Subject: Looking for a longer/ more complicated game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after swimming in the shallow end of the pool for a few years, i decided that i will now try out the deep end.

all of my games are under 75 min with a weight less then 3.0 (with 1-2 exceptions) which is the range my wife and i enjoy. i am now looking for thoughts on a longer/more complicated game that wont be too similar to anything we already have (i.e. Le Havre), excellent as 2P, and not too confrontational (i.e. War of the Ring, Twilight Struggle).

here are my top 4 ideas (in no order), but i am open to other suggestions.

Mage Knight Board Game
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Arkham Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend looking away from the thematic more American style game and looking into the more mechanic driven European style games. Perhaps something like Vinhos or Shipyard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I take back I said after glancing your collection. You seem to strongly dislike the deeper euros and gravitate more towards the American style games. Sorry for the bad advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:
I would recommend looking away from the thematic more American style game and looking into the more mechanic driven European style games. Perhaps something like Vinhos or Shipyard?

i should have mentioned this in the OP, but i prefer more thematic style games. that's not to say i dont have & enjoy euro style games as you can see from my collection, but its not my 1st choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark is an absolute blast. My 3-person gaming group really, really enjoys it. BUT, the drawback is we don't get to play as often as we'd like because it's a minimum of 3 hours (and we've played up to 5 and 6 hour sessions). I highly recommend it---you just gotta have a couple games that take all day to play and are enjoyable and epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put in a plug here for Arkham Horror.

It can be a bit daunting at first. But it is a cooperative game that is dripping with theme and story.

I most often play this as two player game when a friend of mine comes in from out of town. We usually throw on a scary movie and set this up and play through with the movie in the background.

Fun times.

Through the ages doesn't have as much theme but is still fun. Descent is fun as well but can be a big setup let alone if you get your hands on the campaign expansion. I have road to legend and I hardly ever manage to get that going. I would need a dedicated group to play that one through. Maybe some day when my son is older...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alxamp21 wrote:

It can be a bit daunting at first. But it is a cooperative game that is dripping with theme and story.

I most often play this as two player game when a friend of mine comes in from out of town. We usually throw on a scary movie and set this up and play through with the movie in the background.

Fun times.

Through the ages doesn't have as much theme but is still fun. Descent is fun as well but can be a big setup let alone if you get your hands on the campaign expansion. I have road to legend and I hardly ever manage to get that going. I would need a dedicated group to play that one through. Maybe some day when my son is older...

is AH really shorter then Descent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alxamp21 wrote:

Fun times.

This. AH is a great game, and you can play a run-through solo to get the hang of it, because you WILL have some questions (and most are already answered in the AH forum). Both my kids and I love it...great use of theme. We normally play with three players, and once we got down the mechanics and rules, we normally encounter a game length of around 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game tends to polarize people into the "I love it" or the "I hate it" groups, but I love it, so I'll suggest you take a look at Android.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
abe18 wrote:
after swimming in the shallow end of the pool for a few years, i decided that i will now try out the deep end.

all of my games are under 75 min with a weight less then 3.0 (with 1-2 exceptions) which is the range my wife and i enjoy. i am now looking for thoughts on a longer/more complicated game that wont be too similar to anything we already have (i.e. Le Havre), excellent as 2P, and not too confrontational (i.e. War of the Ring, Twilight Struggle).

here are my top 4 ideas (in no order), but i am open to other suggestions.

Mage Knight Board Game
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Arkham Horror

Out of those picks, I'd go with Through the Ages... excellent game. Descent (2nd ed) isn't out yet so that's out of the picture for now. Mage Knight is also great as is Arkham Horror but TtA is epic in its scope and is the best Civ game in existence (imho).

Through the Ages ticks all the boxes in terms of length, epicness, complicatedness and has a good amount of fiddlyness as a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through the Ages. It's the king of longer/more complicated Euros, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.