Subject: NinjaDorg's Room Event Deck "Extended Edition" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was inspired while creating cards for the Legend of Drizzt Campaign Event deck and Wrath of Ashardalon Room Event decks. Here's my first attempt at expanding the Castle Ravenloft room deck to 7 cards for every location. I'm about halfway done with the project.

Title: Aurel Crypt
Flavor: A palpable sense of menace clings to the stale air of the crypt. Your foes pull up short; refusing to give chase.
Text: Move all monsters on Aurel's Crypt and any adjoining tiles one tile further away from the crypt.

Flavor: A faint whisper begins to your left. Another chimes in on the right while a third whisper chatters behind you. More voices join the chorus as you struggle to make out the words.
Text: The whispers converge into a clear statement - "Get out!" You move quickly to comply. The active hero may take an extra move action.

Flavor: The chill air of the crypt seems to sap the energy right out of you.
Text: Subtract -2 from the active hero's next attack roll.

Title: Strahd Crypt
Flavor: You leap back as the lid to a fine mahogany coffin is flung open. 'I thought those beasties would never go away,' chimes the halfing. 'The name's Tomi Undergallows.'
Text: Tomi shares his story once the tile is empty of all monsters. The roguish halfling hid in the coffin when Strahd's minions showed up. He was fortunate the vampire lord was away. Draw Treasure Cards until you find an item. The active hero may purchase the treasure for the listed price.

Title : Strahd Crypt
Flavor: Fine rugs cover the floor. White alabaster columns stretch to a ceiling covered in bas-relief mosaics. Many luxuries adorn the crypt.
Text: You examine the bottles held in an oaken wine rack and are relieved they contain wine. The active hero must roll the die if they drink the wine. Add +5 to the roll if the player is a dwarf.

1-10: The first swig is impressive. You rapidly finish the bottle and are now drunk. You are -1 to hit and -1 AC for the rest of the adventure.
11-15: The wine is strong and flavorful. You wisely stick to your limit. No effect.
16-20: The wine gives you a warm glow of well-being. Heal 2 HP of damage.

Title: Strahd Crypt
Flavor: A skeleton moves about the crypt sweeping the floor with a long handled broom. It doesn't react to your presence so you leave it alone.
Text: Nothing happens.

Title: Chapel
Flavor: The refrains of an organ draw you to towards the chapel. You see a spectral bride floating by the altar.
Text: Skeletons adorned in finery occupy the pews. The congregation turns its collective heads in your direction. Hollow eyes stare at you expectantly. You back away. The active hero may take an additional move action.

Flavor: A simple altar rests in a quiet nook. Whisps of smoke curl upwards from a recently extinguished candleabra.

Flavor: A feeling of safety and well-being permeates the air. Your foes fidget slightly as you turn to confront them.
Text: Heroes occupying the chapel tile are +1 AC.

Title: Secret Stair
Flavor: Your relief at finding the Secret Stair turns into a shout of frustation.
Text: The door to the Secret Stair is locked. Heroes may skip their attack action to unlock the door. The stairway leads out of Castle Ravenloft once the door is unlocked. You may use it as an exit at any time to escape your adventure.

Flavor: A dark shape descends from the stairwell and steps into the light of your lantern.

1-10 Draw an additional monster card for the Secret Stair tile.
11-20 You sigh in relief at the sight of harmless animal.

Flavor: You're relieved to find another way out of this forsaken castle.
Text: The active hero adds +1 to their next attack roll.

Title: Fetid Den
Flavor: You retch at the stench emanating from the squalid chamber.
Text: Heroes on the Fetid Den tile subtract -1 from their attack rolls.

Flavor: The foul muck coating the floor makes it difficult to move without slipping.
Text: All figures occupying the Fetid Den tile are -1 AC. This effect does not apply to boss monsters or spectral opponents like wraiths.

Title: King's Crypt
Flavor: You freeze at the sight of a ghostly figure girded in fine armor. The spirit is lost in its own reverie. The ghost describes the tale of its sad ending repeatedly.
Text: The dull monotone of its voice has an almost hypnotic effect on you. The active hero must roll the die:

1-8: You are caught up by the sad tale. Skip your next attack action.
9-16: You shake your head as if waking from a bad dream. No effect.
17-20: The ghost's history lesson provides some insight into the castle's denizens. Add +1 to your attack rolls for the rest of the current adventure.

