Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: The little symbols at the bottom corners of the locations... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You're the bomb and you got a dope soul and hella ethics.
badge
One time, at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Jacksonville, but the nice one, not the one above the gas station, I ate 50 jalapeño poppers in two minutes. Everyone at the hospital was so impressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read through the manual a couple of times and am preparing for my first solo game before i attempt to teach my wife/game group.

I notice on the board there are various symbols on the locations (money, common items, sanity, etc). What's the deal with these? I can't seem to figure out why they are there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's what you're /likely/ to get from an encounter in that location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
It's what you're /likely/ to get from an encounter in that location.

If you get a beneficial encounter. Oftentimes you'll draw something bad instead, especially from the unstable locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super genius
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You're the bomb and you got a dope soul and hella ethics.
badge
One time, at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Jacksonville, but the nice one, not the one above the gas station, I ate 50 jalapeño poppers in two minutes. Everyone at the hospital was so impressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
So is it worth it to take these into account when playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:
I have read through the manual a couple of times and am preparing for my first solo game before i attempt to teach my wife/game group.

I notice on the board there are various symbols on the locations (money, common items, sanity, etc). What's the deal with these? I can't seem to figure out why they are there...

As stated, it is your likely encounter. The ones that are the reverse color are guaranteed means of getting something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
badge
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:

Let's say you're in short supply of something (money, clue tokens, items, etc.) and you have no other obvious way to get said resource. In that case you could try to pull location encounters to gain what you need and then it would make sense to go for the locations that are likely to reward you with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:

Sort of. Some of them are so slightly in the plurality; one of them is flat out wrong (black cave I think, though it was corrected through the expansions). And since you shuffle after each encounter, you could pull that ONE card that isn't mentioned on the location over and over again.

It is more there for a general guideline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
It is more there for a general guideline.
I'm with ColtsFan on this one, we generally use the black background icons as the draw to the location. We only really use the white background icons when we're desperate - one of the reasons that so few people bother with Encounters in Locations that have Special Abilities. Come back Kingsport, all is forgiven!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I'm with ColtsFan on this one, we generally use the black background icons as the draw to the location. We only really use the white background icons when we're desperate - one of the reasons that so few people bother with Encounters in Locations that have Special Abilities.
This is also why I always play the variant that before using the special ability at a location, you have to have an encounter at that location. Otherwise, encounters for places like South Church, St Marys, the shops etc never come out.
Also, it’s amusing when an investigator on their last shred of sanity is continually kicked to the street by unsympathetic asylum staff and can’t get healed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenberg wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHA... No.

J/k. Really, you're going to run around the board so much, that these location characteristics are unlikely to be worth the time spent trying to get what you're looking for. (The base game is on the easy side, so you might find time to explore the locations.) However, you'll find out that *money* is important, and you'll want to go to the

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Newspaper to get that Retainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.