Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 3 player game this evening with my wife and 10 year old son. This would be my son's second game, and the first for my wife. I wanted to assure different characters than last game, so I removed the ones from the previous game from our choices, and dealt 3 characters to each of us. I chose the Sorceress, my son chose the Thief, my wife chose the Monk - a pretty even mix I thought. One good, one neutral, one evil. House rules - 5 points for trophy trade-ins, No Acquisition spell for a Talisman (read about too many bad experiences with that).

The beginning of the game was slow - with many lives lost to pretty pathetic enemies. I bought a sword at the village the first chance I had. My son was robbing the village blind. My wife was getting some pretty good grabs from the deck, including the wand as her very first card! My son drew an early talisman. I went to the ruins, but my 2 cards there were the phantom (good for me), but guarded by a strength 7 dragon! Not good. Lost a life there. I did draw the unicorn pretty early though.

Middle of the game, my son (thief) had been switched to good alignment, and then finally evil alignment, which was weird. Some pixie or imp or something teleported me to the Hidden Valley, which seemed like an awesome way to get into the middle region! I drew the 3 cards - Talisman. Awesome - I need that. Cave - No biggie. And...Dragon! Stink! I lost another life, which took me down to 2. Much as I loved being away from the other characters, the outer region was tempting me with some good stuff. On the monk's side of the board was a mercenary just sitting there waiting to be hired (the monk had no money for most of the game). But I had the alchemist, which combos extremely well with the mercenary. There was a pool of wisdom in the outer region as well, and a healer right next to the graveyard. Then my wife drew the gnome, and my son drew Solomon's crown. Since I wanted to win via the craft route, I wanted both of those real bad. So I descended back to the middle region. Almost right after I walked past the sentinel the hermit showed up in the cursed glade waiting to give a talisman to the first one there. Stink!

I FINALLY make it to the mercenary and hired him (having about 3 gold at this point). Now at least I have a chance in a strength fight (having drawn the Runesword on the way). My son (thief), got the ring. Very nice. We used up the pool of wisdom. I healed 2 lives at the healer. I also stole Solomon's Crown from the Thief in a Psychic Combat. He was NOT happy, and 2 turns later stole it back from me My wife and son both had mules but I did not, so my alchemist was keeping me at only 4 items the whole game. But I did get the Orb of Knowledge, which helped me avoid the Hag! Thank you great orb! I also used the orb to discard the Holy Lance - which my opponents cringed at I go to the Sentinel with I think only 7 strength against his 9, but I have all 3 fate AND my mercenary now. But my son rolls a 6 for the Sentinel! Grrr. I lose another life (no point wasting a fate when they roll a 6). I try to have another go at him the next turn. My son rolls a 5 this time, and I roll a 2. I chance a fate token, and roll a 2 again! Man, this Sentinel is tough! Now I'm down to 2 life again. Thankfully the healer is right next door, and a few turns later I make my THIRD attempt at the Sentinel with 4 lives now. My wife rolls the die (much to my son's dismay), and only gets a 3 this time. I'm down 7 to 12, with mercenary ready to join in, and again I roll super low. I have to use a fate token AND the mercenary to finally beat this thing. Sheesh. I get to the Cursed Glade and pick up the free Talisman from the Hermit.

So it's clear to everyone that I am going for the win now. I have 4 lives, 1 fate token left, and 2 more gold to pay my mercenary with. But I also have 12 craft now, so that should be relatively easy. My wife (the monk), who now has 7 str (+3 more in combat), makes an unexpected move to the magic portal, hoping it will get her to the center. She succeeds, and gets to the Warlock's Cave! She could try to get the talisman from his quest, but she sees the one I left on the ground in the Hidden Valley (where a strength 7 dragon is). I head to the portal. My son uses a raft to cross to the middle region (at the temple). My wife defeats the dragon, trades in some trophies and now has 9 strength. Yes indeed. Now all 3 characters are in the middle region, and all 3 have their talismans!

I get to the portal first, and get in easily with my 12 craft. (I was never able to the get the gnome from my wife.) I'm about 3 turns ahead of my wife, who gets to the portal 1 turn before my son. I get through the next craft challenge (forget what it is called), and move on the Vampire's Tower. The gnome allows my wife to easily get past the Portal. On the next turn my son/thief (with more craft than strength actually), moves onto my wife's space and realizes that he can encounter her there. I'm practically yelling now. "Steal her talisman!" He is about to do it, but looks into mommy's puppy dog eyes and decides to be merciful, taking her wand instead. It's a good second choice, but I would have definitely taken the talisman. On my wife's next turn she goes an unexpected way - she goes down the str path. Weird. I know she had more str than craft (by 1), but she also had the gnome. I think she thought that the thief would go the craft route, and she didn't want to get robbed at every space. But I told her he couldn't do that. Anyway, she insists on going the str route. BIG mistake. At the next space, where she has to roll 3 dice and subtract her str, she rolls TWO sixes! Yikes. She uses a Fate token on one of the sixes and gets a 4, and another fate token on the other six also yields a 4. She still has to go back, but not as far. She has to go back to the portal of power.