Flavor: "Surely this crypt must contain some valuables."
Text: The first hero to occupy the King's Crypt tile may search it:

1-6: The search took longer than you thought. Draw an encounter card.
7-16: You find nothing.
17-20: Draw 2 Treasure Tokens. Draw one Treasure Card if your campaign doesn't use Treasure Tokens.

Flavor: "A skeleton adorned in fine armor sits upon a carved stone throne. It rises slowly drawing its long sword."
Text: The skeleton takes a step before collapsing in a heap of bones. The magic animating it weakened a long time ago. Nothing happens.

Title: Ireena's Crypt
Flavor: "Ireena Kolyana asked you to retrieve her family's signet ring from their crypt in Castle Ravenloft. You feel a slight pang of guilt as you open the sarcophagi and rummage through their contents."
Text: Discard this card if Ireena is dead. Any hero on Ireena's Crypt tile may forgo their move action to search the crypt. Anyone who does so retrieves the ring. The party gains 2 XP at the end of the adventure and may draw Ireena's card from the campaign event deck.

Flavor: "Construction on the new crypt stops as the skeletal workers turn to face you."
Text: Draw and place all 3 Skeletons on Ireena's Crypt, taking them from the discard pile, XP pile or another tile if necessary.

Flavor: "You proceed cautiously wondering what lies ahead."
Text: Ignore monster placement on Ireena's Crypt if she's alive. Place a Young Vampire Villain on the tile if Irena is dead and a figure is available. It starts with 2 fewer HPs.

Title: Barov Crypt
Flavor: "The corpse of Ravenovia, Strahd's mother, has an ebony raven pendant with ruby eyes suspended from a golden chain. You recall Strahd mentioning it several times in his writings."
Text: The hero may take the pendant if they wish and wear it when confronting Strahd. Keep this card and roll the die to determine Strahd's reaction during the showdown:

1-5: Strahd is outraged at the defilement of his parents' crypt. He adds +1 to his rolls against the pendant wearer.
6-15 "What have we here? So now you are grave robbers too? My minions will return what was stolen once I'm finished with you." No effect.
16-20 Strahd seems hesistant to strike. He subtracts -2 from his rolls against the pendant wearer.

Flavor: "Barov and Ravenovia's sarcophagi are covered in glyphs. The glyphs are obviously designed to deter grave robbers."
Text: Roll the die. Wizard characters add +5 to their roll.

1-5: The glyphs flare and you find yourself unable to move. Gain the Immobilized condition.
6-10: You trigger the glyphs and everything around you appears to move much faster. Gain the Slowed conditon.
11-15: The glyphs explode. Take 2 HP damage.
16-20: You successfully neutralize the glyphs. No effect.

Draw one Treasure Card.

Flavor: "Statues of Barov and Ravenovia tower above their final resting place. They gaze downward with dour expressions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I modified the treasure results of some of the cards in my first post. Here's some more cards.

Title: Arcane Circle
Flavor: An unlit brazier sits in the middle of a triangle bounded by a series of concentric circles. Strange runes are etched between the geometric shapes.
Text: Roll the die if you light the brazier. Wizard characters add +5 to their roll.

1-5: You carelessly left yourself inside the figure when you lit the brazier. An abyssal beast tears at you as you retreat. Lose 2 HP.
6-17: "You're not Fizwitz!" shrieks the demon. It disappears in a puff of smoke.
18-20: "Yeah, yeah, wealth and power," sighs the demon. It leaves behind some treasure before returning to the Abyss. Draw 2 Treasure Tokens. Draw one Treasure Card if your campaign doesn't use Treasure Tokens.

Flavor: A stone ring sits atop a small dias in the center of the room. Runes are etched along its outer edge. Images of other locations within Castle Ravenloft are displayed inside the ring."
Text: One hero on the Arcane Circle may move to any other revealed tile. The portal powers down after the hero steps through and is inactive for the rest of the adventure.

Title: Rotting Nook
Flavor: This nook used to be a library. Now its shelves are smashed. Books and scrolls lie scattered about. Perhaps you'll find something useful.
Text: Any hero entering the Rotting Nook may forgo a regular attack against a monster and instead read the books and scrolls. Treat this as a +6 attack against an AC 18 target. A successful attack allows the hero to recharge a one-time use power. The first hero to succeed learns the secrets contained in the Rotting Nook and other heroes can't benefit from reading the books and scrolls.

Flavor: A thick cloud of spores hangs in the air. You start to sneeze uncontrollably.
Text: Roll the die:

1-5: Acquire the Poisoned condition.
6-10: Acquire the Dazed condition. If you don't have Dazed condition tokens take this card. Next turn you may only Move or Attack, not both.
11-20: You recover quickly. No effect.

