No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Turn 1 Barbarossa attack restriction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When the rulebook says that the units belonging to a specific army group-as indicated by an N, C and S respectively- can only attack certain Russian units on turn 1, I take it this does NOT mean that they cannot move up to another Russian unit that they do however NOT attack?

If so, how about a situation on the Russian player turn (turn 1) who then attacks such a German unit of which the result is a CA. Would the German unit be allowed to make the counter-attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say yes, you may counter attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Almecho wrote:

Since the rules consistently distinguish between voluntary and involuntary attacks (which a CA might or might not be- since you can choose not to do it-...)there is something to say for that. On the other hand, it is also a kind of attack and it occurs on turn 1 which is not allowed by the rules.

Perhaps the intention of the rule was that units may not move adjacent to Russian units they were not assigned to attack, but that's not what the rules say (and I hope that is not what was intended, for what it's worth). Anyway, the only one who can answer this question beyond a doubt is Carl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Since the rules consistently distinguish between voluntary and involuntary attacks (which a CA might or might not be- since you can choose not to do it-...) there is something to say for that. On the other hand, it is also a kind of attack and it occurs on turn 1 which is not allowed by the rules.

Since a CA can only be the result of an attack (and attacks are restricted for the Axis during turn 1) and only the original attacking- and defending units are involved in such a CA, this question is purely theoretical imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
boersma8 wrote:
Since the rules consistently distinguish between voluntary and involuntary attacks (which a CA might or might not be- since you can choose not to do it-...) there is something to say for that. On the other hand, it is also a kind of attack and it occurs on turn 1 which is not allowed by the rules.

Since a CA can only be the result of an attack (and attacks are restricted for the Axis during turn 1) and only the original attacking- and defending units are involved in such a CA, this question is purely theoretical imho.

Good point!

The movement question does seem to be a valid one to me, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carl, can you shine your light on this one, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Almecho wrote:

Since the rules consistently distinguish between voluntary and involuntary attacks (which a CA might or might not be- since you can choose not to do it-...)there is something to say for that. On the other hand, it is also a kind of attack and it occurs on turn 1 which is not allowed by the rules.

Perhaps the intention of the rule was that units may not move adjacent to Russian units they were not assigned to attack, but that's not what the rules say (and I hope that is not what was intended, for what it's worth). Anyway, the only one who can answer this question beyond a doubt is Carl...

Right. YES you may counter-attack, and thus move adjacent to those Russian units you were not assigned to attack.

The restriction in the rules applies only to "normal" player-turn attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
Jan van der Laan wrote:
boersma8 wrote:

Good point!

The movement question does seem to be a valid one to me, though!

On second thoughts: German unit moves adjacent to a Russian unit (to encircle it). The Russian unit on his player turn then attacks the German unit in an attempted break-out. Unfortunately for the encircled Russian unit, the result of the die roll is a CA. According to Carl's answer the German may then indeed counter-attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
On second thoughts: German unit moves adjacent to a Russian unit (to encircle it). The Russian unit on his player turn then attacks the German unit in an attempted break-out. Unfortunately for the encircled Russian unit, the result of the die roll is a CA. According to Carl's answer the German may then indeed counter-attack.

Clear enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.