Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: WIP for my game Medic! For the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Medic! Is a solo game, set in WW2. It will be a solo game, one of a series of medics set in different wars. It is about saving as many men as possible during a scenario.

This game, the first in the series, concerns a medic with the 101 Paratroopers/and or US Rangers/Army on day 1 of the D-Day landings. The others in the series will be set in the Pacific, Korea, Vietnam & France during the WW1 conflict.

Any graphics posted here will be 'working' graphics only & may possibly, at this early stage of the development, change dramatically as development evolves. I will post my thoughts on look & feel in this area.

More to come!

Thanks to: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/798184/2012-solitaire-pr...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP for my game Medic!
101 Paratroopers all the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Mascarenhas
Brazil
Teixeira de Freitas
Bahia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP for my game Medic!
I really liked the idea of your game. I have already subscribed and waiting for progress to give it a try and playtest's feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rajatz wrote:
I really liked the idea of your game. I have already subscribed and waiting for progress to give it a try and playtest's feedback

Welcome aboard! Rajatz! Thanks! Yep most, maybe all, wargames are based on destroying the enemy, in this one u get to save as many of your men & maybe the odd enemy as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK here's something a rough visual as to how at present I see some of the components & how they represent the medics situations. This is early stages of course, as I have a few ideas about the board/playing area & mechanics.

I've been churning in my mind so mant options...as I read about medics in WW2 & other wars past & present. These guys are amazing. Medics step out in the open, the risks they took to save a man, they didn't fire back, they relied on the enemy not to...just crawling towards a wounded man could cost them their lives, they crawled, walked, ran towards enemy fire without a weapon in their hands & put their body in the way enemy fire...their back facing the enemy...a perfect target with a red cross on a white background on their helmet...they used their body as a shield to protect the wounded. Sometimes they died doing this. Other times they didn't.

The enemy. What did they think? SS for example, over say a regular Wermarch soldier behind a MG34. This guy is saving enemy soldiers to come back & fight another day...

I'm thinking a different scenarios like an open field, a village somewhere in Normandy, a beach,an assault on a bunker...etc etc. The object in all these scenarios is simple. Go to the wounded soldier & save him. Bring him back. Get him to a field hospital. Save his life.

The player will know this but to prompt him along, there will be icons on cards indicating that the WIA (wounded In Action) soldier is now bleeding to death & will soon die unless a Medic gets to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK ...the posted rough of the playing area at present, subject to changes...

Left side & right side show WIA soldiers status, & medic's on the right. This will show wounds, scratches, amputations etc. Below the medic will be his bag with bandages etc which will of course run out as u work on the injured. Along the baseline are the other soldiers in the squad. This shows their health. WIA, KIA, scratches, walking wounded etc. Their counters will be flipped if they are WIA or worse. Counters will be added to their character card or counter to indicate their health.

The scenario cards will change depending on which one u are playing. Open field, Just landed, ambush, etc. Try & get thru them & save as many men as possible.

How it will play...hmmn roughly, & very conceptual...at the moment...it all starts with someone yelling MEDIC!

Off you go! TIME is something the wounded don't have. Get to them as soon as u can.

The medics movement cards are also his health. Run outta cards & u die. Get wounded you'll need too play a card to get by, but you need to use the cards to GET TO the wounded man.

This is how you will get to the wounded. Draw 5 or 6, dunno really how many as yet...around this figure, they will indicate terrain u have to move thru to get to this man & or others as well. Play a card & move. Choose where u will go. Head for cover, head for that wall...stand up & run! It will get u there quicker but u could also die quicker.
u choose, but be mindful that also on these cards are possible enemy actions.

There's no **hexes in the game. The visual showing the area of battle, a village, a bridge a field full of just landed paras etc will all have different levels of danger built into them. Built into the terrain the medic - you -will have to negotiate. Place you anywhere on the playing area and play your cards. Each card gets u that much closer to your wounded man, wounds (you) will stop u, but i'm thinking of playing a card from your hand to get to the next card in your hand....too many wounds, serious wounds etc & u will bleed to death.

Some cards will have enemy fire built into them murderous SS snipers, hopefully u don't run into one.

The medics cards remember are his health. Burn all your cards & u die. U will get a draw at some point but it depends on the situation/s that arise during the scenario.

