• [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Obviously there are all different, but unless you really want another worker placement game, I don't consider any of these as 'must haves'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I thought so too

maybe vanuatu could be an alternative to the usual worker placement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age has the whole gambling aspect with the dice.

If find that makes it sufficiently different from Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No honestly unless you love the art in Stone Age or want to try it with the expansion the best move is to ditch Stone Age in favor of Waterdeep. However I've noticed that I don't always appreciate the higher level of tension that Waterdeep creates versus Stone Age. This higher excitement level of "you never know what is going to happen" good or bad has actually negatively affected our rating of Lords of Waterdeep.

Overall though LoW is the better game. My wife proclaims Stone Age too easy, kind of dull because it is too easy, like making decisions on autopilot etc... I still like Stone Age more than she does but want to try it with the expansion. I absolutely adore the art in Stone Age. It helps.

Village is a no go for us because we really don't want to look at the burial plot and think about people dying. Believe it or not that really isn't in line with what we enjoy thinking about when we are playing a game and sort of ruins the mood. We don't like dark or even more realistic content in our games.

What about Ninjato and Walnut Grove? Those are also worker placement aren't they? I'm going to end up keeping LoW and Stone Age if they don't get beat but beyond keeping Agricola for a meaty game some of these worker placement games are going to get traded or sold. You don't need 6+ wp's.

Both my wife and I have LoW rated much higher than Stone Age in our separate lists where we pit all of the games we've played against each other. 11 slots higher for LoW in her list. 8 slots higher in mine. The higher weight + more choices and interactions is nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I do not want too many worker placement, I love agricola and Le Havre, and stone age for light games. I thought the games in topic could be quite different, but basically they are always the usual mechanical

I repeat, perhaps Vanuatu could be a novelty in the WP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just bought the Manhattan Project. I may barely ever get to play it due to the fact that it's got very little luck and more abstract choices than Stone Age (abstract as in your choices drive other choices, not thematically), meaning I need real gamers to play it with (of which there are precious and few in my world). Still, if your wifey finds Stone Age too easy (and you're a lucky man to have such a wife), look at Manhattan project

Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has a great review on the game:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/13756/the-manhattan-project/d...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carmine sansalone
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
manhattan project is bugged, playing badly in 5 and there are unnecessary actions (at least that I've read), and the thematic does not attract me.

I think maybe Lords of Waterdeep might feel differently, I worry about the text of the cards because my group does not understand much English

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I just bought the Manhattan Project. I may barely ever get to play it due to the fact that it's got very little luck and more abstract choices than Stone Age (abstract as in your choices drive other choices, not thematically), meaning I need real gamers to play it with (of which there are precious and few in my world). Still, if your wifey finds Stone Age too easy (and you're a lucky man to have such a wife), look at Manhattan project

Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has a great review on the game:
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/13756/the-manhattan-project/d...

Um...serious gamer here...yo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good games, but I don't think you really need them if you have Stone Age. Lords of Waterdeep isn't deeper or meatier than Stone Age, in fact, I think it's lighter and allows you less strategic options.
The time mechanic in Village is something new and fun, but somehow, the game didn't really click with me. However, it's probably a bit deeper than the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
One play of LoW and I saw no reason to stay. Back to the Love Hut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a fondness for Ad&d. And want a med to light worker that does not have dice luck. Then you will be another Lords of Waterdeep fan.

Nothing like a game of stone age where I hardly rolled above a 3. And rolled Yahtzee with ones twice to sucked the fun out of stone age. All the tools in the game couldn't help.

Otherwise play someone else's copy of Lords of Waterdeep. Somebody near you will buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NovaPrimeGA wrote:
carmines wrote:
whistle

Take a look at The Manhattan Project, there is a lot of nice player interaction in it. Lords of Waterdeep lost its lustre for me after about 5 plays. It's still not a bad, light game to start off a game night, but it just isn't that interesting. No one is going to sell me on the idea that cubes=people/adventurers. Just can't suspend my disbelief enough.

Try Lords of Waterdeep again at an SCA event. That way when you get two fighters, two midevil reinactors will come and stand beside you.

I agree there should have been little minks the size of the imps in dungeon lords instead of cubes. But I have white cubes that are sheep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
carmines wrote:
manhattan project is bugged, playing badly in 5 and there are unnecessary actions (at least that I've read), and the thematic does not attract me.

Fair enough. The theme is a big draw for me (I like the feeling of "building something" more than the idea of nukes) and this game delivers on that. If it does nothing for you, I could see trying to play it as a dry Euro to be tolerable at best.

clockwerk76 wrote:

Um...serious gamer here...yo...

Dude, I'm always looking for new folks to game with! But as your location is "Canada", well, I'd rather drive to Buffalo than Vancouver if you catch my drift. Send me a geekmail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is a more complex game than LoW, so it depends on what you're into. If you like the lighter aspect of gaming, I'd definitely at least get Lords of Waterdeep, although I wouldn't say to ditch Stone Age. If you prefer more strategic game play and a game that is going to play out with different strategies each game, then I would stay away from LoW, because for the most part, it is definitely not that, especially when comapred to Stone Age.

I would take a look at Hawaii

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bchlax944 wrote:

Can you explain more about this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
bchlax944 wrote:

Can you explain more about this game?

I would suggest watching a video review on it, but it's a worker placement (that frankly, I'm surprised hasn't completely replaced Stone Age in everyones collection) with more strategy involved and long term planning than Stone Age, but also plays quickly and really well with 2 (not to suggest that Stone Age doesn't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks. What I did not enjoy about Stone Age is that it seems to be 1(and a half) dimensional and very light strategy: Get resources for buildings or Civ cards. A bit more strategy is thrown in with the hunting grounds, love hut, farm, and toolmaker. Also, the one 4 player game I ever played took a very long time because none of the players really understood until the game ended the importance of buying buildings/civ cards. Barely any Civ cards were bought so the game dragged on for over 2 hours.

I'll look at Hawaii. I own TMP, as mentioned, and that looks like everything I could want in a WP game, but something lighter for the less hardcore would be welcome. Especially if I enjoy it AND I manage to get rid of Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Thanks. What I did not enjoy about Stone Age is that it seems to be 1(and a half) dimensional and very light strategy: Get resources for buildings or Civ cards. A bit more strategy is thrown in with the hunting grounds, love hut, farm, and toolmaker. Also, the one 4 player game I ever played took a very long time because none of the players really understood until the game ended the importance of buying buildings/civ cards. Barely any Civ cards were bought so the game dragged on for over 2 hours.

I'll look at Hawaii. I own TMP, as mentioned, and that looks like everything I could want in a WP game, but something lighter for the less hardcore would be welcome. Especially if I enjoy it AND I manage to get rid of Stone Age

Well simply for WP, take a look at Vinhos and Shipyard as well. Two really solid games. possibly Navegador, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If we are talking about heavier worker placement in general, the granddaddy Caylus is still the best for me. Multiple strategies, no randomness apart from the position of the six starting buildings, and actually not THAT heavy to grasp.

Hawaii is an ok game that just took a little too long and offered a bit too little new for me. It's worth checking out, but I'd say there are better similar games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.