Flavor: Everything is covered in a thick layer of fungus. You spot a small batch of fungi that's different from the rest. It might be edible.
Text: Roll the die if you eat the fungi. Rangers add +5 to their roll.

1-5 The fungus is poisonous. Your stomach twists up in knots. Lose 2 HPs.
6-10 The fungus is bland and unremarkable. No effect.
11-15 The tasteless fungus is actually quite nourishing. Heal 1 HP.
16-20 You feel better after eating the fungus. Remove all conditions and heal 2 HPs.

Title: Lonely Crypt
Flavor: "Come and stay a while," says the spirit. "It's been a long time since I've had guests."
Text: You see no harm in humoring the shade. Roll the die:

1-15 Most of what it says is outright nonsense. No effect.
16-20 You perk up when the spirit mentions the castle's defenses. Add +4 to all rolls against the next trap found by the party.

Flavor: "Several coffins occupy this section of the castle."
Text: Roll the die if you wish to examine the coffins:

1-7 A monster bursts forth from one of the coffins. Draw a monster card and add it to the Lonely Crypt tile.
8-12 You find nothing of value.
13-17 Draw a Treasure Token. Draw one Treasure Card if your campaign doesn't use Treasure Tokens.
18-20 Draw 2 Treasure Tokens. Draw one Treasure Card if your campaign doesn't use Treasure Tokens.

Flavor: You've stumbled upon the undertaker's workshop. The crypt is filled with tools, wooden planks, and bolts of cloth and silk. Several coffins in varying states of construction are present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title: Sergei's Crypt
Flavor: A deep sense of longing and sadness fills the empty spaces of the crypt. Some of the melancholy takes root in your heart for unexplained reasons.
Text: The active hero subtracts -1 from their next attack roll.

Flavor: Waves of rage emanate from the crypt. You're briefly caught up in the sentiment and attack recklessly.
Text: The active hero may take an extra attack action this turn at -3 to hit.

Flavor: A batch of fresh white lillies lies bundled atop Sergei's sarcophagus.
Text: Who would do such a thing? How did they make it past the castle's guardians? Why does Sergei have mourners after all these years? These questions will have to wait for another time. Nothing happens.

Title: Dark Fountain
Flavor: The clear water burbles as you approach. A geyser bursts from the fountain assuming the shape of a deadly cobra.
Text: The fountain is occupied by a minor water elemental creature. Heroes ending their movement on the Dark Fountain tile must also fight the snake.

AC 16
HP 3
Attack +6

The snake attacks the active hero on the tile during the monster phase. Other heroes on the tile are unaffected.

[Elmore's "Dungeon of Dread" cover inspired this card. I'd suggest using the picture for the upper corner of the card too.]

Flavor: A dusty placard emblazoned with the words "Wishing Fountain" sits beside the pool. The placard's instructions ask the reader to deposit an item in the pool.
Text: The active hero may deposit one treasure item in the pool and draw the next treasure item from the Treasure Card deck. Shuffle the discarded card back into the Treasure Card deck when you are finished. Discard this card.

Flavor: The water in the fountain is cool and refreshing.
Text: The active hero may discard all conditions and heals 2 HP. Discard this card.

Title: Artimus Crypt
Flavor: "I'm much too busy to deal with interruptions. Get out of here."
Text: The spirit waves its hand dismissively. An unseen force pushes you back. All figures on the Artimus Crypt tile and tiles adjacent to it move one tile away from the crypt.

Flavor: A slow, steady drip of water is the only sound eminating from the crypt.
Text: Don't place a monster on the Artimus Crypt when it's revealed.

Flavor: A small hutch sits in the far-off corner of the crypt. A single candle gutters futilely against the darkness. Who would work in a place like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work! I'll get around to assembling these cards soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I modified the earlier cards from "Mage characters add +5 to their roll" to "Wizard characters add +5 to their roll."

Here's the last batch of cards. Hopefully GeckoTh doesn't hate me for all the extra work I've given him. He'll have to check the card text for compliance with existing cards on capitalization, "hit points vs. HP", "Treasure Card or treasure card", etc. I tried to be consistent this time around.

Title: Workshop
Flavor: A reanimated creature rises from the workbench and shuffles towards you.
Text: Roll the die to see what comes to life. Place the figure on the Workshop tile if you're able to. Use the next lowest result if you're out of figures. Wrap around the die result table if necessary. Draw an encounter card if you're unable to place a figure.

