Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it 2 or 3 times. So far, it seems to me that the strongest cards are

a) anything that lets you preview/alter the top of the mission deck

and

b) the one that lets you trash a card each turn. (it's "permanent duration" card or effectively a card you play out in front of you and it doesn't discard itself)

I even found myself trashing the rest of the starting deck and even a commander at one point. Why? Because I had enough experience to get really useful guys from the center and eventually that meant that even my commanders were weak compared to the center stuff.

Also, in this game all your points sit outside your deck, unlike Dominion or Ascension. So, that means you can trim down your deck until you have just a core set of 5 to 10 cards that are good for just about any situation, at least in combination.

It almost makes me want to try a variant.

Regarding previewing/altering the mission deck, this should be clear to most people. There's a lot of tension/fear of the unknown when considering the missions. You could get jumped by a ship or trigger something else you're not ready for. Again, this is so strong it almost seems like something you'd want built in, but I'm not sure how you'd change it.

The game is fun though and I'm sure the license/theme has a lot to do with it. And it reminds me a lot of the old star trek ccg by decipher, but optimized and updated to more recent game design ideas. My only fear is that the cards I mentioned in this post are the best/only way to win. It would be interesting to remove any cards of type A or B and see what the "best" cards are then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, honestly, trashing cards to make your deck more efficient is a central mechanic of the deck building genre of card games. Without it, your games could end up lasting 5 hours and your deck could be 40 cards thick! So, if you got rid of the "trash" cards from the deck, your game wouldn't be much fun, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
Well, honestly, trashing cards to make your deck more efficient is a central mechanic of the deck building genre of card games. Without it, your games could end up lasting 5 hours and your deck could be 40 cards thick! So, if you got rid of the "trash" cards from the deck, your game wouldn't be much fun, in my opinion.

True. I think a better approach is Core World's method. (in that game you get to tuck cards under planets you conquer and those cards stay there the rest of the game. And they still count towards your points.)

So perhaps everyone could start with that trasher in star trek dbg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joret Dal

His effect of reducing the cost of Cardassian or Federation personal you gain from Starbase by two "Cardassian and non-basic Federation characters cost you 2 less." made that one one of the most powerful and sought after cards in the game.

Usually the player who gains Joret early in a game soon builds up a lead, as the lowered cost allow for higher profile characters being purchased and enabling said player to Diplomacy a new Starship way sooner than the other players.

Usually we now try to do away with the card using one's Search if the Card comes up during one's own turn, if the cost (of 7 I believe) can't be paid by the turn player.

Have you not have similar exeriences with the card? We were wondering why the cost is relatively low. We would have thought Dal to be at least worth 8 better a cost of 9.

Anyway: Could the Dal's effect be combined with Starfleet Academy? Not even the confession that there was a typo on the Card didn't clear that up as much.

One more follow up: Characters upgraded using Starfleet Academy go to the Discard pile, right, not directly to the hand of the turn player?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.