I started a thread in the Red Box forums for playing WoA with Red Box
Here is a summary of what I have done..
Then I setup the WoA tile deck for the first scenario in the box.. one where you fell into the dungeon and need to find your way out.
Here is what we roughly did:
1. Use the Mythic GM Emulator
- See if there is any creatures in a new tile. Using the chaos factor and fate table in the Mythic GM emulator
(we use the WoA rules, to determine if a encounter (i.e. trap, curse) happens and use the WoA encounter cards.
- If so I use the following online tool to get a random monster(s):
* use the D&D Monster Manual 4th ed to look up the stats (or use my DDI account; the tool provides a DDI link).
2. Use the D&D rules for combat.
3. Combat done we divide up the XP.
4. Then use the Mythic GM Emulator to see if there was any treasure.
If yes.. we pull a treasure token (WoA item).. flip over and its either coin or a treasure card.
- The coin it gives is a lot for level 1 (like 500gp!) so we we div /100 for gold. (I may use a random 1 to 20 in my random # generator).
- If its a treasure card then we draw one of the treasure cards (WoA deck). These seem comparable for our low level characters. I may also use the:
Treasure Trove .. http://www.asmor.com/scripts/4eMagicItems/index.php
We used my DDI account to generate characters. And I need a monster manual (or minimal the DDI login) and a smartphone.
It does not take place of a GM.. however for a quick dungeon craw with no DM it looks like this may work.
Will do a full play through and see where we need to make adjustments.