1-5 Gargoyle
6-10 Blazing Skeleton
11-15 Ghoul
16-20 Zombie

[ed - Here's how it works. Place a Blazing Skeleton if you roll a 9. Place a Gargoyle if you're out of Blazing Skeletons. Place a zombie if you're out of Gargoyles, Place a ghoul if you're out of zombies, and finally draw an encounter card if you can't place anything.]

Flavor: Hungry wolves protect the workshop's contents. There must be something valuable here.
Text: Draw and place all wolves on the Workshop tile, taking them from the discard pile, XP pile or another tile if necessary. Draw a Treasure Token once the wolves are defeated. Draw one Treasure Card if your campaign doesn't use Treasure Tokens.

Flavor: The workshop is full of construction materials and tools. None of it appears useful.

Title: Laboratory
Flavor: The floor is wet with the contents of smashed bottles and vials. The laboratory bench is hacked to pieces.
Text: Nothing happens

Flavor: You rummage among the laboratory's contents hoping to find something useful.
Text: Roll the die. Wizard characters add +5 to their roll.

1-15: You find nothing of value.
16-20: The town apothecary could put these components to good use. Draw two Treasure Tokens at the end of your adventure discarding any Treasure Card results. Draw one Treasure Card if your campaign doesn't use Treasure Tokens.

Flavor: The shelves of the laboratory are bare. The laboratory station is clear of any contents.
Text: Nothing happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that's up to GeckoTh. So long as the card backs match the existing cards I'll be happy. If he decides to re-do the entire set then I'll just buy the cards a second time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question

I'll see if Ninja's got the artwork he used floating around somewhere. I suppose that if I'll be making a bunch of new cards, I might as well go back and refresh the old ones. Though the rate at which Autoduelist is pumping out cards, I've got some catching up to do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should probably add one of your nifty instruction cards to the expanded deck. The original Ravenloft Room Event deck was designed with the "play when the tile is revealed" mechanic so it wouldn't hurt to look over the original files too if the Photoshop files are available to revise any instructions on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a reminder to folks to pay attention to this thread. More Room Event cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few more cards for the Crypt deck to bring it up to 12 cards. They come up more often than the other tiles because they're sharing decks.

Title: Crypt
Flavor: "Eh! What're you doin' here?" sputters the dwarven grave digger.
Text: "Can't you see this place isn't safe? Now git. Don't worry about me; I work here so nothin'll happen to me."

The dwarf shoos you away. Any heroes currently on the tile may take a move action if they wish.

Flavor: The lids of the sarcophagi are splintered and cracked.
Text: Bits of stone and wood lie strewn about the chamber. Closer inspection reveals the sarcophagi were destroyed from the inside. You suspect the occupants are the foes stalking you through the castle at this very moment....

Nothing happens.

Flavor: Dried flowers lie at the foot of a sarcophagus.
Text: It's been a long time since anyone's visited this corner of the castle.

Nothing happens.

Flavor: Family names are carved into the crests adorning the fine marble sarcophagi.
Text: Roll the die if you decide to loot them.

1-5 You've disturbed the denizens of this crypt. Draw an extra monster card and place the monster on this tile. If it's a duplicate monster pass it to the next player as needed.

6-12 You find nothing of value.

13-17 Take the first item you find in the treasure deck, set it aside, and reshuffle the treasure deck. One of the townsfolk recognizes it. You receive its value in gold as a reward if you survive the adventure.

18-20 Take the first item you find in the treasure deck and keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flavor: Stone statues mutely guard the occupants entombed in this section of the castle.

Flavor: Skeletons and zombies labor on this unfinished section of the castle.
Text: They ignore your presence and continue working.

Nothing happens.

Title Crypt
Flavor: Cobwebs criss-cross every section of this undisturbed corner of the castle.
Text: Search the monster deck and replace the currently drawn monster with a Spider if you find one. Reshuffle the monster deck. Give the card to the active hero or the next player as appropriate if they already have a Spider card.

Title:Crypt
Flavor: Faint whispers break the silence of the chamber.
Text: It's almost as if the occupants interred here are talking amongst themselves. You brace yourself for an attack and find no attack is forthcoming.

Nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew! Finally got through all those cards.

Here's a first draft of everything:

CR Room Events - Draft 1
(I figured it'd be easier to flip through a folder of images than a grid of cards on pdf pages)

Lemme know if you see any typos, or see any other corrections that need to be made.

