, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
talusproteus wrote:
I really like this character. Seems well-balanced (I'd have to test it to know for sure, of course) and definitely seems fun. Good theme, too. Helps build on the SotM mythology.

Looking forward to any updates (places to get some usable card files, potential art, etc.).

Agreed. I think he'd be fun to play, but with cards that are this far off the norm, it can be tough to judge balance without extensive play-testing. He looks pretty balanced, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
weirdboy_1 wrote:
...with cards that are this far off the norm, it can be tough to judge balance without extensive play-testing. He looks pretty balanced, though.

Agreed. It's one of the reasons I like this build so much. It's a very unique character type and it feels very different from how other characters would play. It definitely needs some play-testing, though.

...can we get a kindly artist/designer to doctor up some of these cards for us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
After more weekend playtesting:

The Red Mask (equipment) power to make cards indestructible was pretty neat against Citizen Dawn and her hateful, hateful citizens.

RM does have the same problem that Fanatic has with damage reduction- because a lot of his damage is 1 and 1 (like Fanatic's Exorcism), there are times when a citizen, debuff, environment, etc can leave you with no offensive punch unless you have legacy (or some other buff) to counteract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I'm just blind and totally missing it in the above post. But what is his innate power...and do you have three incapacitated options for him?

I can't seem to see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
huh! I mut have removed that bit during editing, since I don't see his backstory either. I've fixed that in the main post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On The Red Mask, I assume the +1 damage means increase all damage dealt by The Red Mask by 1. Is that accurate?

And on Renewed Resolve does +1 damage, +1 card drawn, +1 damage taken mean...increase all damage dealt BY Red Mask by 1, Draw an additional card during your draw phase, increase all damage dealt TO Red Mask by 1?

And on Irresistable Charm is target (except the villain character card) may not deal damage taken to mean...Only Heroes and the Villain Charcter may deal damage this round?

I'm trying to make these using Koga's templates and want to be sure i'm understanding the intent of the cards right as I try to phrase them as best I can according to the SofM wording schemes.

Once again...your work is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
"renewed resolve" is +1 damage dealt by RM, +1 damage to RM, and draw an additional card. Exactly right.

Irresistable charm: whoops! left off a key bit there.
Should be: Play on a non-hero target (except the villain
character card). That target may not deal damage. At the start of your turn, discard 2 cards and take 2 psychic damage or destroy this card.

and thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl White
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Character card art posted for the Red Mask.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1355772/sentinels-of-the-mult...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
He looks marvelous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've already worked on Militia's deck I'll work on making a PDF for The Red Mask's deck next, already figured a way to shorten the base power.

1-2 Punch
Power: Red Mask deals 1 target 1 Melee damage, then deals 1 target 1 Melee damage.

This way it can deal damage to the same target or a different one without too much wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the folder I put Red Mask's pdf in. I didn't include the quotes yet, the same as Militia's deck, those are better used for when you have art for them or when I get some extra time to do the quotes.
http://www.mediafire.com/?txxmdd3myz7ml

I had to re-word a lot of things to make them feel like official cards but still kept the same meaning behind them, since you only listed a basic explanation of the cards. I looked over a lot of cards, even some of the ones in Infernal Relics, to get the wording right. I also removed the limited keyword from "The Red Mask" equipment card, no need for it as there's only 1 in the deck and it helped to fit the other keywords into the box better.

There are a few cards that I'm not sure if you mean them to only affect heroes or if you want them to affect other hero targets as well. Such as Last Chance and Gleaming Smile. Since no hero before IR has had other targets, besides Visionary's Decoy and that one hardly counts.

I'm also guessing you meant to have Irresistable Charm be able to affect The Operative. It's similar to Fanatic's Chastise, cept Chastise also prevents the target from taking damage and will not be able to target The Operative. But you also pay a higher price for Irresistable Charm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The cards look really good, as does the wording.
I never thought about how pets would be affected by buffs before. My inclination is that just the heroes get the buffs, for simplicities sake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noticed something on the card Last Chance in the templates. Since it's an ongoing that's destroyed at the start of your turn, it doesn't need the "until the start of your turn" part on it and fixed it to say "At the start of your turn" instead of "At the start of your next turn" as the next turn will be when it gets destroyed anyway.

I've updated the PDF with these changes and included an updates file as well with that card's changes. I've also included a Character file for those that want to print Red Mask in color, along with the picture Carl White made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Small update:

I'm slightly decreasing the power of the wire launcher.

1st edition- Power: Play a card, you may use and additional power

Because of how well the RM responds to buffs, this can lead to some massive damage output without any real tradeoff/problems.

I'm changing the card to:

Equipment, limited
You may play an additional card OR use and additional power

as always, I've changed the main post to reflect this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that just made it even more powerful, before you were using a power to play a card and got your power use back. Now you can play a card without the power use or can use a 2nd power. The only thing it decreased is the ability for Heroes like Argent Adept to be able to let you use it on his turn. Also now when things prevent you from using powers you can still play 2 cards. Before it was more limited as something that blocked powers stopped it and something that blocked plays stopped the main use for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hmm.

good point.

might change it to:

Power: Play an additional card, and immediately end your turn.

OR

Use an additional power

so you can either use two powers or play two cards (and no powers).
Unless you have something that gives you an extra power, then you can use this one as your second to end your turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Per a recent discussion on the >G forums
immediately end your turn
would mean no card drawing and no triggering of end of turn abilities, is that what you intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
no, dangit. didn't know that.

Hmmph. alright.

So, the wire launcher is intended to be powerful, and to facilitate the use of playing his one shot cards.

Its got one built in limitation, in that there are only two of them in the deck, so you won't get it often. this is slightly mitigated by the extra draws the RM gets due to one shots and other equipments.

the main problem that I intended to address was one of damage output without cost. Most high damage characters have a cost of some sort to deal out a lot of damage- AZ hurts himself, Ra has to play a bunch of cards to ramp up, Fanatic has to be hurt/hurt herself, Tach's burst count has to be high, and Haka has to sacrifice piles of cards from his hand to his haka of battle.

The problem I'm seeing and trying to address has to do with buffs (both self, environmental, and outside) causing a drastic increase in damage output with compartively no cost. Most of this is due to his cards being "Do 1 type of damage, then 1 type of damage"- which can ramp up swiftly, as we've seen in Fanatic.

So, what we could see (in a hypothetical game), is:
Legacy galvanizes (raising the RM's base power to 2,2)
RM plays a buff card (he has a few) (raising base power to 3,3)
Environment buffs (raising base power to 4,4)

this is high damage, but still compartive with other characters in a high buff situation. No problems yet.

So!
round 2
RM plays Wire launcher
RM uses the power to play a high damage one shot (4,4)
RM uses base power (4,4)

round 3
THEN, RM uses another buff (because he has several...) (5,5)
Uses launcher to use another one shot... (5 or 5,5)
and base power to deal 5,5

This continues- once all the buffs are out, he can use 2 damage one shots.
The RM is consistantly dealing massive damage, with no real penalty, aside from the need to have all these buffs, the cards to play, and the launcher. And some of his cards do require him to damage himself.

I don't expect this to always happen, and I don't expect this to be a common thing. the RM is still vulnerable to damage reduction, and if he isn't buffed can end up doing very little or nothing.

I think that I'm going to revert the changes to the Wire launcher for now. I tend to play in a group that favors synergistic buffs (theres almost always Legacy and Ra in the mix), so this could just be an example of overreacting to a very specific circumstance.

So, for the record, the launcher is reverted to:

Power: Play an additional card.
You may use an additional power

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.