Meanwhile at the Vampire's Tower I roll a 4 - Meaning I need to give up 2 lives. I'm hoping I won't need my alchemist anymore, so I sacrifice him and lose a life myself (down to 3 now). I use my mercenary against the pit fiends to insure my victory against them. In the next 2 turns I move to the crown of command. I ask them if they want to concede. They both say "No." I roll, but miss! I use my last fate token to try again, and I hit them this time. Unfortunately, they both entered the inner region with 5 lives, so they are only down to 4, and now on their way to kill me!

My son makes genious use of his wand now, and casts mesmerism on the monk, stealing her gnome right before she tries to pick the lock of the portal! Ouch! On the thief's next turn he casts another spell - this time the one that lets him take 3 turns in a row! Wow! You rock son! He does the Vampire's tower (sacrificing the gnome and princess - the latter of which seemed appropriate), then the pit fiends (losing no lives), AND the Valley of Fire ALL ON ONE TURN. This is not good for me, as I would have liked many more opportunities to cast the crown of command spell. My wife gets through the portal despite having no gnome anymore, and heads down the str path again (which was wise now that her gnome was gone). I cast the command spell one more time, and hit them both, taking them to 3 lives (the same as mine).

But now I need to get the rulebook out, as my son moves to the center space where I am standing. What happens when 2 characters are at the crown of command at the same time? The book says that we MUST have an "encounter" with the other character. It doesn't say it has to be a "fight", so we are assuming we can use our special abilities. My son, still leery of my mercenary perhaps, decides to steal my runesword. Nice move when you're at the crown of command space! My wife dices with death and rolls 2 sixes. Nice! I make a dumb move. I decide to steal my son's mule! He had 8 items at the time, so I figure it would weaken him, but it doesn't. He drops the water bottle, the talisman, a sword (since he has my runesword now), and something else that he didn't really need anymore. On his turn, he fights me, strength against strength. I pay my mercenary my last gold piece and defeat him, and decide to take his wand. Probably dumb, but it actually helped. ACQUISITION comes into my hand! Cool! I steal my runesword back from my son, but go at him with psychic combat again (my mercenary can't help me now). He loses another life, and has only 1 left. I can tell he's getting upset On his turn he takes another life from me (leaving me with only 2!) In the meantime, my wife has defeated the werewolf easily (adding her 3 craft to the battle), and enters the valley of fire! It's getting crowded in here! I psychic combat my son, and he loses his last life (unable to use his armor against it). Yes, daddy killed his little boy. (I feel bad - I really do!) Reading the rules, this also seems to allow me to pick up all his stuff, which includes this shiny set of armor, which I do, right before the monk shows up to whack me!

So now the monk and I are going to have it out for the crown. She has 3 lives, and I have 2, and she gets the first shot! She is 12 in combat to my 8. Not good odds for me. She scores a hit, and wants to take a life from me, which gives me a chance to use my armor. My armor fails! I have ONE life left now! So I psychic combat her, and she doesn't even get to roll because I have so much more craft than she does. She is down to 2 life now. The monk slaps the sorceress with his open palm again - a solid hit. I roll for the armor - my ONE chance at life. Success! I'm still alive! Next Psychic combat takes her down to one life also. She rears back to punch me again, and scores another hit! Come on armor, don't fail me now....SUCCESS AGAIN! My sorceress screams with wicked delight, as she fries the brain of the monk in a final round of psychic combat. She picks up the crown again, and tries it on for size, standing in as triumphant a pose as she can in her bloodied condition, the lifeless corpses of the thief and the monk at her feet.

Yeah...EPIC.

(Hope we played everything correctly. I think the mistake my wife made was not taking my armor on the first victory. I think she had enough life to take me in the attrition war if I didn't have it, even though she would not be able to wear it herself. This is of course assuming that you don't have to steal life if you win, which might be a rule I am unaware of. Another twist of irony. My wife had a spell for the whole game that she never cast - INVISIBILITY! I told her that she could have evaded my attack and survived for at least one more turn if she had cast it. Who knows if my armor would have held out against one more hit?)

Thanks for reading a LONG session report. Hope it was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must decide to pay the Mercenary before any attack rolls are made by yourself or your opponent!

Ell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When going up against someone who is weaker in battle, but has Armour, first reward you take is the Armour, then ditch it right away, so they can't take it back if they win (like you did in psychic combat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanamsilat wrote:
You must decide to pay the Mercenary before any attack rolls are made by yourself or your opponent!

Ell.
Then we played that wrong a couple times. Sorry about that.

It will help my family feel better knowing that I only won by cheating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to apologise at all.