Here's the Instructions card:

Notable changes I made to the cards:
-Since you'll typically be entering a Named Tile during your Hero Phase, I modified the wording on some cards to make them work properly.

-I scaled back a few encounters. Some of the cards had you pull all 3 of an existing Monster and add them to the tile. It's entirely possible for a Hero to enter a Named Tile with a Monster on it, pull one of these cards to add 3 more Monsters, then have potentially 4 Monsters attack him during the Villain Phase. Seems a little harsh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder Twin powers activate!

Form of a deck of cards!
Shape of completely finished AD&D Adventure System games with 7 or more room event cards for each tile & individual campaign decks!

I'll start looking at the drafts. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I found in the first draft.

6/128 Possible comedy bit: 7-15 could be, "The startled wizard straightens his robes before disappearing in a puff of smoke."
23/128 Missing " in front of the dwarf's second comment: Can't you see this place isn't safe?
26/128 Result 13-17 didn't have the disclaimer: "If your game is not using Treasure Tokens, then draw 1 Treasure Card."
29/128 The result doesn't match up with the introduction. Would this work instead? "Cobwebs drape the corners of the tomb. A fine layer of dust coats most of the surfaces."

Description: "Then you notice the tiny footprints. Search the...." or maybe "Tiny yellow eyes stare at you from beneath some of the coffins. Search the...."

Does ravenloft have a vermin opponent? Did you mean to say rat swarm? I saw a similar request for vermin on one of the Strahd crypt cards.

41/128 Ravenovia is misspelled (e instead of a): "You've learned that Barov and Revenovia.."
43/128 Do you want to say "Draw one Treasure card regardless of the result" just to make it clear the hero always gets a treasure regardless of what happens with the glyphs?
48/128 "Gain 5 Experience" or "+5 Experience" instead?
54/128 Not sure what "You risk tesing you hands in the water" means. Does this work for you? "You cup your hands in the cool water and drink deeply. It soothes you to the core."
59/128 Should this provide instructions for the lack of poisoned tokens?
60/128 106/128 References the lack of Dazed tokens. Shouldn't 60/128 do the same?
68/128 Result 15-20: "sleeping" is missing an 'e' (sleping)
70/128 Add "Discard this card if Ireena is already dead" to the card?
73/128 Carry is missing an 'r': "You cary my heirloom,"
75/128 The flavor text is past tense so I think it should be "its contents spilled out onto the floor." Might also be able to say "and the sarcophagus is overturned..." Does this sound better for the description? "You find nothing of interest amidst the jumbled remains" or "You find nothing of interest amidst the jumbled heap of decaying flesh and bones."
78/128 Missing the 's' on choose: "If the active Hero choose to search the room...."
80/128 Should this provide instructions for the lack of poisoned tokens?
95/128 I assume the 2 Experience covers the 2 extra hit points on Aurel and is in addition to the experience from the Wraith's card?
119/128 It's too late for me to catch this in the Drizzt deck but not here; Halfling is missing the 'l': chimes the halfing. "The name's Undergallows." Unnecessary "the" in the description: "may purchase the one or both Treasures..."
120/128 Missing the "if you don't have dazed tokens" verbage displayed on card 106
126/128 distraction has a 'c' in it that doesn't belong: "disctraction"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very thorough! Nicely done. Here are my counter-notes:

6/128 I shortened the '7-15' result simply due to card space. I was out of room! I could fit maybe 4 more words there, but not a whole sentence, heh.
29/128 Regarding Vermin Monsters: Okay, I just looked through all the Monsters across all three games, and here's the breakdown. CR's Spider, LoD's Spider Swarm, and LoD's Drider are all considered "Vermin." I thought Rat Swarms were also vermin, but they're actually listed as "Animal". The other Animals in the game are CR's Wolf and WoA's Cave Bear. The Strahd card with Vermin should probably stay as is (especially since there's the possibility of pulling the Drider, hehe). So I'll re-word this card to specifically draw the Rat Swarm.
43/128 Good suggestion to clarify that the Hero draws a Treasure Card regardless of the result, consider it added.
48/128 I'm not sure if it's officially established to be either "gain 5 Experience" or "gain +5 Experience" when writing it in a card description, since the Monster Cards merely have "X EXPERIENCE" printed at the bottom. Therefore I think either one will work just fine.
95/129 Yes, you're correct that the 2 Experience is in addition to the Wraith's Experience. I've now clarified that.

If I didn't mention a card, then your suggestion was made without hesitation.

