Popular Tags: [View All]
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once a mission group is approved what is best way to keep players and/or leader from following the cards handed in. It seems to me that it would be simple to follow the order of three cards being handed in to just one person. This is my suggestion. Are there any others?

1. Have a player whom is not the leader collect and organize them to be vertically aligned and then shuffle them. Then give them to the leader to further shuffle before revealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have two non-leader players across the table from each other each shuffle under the table, then give to the leader to reveal.

Edit:

Online we use a moderator!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
We have two non-leader players across the table from each other each shuffle under the table, then give to the leader to reveal.

Edit:

Online we use a moderator!

Curse you Perry the Platypus! On an unrelated note, I love how your avatars both happen to be different types of spies and you're commenting on this game. Methinks there's a link there somewhere, I just can't find it.

Edit: and to the OP, that's pretty much what we do. Someone collects them and gives them a quick mix-up before handing them to the leader. We never decided that's the way it would be, it just sort of happened that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agents are way cooler than spies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to shuffle the non-used vote cards too. Since everyone gets one blue and one red, if you notice who returned the blue as non-used card, you know he voted red.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quit and nuts wrote:
Don't forget to shuffle the non-used vote cards too. Since everyone gets one blue and one red, if you notice who returned the blue as non-used card, you know he voted red.

As an aside... If you don't tell people to mix up the unused mission cards... You may be able to observe the player that seems most anxious to mix them up. They're probably a spy. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
As everyone has suggested, double-blind is the only real way to keep it secret. Especially that first 2-person mission, it's a bit horrible if you were only have one person shuffle.

And of course, who would want to sit out of the game and run it? Sucks.

I use the two pieces of the Resistance box, one designated as trash, one designated as "GO TIME" for people to drop their cards into as well. Prevents procedural accidents from ruining a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had the box, the rule was to put the mission card on the table, the other into the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we played it like this.
2 players would have the opportunity to shuffle the submitted cards under the table and also 2 players would have the same opportunity to shuffle the unused cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The unused cards are best actually shuffled back into the other ones, so that they get totally lost, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
The unused cards are best actually shuffled back into the other ones, so that they get totally lost, I think.

That's another way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

That's what we do, too.

Usually, we have a off-team player take the mission cards, and shuffle them. The leader would instruct others to put their discard mission cards onto the un-used mission deck, them shuffle them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Jythier wrote:

That's another way...

That way one person can handle it because it's 5-8 cards being shuffled, unless you have a magician in your group. I know a guy who can riffle shuffle a deck but still know exactly where your card is... amongst 52 cards... never mind 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
vardamir wrote:
Jythier wrote:

That's another way...

That way one person can handle it because it's 5-8 cards being shuffled, unless you have a magician in your group. I know a guy who can riffle shuffle a deck but still know exactly where your card is... amongst 52 cards... never mind 8.

Ha, my gaming group are mostly old pal from my Magician Club. We all knows each others' tricks, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only reason you would have two people shuffle the cards is if you are playing with people who would cheat. I play with people who don't cheat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group *usually* does it like this:

Discarded cards go into the box. Chosen cards go into a stack, and are handed to the person to the left of the leader who does a quick under the table shuffle. Hands them to the leader, who does another quick shuffle and reveals. Then the cards are put in the box, and are shuffled before being handed out the next mission.

It's not that we even fear a little bit of someone from our group cheating, its more that subconsciously some people (myself included) tend to track cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmigas wrote:
The only reason you would have two people shuffle the cards is if you are playing with people who would cheat. I play with people who don't cheat.

I don't think its about cheating.

If I were to collect three cards, one being my own, I'd have to consciously try to not to keep track of what cards were handed to me and where they were going in the shuffle. The problem is the mind constantly wants to order and track them, it has nothing to do with cheating.

Its like being told not to think about monkeys swinging on vines. Once told not to think about something its hard not to think about it. Especially when you have to remind yourself what you're not suppose to be thinking about.

Personally, I'd not consider that cheating in a game like this ... one should remain perceptive with all senses when sifting for spies.

However, since some people may consider it cheating ... it is best to use a method that makes tracking rather difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always had two people shuffle, under the table just to avoid temptation to track. Also shuffle the disvards into the remaining cards.

We haven't aligned the cards before shuffling, but I can see need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the title means 'Mission Actions' and not VOTES.

That said, the rules say:

Current Leader gathers the cards and shuffles.
NEXT Leader takes the cards, shuffles and then reveals.

Double-blind shuffle keeps everything secret.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I hope the title means 'Mission Actions' and not VOTES.

That said, the rules say:

Current Leader gathers the cards and shuffles.
NEXT Leader takes the cards, shuffles and then reveals.

Double-blind shuffle keeps everything secret.

Those rules are silly. Better to make our own rules that make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't use cards. Drop colored marbled into a container.

Black = fail (blackballed).

Give everyone a big supply so they just keep dropping.

No shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh...so many ways to obfuscate deceit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heckle Jekyll
United States
Knox
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Don't use cards. Drop colored marbled into a container.

Black = fail (blackballed).

Give everyone a big supply so they just keep dropping.

No shuffling.

Very clever. Good idea. Have you played this way, or is this just a suggestion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First... the leader tells each of the mission goers SECRETLY a room to go to and lay down their cards. They do so, and return.

Second! the leader picks a person not on the mission, and he goes to each room and gets the cards. He does not look at the cards, but only shuffles them into a pile in one of the rooms.

Third! the leader goes and gets the cards, brings them back and reveals the mission cards to all the group.

We also vote by writing down our names and then yes or no next to it and throwing it into a clay pot with a small slit in it. Then, we break the pot and read the votes one by one.

This game is very expensive in pots. Also, you need at least 6 rooms in the house besides the bathroom to play properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
First... the leader tells each of the mission goers SECRETLY a room to go to and lay down their cards. They do so, and return.

Second! the leader picks a person not on the mission, and he goes to each room and gets the cards. He does not look at the cards, but only shuffles them into a pile in one of the rooms.

Third! the leader goes and gets the cards, brings them back and reveals the mission cards to all the group.

We also vote by writing down our names and then yes or no next to it and throwing it into a clay pot with a small slit in it. Then, we break the pot and read the votes one by one.

This game is very expensive in pots. Also, you need at least 6 rooms in the house besides the bathroom to play properly.

There is how to turn one game into an hour long show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.