Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this yesterday and a rules question came up. When playing with mirrors on all four boards mirrors, there is a yellow mirror that slants into a wall. Would a non-yellow robot hitting that mirror just hit the wall (and stop in that space, so that next turn it could move perpendicular to the wall)?

I'm not sure how else to play it (other than making that move illegal) but I didn't see anything about that in the rule page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we've played it. It's the only thing that makes sense to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Please, what is "playing with mirrors"???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Binder
Brazil
Curitiba
PR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PauloSantoro wrote:
Please, what is "playing with mirrors"???

It´s the second version of the game, I think. It has "mirrors" that permit or not the passage of some robots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, second edition had a new twist. I think they were called reflectors in the rules, but that might just be a translation.

The back side of each board had two diagonal colored walls. Robots could pass through their own color, but bounced 90 degrees off of other colors, but didn't count the "bounce" as a move because they didn't stop.

In the photo, yellow could head straight to the red saturn target in one move. Green would also do it in one move by reflecting off of the yellow wall.

The "mirror into the wall" the OP asked about is 4th row up from the bottom in the middle.

Sorry... I can't remember how to make the photo larger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification (and answer) Norman.

Yes, I meant the reflectors. I was asking the question from memory (didn't have the rulebook on hand), based on an issue that came up last weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that, coming in from the left and travelling to the right, you would hit the deflector and bounce directly down, stopping you in your tracks. You could then move onwards in another direction; Left, Up, or Right as another move.

Hitting the deflector from above or from the right would have you bounce off at a right-angle, as per the normal method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Romano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher,

The same question was discussed in this thread back in 2010: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/489039/reflector-into-a-wall

I gave a reply there, which I'll repost here:

REPOSTING...

If you think about it, this situation can occur with all the diagonal walls -- not just the yellow one. If enough robots bounce off a diagonal wall and stop at an orthogonal wall (or another robot), they can get close enough to the diagonal wall to act like an orthogonal wall for the next robot. (I hope that's clear enough to understand.)

At any rate, I think I remember this question being cleared up by Jay of Rio Grande Games. If I remember correctly, he said that the robot should stop on that space, and then on a subsequent move be free to go any direction from there (provided, of course, that the route is not blocked by a wall or robot).

This explanation makes sense to me, especially if I view it this way:

The diagonal walls kind of act like gates that deny entry to some robots but allows others to pass through (perhaps through some sort of futuristic "phase shift" technology). While it normally denies entry to the robots of different colors, it has to allow the special exception of a robot stopping on the same space as the diagonal gate itself.

When that special case occurs, the diagonal gate is already "phase-shifted" to that robot and must allow it to pass through, no matter the color of the robot nor which direction the robot decides to take to leave that spot.

I hope this helps.

(Have fun with the game! It's one of my favorites!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the trick here is to not see the mirror/deflectors/bars on the board as that. The trick is to see them as some kind of mechanical grapple-device with photo-sensors at the tip of their arms.

When a robot enters the square and goes over the sensor, the deflector reads its color. If it is the right color it won't grapple and the robot just goes through. So far, so good.

If it is the wrong color though, the deflector will grab the robot and fling it in the direction it is programmed to. In the yellow example we are talking about, it will fling a robot coming from the left downwards. What usually happens then is that the robot leaves the sensors and the deflector resets in waiting for a new robot to pass over one of its sensors.

BUT! In our special case, the robot is just flung straight into a wall and stops. IT STILL HASN'T LEFT THE SQUARE, IE SENSORS and thus, the deflector is not reset yet!
Hence, the robot is standing still on the (unreset) deflector square, ungrappled and is free to do its next move anywhere it is programmed to.
More importantly! This also means that if another robot slams into the deflector square while the robot is standing there, it will ricochet(ie stop) as it usually does when hitting a robot. The robot standing still is filling up the whole square and the deflector is, currently, unreset.

(Yes, we ran into a discussion about this the last time I played the game. We didn't come up with this exact conclusion though, but I think this is a logical one that is somewhat connected to how it could work in real life)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.