Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm not sure these qualify as variants, as much as "ways to handle having 8 people." Neither really significantly changes gameplay at all. (1) is the obvious thing to do with 8 (if you have enough Treasure and Victory cards), (2) is the obvious thing to do with 8 if you don't mind partnerships and don't have enough Treasure and Victory cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Renaissance Man wrote:
Honestly, I'm not sure these qualify as variants, as much as "ways to handle having 8 people." Neither really significantly changes gameplay at all. (1) is the obvious thing to do with 8 (if you have enough Treasure and Victory cards), (2) is the obvious thing to do with 8 if you don't mind partnerships and don't have enough Treasure and Victory cards.

How does No2 not change the game play significantly?

It's more than just playing pairs and totaling your score. One player plays action cards from his hand and the other player buys with treasure from their hand then both discard. They then either share a single deck or can have separate decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much better variant for 8 players:

Get a different game out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be more impressed by a game where you and your partner use the same deck but alternate turns. Turns in Dominion go quickly around the table and everyone stays active enough. I'd recommend implementing a rule that the players may discuss strategy with their partners before the game begins (after previewing the kingdom) and from that point on, all information is public. That should keep people from wasting time to collude, whisper plans, walk into a private room, write notes, etc. In this manner, you need to trust your partner to not over-buy some certain card or else "deal" with it. It might be interesting to sync each other's play-style and the team that works the best toward one goal should generally win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.