Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I was wondering if a tool exists that will let me do the following:

1) Mock up two decks of cards, one numbers based, one text based.
2) Provide a simple play space where I can interact with the cards -- shuffle, draw and deal, and just keep track of hands, played cards, discard pile.

I don't need the tool to handle any game rule and mechanics. Ideally the cards are just objects to the tool. Basically I am just looking for a better way to fiddle with my ideas and push cards around than a million pieces of scratch paper.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal.

Though I don't have any personal experience programming the modules myself, one of my playtesters did a basic mockup for TactDecks that was pretty nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
Vassal.

I'll second that with one caveat: coding Vassal modules is not easy to learn nor intuitive.

If you've got a background in XML you'll know the basics but there are several issues that are completely bewildering, such as which things you can change on the fly and which need a restart of the Vassal engine to take effect. Also, the manual isn't very easy to understand.

Even so I'm recommending Vassal, which should tell you what a powerful tool it is. Just expect to spend a week or two learning the basics.

Or you could use the card game tutorial and do small modifications without having to learn the background, which will last you quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you both for the Vassel recommendation. I should have thought of that myself! To be honest, I was hoping to find a solution that was a bit more of an object-based sandbox, but perhaps that was just wishful thinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tc237 wrote:

Use ZunTzu to get the first prototype up and running for quick testing and to easily make changes.

Nice -- ZunTzu is new to me, but it sounds like it may be easier to build prototypes there. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.