**I'm still trying to work a movement track, or something...maybe just dots on the Scenario card, follow the dots, use your cards in your hand to help get past enemy, but maybe these cards aren't used all for movement maybe that will be too restrictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Mascarenhas
Brazil
Teixeira de Freitas
Bahia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so excited about this game and i'm liking the ideias here. I'd to ask about our partners. I mean when a medic run into a wounded solider he usually has a cover by the partners, right ? Maybe some events cards could be add to be like a resource to the medic while moving around. Like: "I have a sniper in my group, so I could run with a cover on north"

Maybe thinking in a medic from a group, you could also add a possibility to expansion allowing a second player to the game, with more difficult scenarios but with another guy covering you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rajatz wrote:
I'm so excited about this game and i'm liking the ideias here. I'd to ask about our partners. I mean when a medic run into a wounded solider he usually has a cover by the partners, right ? Maybe some events cards could be add to be like a resource to the medic while moving around. Like: "I have a sniper in my group, so I could run with a cover on north"

Maybe thinking in a medic from a group, you could also add a possibility to expansion allowing a second player to the game, with more difficult scenarios but with another guy covering you.

Like these ideas! He great stuff! Thanks!

In some cases/maybe more, medics had backup so yes the cover fire from members in the squad, even possibly off board mortar or artillery fire called in ( place a card with modifiers affecting enemy accuracy etc) to supress the enemy fire, or just smoke thrown by squad members.

The squad members can help carry or go with a medic - The squad represented by their individual character cards at the base of the playing board (or shall we call it the playing mat?) anyways those squad members status can show not only their HEALTH but firing status. For example, as u suggest, suppressing/cover fire - can be separate card, maybe a counter, which can be played by the squad or certain members of the squad (the squads sniper) to counter a persistent enemy sniper or enemy position.

The squads participation in the game has been something I've wrangled with back & forth a lot.
You hit the nail on the head. Just how much are they or should be part of the game? Well maybe not the whole squad is there but they are nearby with 'x' number of them can participate.

I've posted below an amazing account of a medic I found as I was researching these guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspiring to say the least...10 trips....thru brutal fire...300 yards each time...and to survive
after all that!

Thomas J. Kelly:
Rank & Unit: Corporal, U.S. Army, Medical Detachment, 48th Armored Infantry Battalion, 7th Armored Division Doss, Place & Date Alemert, Germany, 5 April 1945

He was an aidman with the 1st Platoon, Co C during an attack on the town of Alemert, Germany. The platoon, committed in a flanking maneuver had advanced down a small open valley, overlooked by wooded slopes hiding enemy machine guns and tanks, when the attack was stopped by murderous fire that inflicted heavy casualties in the American ranks. Ordered to withdraw, Cpl. Kelly reached safety with the uninjured remnants of the unit, but, on realizing

the extent of casualties suffered by the platoon, he voluntarily retraced his steps and began evacuating his comrades under direct machine gun fire. He was forced to crawl, dragging the injured behind him for most of the 300 yards separating the exposed area from a place of comparative safety.

Two other volunteers who attempted to negotiate the hazardous route with him were mortally wounded, but he kept on with his herculean task after dressing their wounds and carrying them to friendly hands. In all, he made 10 separate trips through the brutal fire, each time bringing out a man from this death trap. 7 more casualties who were able to crawl by themselves he guided and encouraged in escaping from the hail of fire.

After he had completed his heroic, self-imposed task and was near collapse from fatigue, he refused to leave his platoon until the attack had been resumed and the objective taken. Cpl. Kelly’s gallantry and intrepidity in the face of seemingly certain death saved the lives of many of his fellow soldiers and was an example of bravery under fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you searched archive.org for personal accounts from medics? Not sure how many they have from ww2 though.

A few years ago when researching the Battle of Loos for a wargame I stumbled on this gem: http://archive.org/details/greatpushepisode00macguoft

"The great push; an episode of the Great War" by Irish "stretcher-
bearer" Patrick MacGill.

Very well written. I can see how he went on to a write more books after the war.

Maybe not exactly a proper medic (maybe they didn't have those even?), but there could be something in there for when you want to expand to ww1, or inspiration for ww2 (or just a nice book to read). I recall him describing episodes of going out under fire to drag back wounded soldiers anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey excellent Pelni! Many thanks! Yes very useful! I'm coming across all sorts of info on these Angels on the Battlefield: http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-Angels-Afghanistan-General... Amongst others, & I keep thinking how the mechanics will work thru the different wars... The example above, Thomas J Kelly, is an amazing example of what these medics did & went thru to do it, to save men wounded in action. Armed with bandages, medicine & a passion to save lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rough visual for concept scenario card maybe for a tutorial to get new players into game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Oakey
United Kingdom
Dartford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be of interest:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17552437
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awakener76 wrote:
This might be of interest:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17552437

Many thanks yeah interesting stuff & a definite for a later game expansion!

I'm also thinking amongst squillions of other ideas bouncing around in my brain (even though I'm off to dentist very shortly with accute toothache, need a medic myself right now!) I'm thinking of a Medic! for the Zulu war...set in the hospital/or/in & around the compound during the Rourke's Drift battle...