CR Room Event Deck - Draft 2

Also, before I submit this as a PDF, I want to look at the possibility of changing a card or two in order to utilize some of the many unique adventure tokens in this game:

Card 41 has you draw an Adventure Treasure card if you roll well. It might be nice to have a similar effect on one or two other cards. However, I'll need to look through all the Adventure Treasure Cards and their uses throughout the Adventure Book to make sure we don't generate some weird conflicts. (The Instructions card says to discard/ignore cards from this deck that deal with adventure-specific items, which should hopefully be a catch-all. But it's worth looking through everything to make sure we cover the bases).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent work Tom. I'll look over those new cards. Apologies for my ignorance about what "vermin" meant in game terms.

So you're thinking of more cards similar to what we did with Drizzt where the tokens became part of the event's story? Such as finding an item on the Underground River tile and bringing it back to the Dwarven Statue?

Here's some ideas I can think of with the tokens:

1.) The STAKE might be a reward allowing you to discard a corporal undead creature drawn in the future (no Ghosts or Wraiths but something with a body like a ghoul, zombie or young vampire). DIMENSIONAL SHACKLES could do the same thing for non-corporal enemies (Ghost, Wraiths).

2.) FEYWALK AMULET might be useful when combined with the Arcane Circle. Perhaps it could be found in the Rotting Nook or information about it's usefulness is found there? One idea, maybe the amulet with the Arcane Circle allows you to teleport to other tiles as many times as you want - however, each time you have to visit the Arcane Circle first. Think of it as the "key" to the locked teleporter on the tile.

Other possibilities include the player not controlling where they teleport and having to roll (Elves get a bonus). A really low result is terrible and puts the player on the tile with the most monster figures. A high result might allow the player to draw two tiles, discard one, and place the tile and their hero on the newly revealed tile. Basically a short-cut to the final encounter. Moderate rolls allow the player to move 1-3 tiles away from their current location to another already revealed tile.

3.) SKULL has to be returned to a crypt in order to soothe a ghost. The ghost might have a very weak attack against the player until this is done. Say a +2 attack doing 1 damage; ideally it's just a nuisance to force the player to backtrack. Or it could be the usual quest of "if you show up here you get experience / treasure / or a power refresh."

4.) The classic TORCH scenario is to have to light braziers in various locations to complete a ritual. One idea I had was visiting multiple locations. The player gains 1 XP for each brazier lit. If all the locations are lit they're allowed to remove 1 or 2 non-villain monsters from the board for no XP. So basically the room "trips" take the place of fighting the monsters. I figured the lighting would take no actions because the player may already be penalized with encounter cards for having to backtrack through spaces. I was envisioning 6-8 locations with only 4 of them having to be lit to finish the ceremony.

5.) Perhaps FOOD could be used to feed a prisoner. Basically a townsfolk - or even an ally - is too weak to flee so they must be fed before they're able to escape with the hero.

6.) MIRRORS do all sorts of horrible things in horror. We should use it for a card. One idea - maybe the active player sees a shadowy figure in the mirror. They can break the mirror on a designated space. A low roll releases a monster but a high roll releases a helpful ally.

If we wanted to be mean perhaps part of the players' soul is trapped in the mirror. They suffer a small penalty until the ritual to free themselves is done. Weirder possibilities might be a combination of a penalty and some kind of benefit. Perhaps the player can control the direction of certain monsters' movement or have the monster type choose what target it attacked instead of the closest figure on a tile. Or maybe the player gets to draw two event cards when they draw and choose which one occurs. Is seeing the future for your hero worth the -3 attack roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some more cards for your request.

Flavor: A fine stout pole lies atop the sturdy workbench. You swiftly break the pole in two and carve a sharp point onto each piece.
Text: Ignore this card if the Wooden Stake is a required item for the scenario.

Take the Wooden Stake token. You may discard the token at any point during the adventure to defeat a corporeal non-villain undead creature on your tile.

Title: Prince Aurel's Crypt
Flavor: A wraith coalesces from the cold damp air. "There's a phylactery nearby that I need. Bring it to me and you will be rewarded."
Text: Ignore this card if the scenario uses Gravestorm's Phylactery.

Any hero ending their movement on the Arcane Circle or Laboratory tiles finds the phylactery. Return it to Prince Aurel's Crypt and draw one Treasure Card.

Flavor: You discover a curious box lined with yellow and black stripes. The lid is embossed with an X'd out ghost.
Text: The initials P. Venkman are carved into the side.

Ignore this card if the scenario uses Dimensional Shackles.