Many thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiltshire
Australia
Ingleburn
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rourke's rift: I can hear the singing now: Men of Harlech

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh yeah not sure a about singing rules...it'd be good for morale though...and a jib from one of those little pointy Assegai, a long or short one, hmmm don't know if a medic could do much good after that receiving that kind of wound!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiltshire
Australia
Ingleburn
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've seen the movie, it was before good SFX and the spears just bounce off the chests of the soldiers, so not sure they actually needed medics in the movie version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WIP for my game Medic! For the 2012 Solitaire Print and Play Contest! rough prototype/concept...
Ok...been working thru a heap of this ways or that etc to get to a point where I want to see the game going - kind of - still some directions I want to explore at this early stage but I have a rough look of the game at a point I can post something a little more um understandable...I like to think that is!

Here's a rough as concept of the way it seems to be going at the moment.

I've tossed back & forth on the game play a lot...the closeness, the tactical fighting, the environments they worked in, how to include it...still thinking of course but & this feels right in that the squad or company members are there on the battlefield as the medic does his life saving missions. They can support the medic in some way (thanks Rajatz!) It feels right the medic is there, in the game with the men as the infantry fight for their lives, for their comrades & an objective, BUT the game is about medics on the battlefield saving lives...

Aidmen/Medics were embedded into infantry units...& just like the rest of the company or squad members were right at the pointy end of the stick as it were. When it it came to danger, even more so than perhaps anyone. They were the ones that not only stuck their heads up to look around, not to find a target but to help someone & then they got up & then walked, ran, crawled to where help was needed the most & tried to save wounded men in the thick of battle, with weapons like bandages & splints & used their own bodies, with their backs to the enemy, to shield their wounded comrades from more hurt.

They carried & dragged wounded 100's of yards, out of from harms way, to safety, under fire from an enemy that was firing at them, around them, or by mistake shooting at them or just deliberately trying to kill them.

Then they went back for more. Many died trying.

The more I read about these angels, the more I am in awe at their bravery, that word isn't enough to describe them angels On the battlefield does I think, a real love of mankind, in situations, I can only read about, TRY to get my head into, where all around them, men were trying to kill each other in anyway they could.

Hmmmn this rough I have here gee I dunno if it's right, or the best way to go...I have some incomplete rules...one of them was a situation that arose of a SS sniper, or a fanatical Japanese soldier trying to kill a medic as he worked on or dashed towards a needy comrade, it needs to be in there, in all the expansions eventually (!) Vietnam, Korea etc. It's part of the environment these men worked in.

Enough outpourings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the comments below under the image but thought they needed to be here as well

The rough drawing I posted above is rough as but to give a look into & a feel for where this game is taking me/going!

The fighting men & their environment are there with the medic. They fight & get KIA or WIA & the medic is there. Under fire as they all are. The 'Medics Run' is a breakthru I had, well I thought LOL! When I tried to combine the action of the tactical warfare, but with the emphasis on the medic, with their support, if possible of fighting men around him.

His 'run' as it were maybe called the 'Gaunlet' as this is when he alone is fully exposed to enemy fire & or everything & anything that can harm him, God forbid friendly fire, accidents from the enemy, mistaken identity...shoot first...or deliberate murder. He has to get to the needy. Some will be closer than others. Some will be easy to give help to & evac, others a nightmare. It's his quest.

Save the wounded.

Sometimes the medic will be on his own. Other times he may get help. As suggested by Rajatz support which made me change my direction to embed the medic where he was, with the unit, even though he wandered, ran, crawled etc to help who he found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Your concept art looks amazing. I can't wait to see how this turns out. Keep up the good work.

Also, small typo in your comic teaser. Your should be you're.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for feedback & for pointing out that typo - I hate it when I do that! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorting thru rules....getting components ready for play testing, basic graphics now...some more developed images to post soon, but concentrating on how game plays etcetcetc... reading more about these amazing people who put their lives on the line for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to see this game withdrawn from the contest but I'm very excited to play it once you get it finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s
chansen2794 wrote:
I'm sorry to see this game withdrawn from the contest but I'm very excited to play it once you get it finished.

Many thanks Chris. This is a brilliant contest. You are doing a wonderfully thing here, great competition & a very fun atmosphere. So for that alone I thank you.

The game will be completed. No question. Still fleshing out mechanics, directions. I'm finding by writing a hypothetical AAR, as if written by a gamer, who has recorded their experience of playing Medic! is a great way to get an insight into where & how the game can go & as to how to actually design the game & it's mechanics, this way also gets me thinking also about the look of the game & it's components & why some components need to be in the game & others changed or new elements added.

But now to play as many of these finished games as I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike NZ
New Zealand
LOTR
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been working on this a bit, as much as I can. I will not give up because of real life! Grrrrer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.