Take the Dimensional Shackles token. You may discard the token at any point during the adventure to defeat a incorporeal non-villain undead creature on your tile.

Flavor: An ear piercing shriek slices through the air. The etheral form of an elven woman floats above you.
Text: "I was a fair maiden once; now I can't remember what I look like!"

Ignore this card if the scenario uses the Portrait. Any hero ending their movement on the Rotting Nook finds the portrait. Take the Portrait token and return it to the Lonely Crypt to end the spirit's torment and gain 4 XP.

Flavor: You find a skull buried amongst the debris. You drop it in surprise when the mouth starts to move.
Text: "Those beasts were gnawing on what was left of me. Please inter my remains so I can rest."

Ignore this card if the scenario uses the Skull. Take the Skull token. Discard it in any of the Crypt Corner tiles and gain 3 XP.

Flavor: A book lies open atop the altar. It details a ritual for soothing the spirits of the dead.
Text: Ignore this card if the scenario uses the Torch.

Take the Torch token. You must light the braziers in four of the following Crypts: Sergei, Artimus, Barov & Ravenovia, Ireena, King's, Prince Aurel, Lonely. Gain 1 XP for each lit brazier. Remove two non-villain monsters from the game board for no XP gain once the ritual is completed.

Flavor: A mirror shines brightly among the debris. You pick it up and discover a shadowy shape writhing beneath the glassy surface.
Text: It wordlessly mouths "Release me" and an image of a magical circle appears.

Ignore this card if the scenario uses the Mirror. Take the Mirror token. Discard it on the Arcane Circle tile and roll the die:

1-10: You've released a monster! Draw a monster card and place the figure on the tile.
11-20: The figure that emerges is a friendly one. Draw an ally and place it on the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my edits for Draft #2. I realize some of the spellings are a holdover from NinjaDorg and my years reading Games Workshop materials made me used to the English spellings for "armour" and "rumour".

12/128 Should be "refrains" not "remains of an organ"
72/128 Missing the 'r' in strewn: "stewn about the floor."
73/128 Used the British spelling for armor "armour"
76/128 Used the British spelling for armor "armour"
77/128 Used the British spelling for armor "armour"
79/128 Used the British spelling for armor "armour"
110/128 Used the British spelling for rumors "rumours"
117/128 Perhaps "strange", "monstrous", or "grotesque" figures instead of "Dark figures shuffle out from the darkness?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some more cards that use the tokens.

Flavor: An emaciated ghoul sits atop a fine throne adorned with gems. It points a bony finger at you.
Text: "Your king hungers! Fetch me food from the kitchens knave!" The king is obviously unaware of his undead state.

Ignore this card if the scenario uses Food. Any hero ending their movement on the Rotting Nook or Fetid Den tiles may take the Food Token. Discard the token when you reach the King's Crypt and gain 4 XP.

Until the king is fed, any hero ending their movement on the King's Crypt is attacked by the King's claw attack.

Discard this card when the King is fed.

Flavor: You briefly stare into the depths of the fountain when inspiration strikes. Perhaps the waters can be used as a weapon!
Text: Ignore this card if the scenario uses Holy Water.

Take the Holy Water token. If you end your movement on the Chapel tile you bless the water making it Holy Water. Discard the Holy Water token to defeat an undead creature on your tile.

Title: Crypt of Barov and Ravenova
Flavor: A spirit angrily paces about the tomb. "Thieves! They stole my Silver Dagger because they were out of tools!"
Text: Barov's shade points a spectral finger towards you. "Retrieve my dagger from the workshop and I will reward you."

Ignore this card if the scenario uses the Silver Dagger. Any hero ending their movement in the workshop takes the Silver Dagger token. Discard this token on the Crypt of Barov and Ravenova. Draw two Treasure Cards and keep one of them. Place the other Treasure back in the deck and reshuffle it.

Title: Crypt of Artimus
Flavor: A stone bust bearing the likeness of Castle Ravenloft's chief architect stares outward with a dour expression. A golden necklace is draped around its neck.
Description: Ignore this card if the scenario uses the Feywalk Amulet.

Take the Feywalk Amulet token. You must roll the die each turn instead of moving. Elves add +5 to their roll:

1-7: Teleport to the tile with the most monster figures on it.
8-13: Teleport two tiles away from your current location to a revealed tile.
14-17: Teleport to an unrevealed tile. Place the tile at any location you choose.
18-20: Hero chooses where they teleport.

Return the token to the Crypt of Artimus to end the curse.

Flavor: A Raven is perched atop the coffin held in this room. It caws at your approach.
Text: You are unnerved when the bird decides to follow you.

Ignore this card if the scenario uses the Animal token. Take the Animal token. The raven is a familiar in the service of Strahd. You are -1 to attack as long as the raven accompanies you. The bird leaves you to report back to Strahd when you end your movement in Strahd's Crypt.

Discard the Animal Token in Strahd's Crypt.

Flavor: A mournful spirit occupies the tomb. "I wish I wasn't bound to this shadowy place. Please help me escape stranger."
Text: Ignore this card if the scenario uses the Icon of Ravenloft.
Take the Icon of Ravenloft token. Sergei's spirit is held in place by the icon. You must remove it from the castle to release his spirit. Discard the token on the Secret Stairway tile to gain 4 XP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the last 3 cards to bring each location up to a minimum of eight cards.

Title: Secret Stairway
Flavor: You search in vain to find the secret exit to escape Castle Ravenloft.
Text: You may not use the Secret Stairway to escape and end the adventure unless the scenario says otherwise.

Flavor: The lab bench is overturned. Vials containing foul smelling liquids and powders are smashed on the floor.
Text: A set of humanoid footprints lead up to the workbench. A set of monsterous claws lead away. What happened here?

Nothing happens.

Title: Strahd's Crypt
Flavor: A sense of dread fills you as you realize you're in the lair of Ravenloft's ruler.
Text: You are -1 on your next attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome ideas!!

I'll start working on making the cards. Instead of adding a card to each tile, I might simply replace one of the "Nothing Happens" cards in each set. That way, the total deck size won't be an out-of-control 144 cards, but keep it to 128 (which is still very large). Also, if I add new cards, it will throw off my numbering system, and I'll have to edit and re-save every single card in the whole deck. cry

As far as the spelling differences go, I'm torn and could go either way. Part of me kinda likes the English spelling, though on the other hand, the rest of the game is written in American english - so that would make it more consistent.

Hopefully I can finish up this whole thing in the next couple of days, in order to take avantage of that PrinterStudio deal going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah I see. I always thought the numbers were for verifying you had a complete deck from the printer.

It looks like you don't need those 3 extra filler cards from my last post (Secret Stairs, Strahd's Crypt, Laboratory). I should have put a little more work into the flavor text anyway. yuk

If you still like them let me know and I'll try to come up with something more evocative. Strahd's Crypt could detail the murals of his life accomplishments. The Laboratory's Jekyll & Hyde scenario could be a little clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course if you drop the numbers it makes adding to the deck easier in the future. I wasn't expecting everything to be in nice order anyway. I think given the choice everyone would prefer having more rather than less cards.

I'm glad each game is up to 7-8 cards now. I don't have to feel pressured to come up with more content. It's nice to have the option open though. I've been thinking the Dyyd angle in Wrath could use some more attention. Ravenloft still might have something left in it. I find the ideas come easier for it than the other two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the latest and greatest:

CR Room Event Deck - Draft 3

Changes I made:

Some of your new fetch quests had a reward of 4 XP. I increased them to 5 XP, and one even gets a treasure as well. I figured, it'll be fairly rare to even see the destination tile in a given game, and if you've also got some back-tracking to do, a reward of 5 XP will only let you cancel the Encounter Card you'll inevitably draw by taking the time to travel there... so a 4 XP reward didn't seem like it had any incentive.

Changed the Animal token card from Ireena's Crypt set to describe a cat instead of a raven. The token itself depicts a cat, whereas the Icon of Ravenloft shows a raven.

Tweaked the Skull token card from the Fetid Den set. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to include Murray from Monkey Island. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call on the XP. I wrestled with the same 4 or 5 question myself. I'll look over the new cards.

My goal was to get to 7-8 room event cards and a 30 card campaign deck for each Adventure System game. Everything after that is gravy. In my dreams I'd like 14 cards to cover each unique scenario in the scenario book plus the bonus web content. That way if you wanted to you could "discard" a card from the Room Event deck and have a unique room for each adventure.

But I'm happy with the variety that 8 cards offers. Since you're mixing and matching 8 cards for each room that should randomize the experience a bit each time you play. I can design 3-4 expansion room card stacks for individual games if the inspiration hits me. Right now I'm thinking about the tokens from Drizzt and Ashardalon because some people really like the idea of back tracking to rooms; or just as likely, rooting for a specific tile to come up. I think you posted the tokens to that thread so I should look them over again to see if something clicks for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.