Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deranged laugh hahahahar! I had 10 mins to kill I thought I check my Deck vs Return to Mirkwood, why are the best games when you least expect them!

now I missed judged the Carrock and there was back lash that I should not have thought carrock hard to start with however I’m certain Return to Mirkwood has a hard reputation up there with Dol Gur,

I’d the previous night been playing Return to Mirkwood and was about to give up on it as hopeless with 1 hand 3 heros, or change to tactics hero’s for some muscle.

The adventure has such evil cards which eat up your deck discard the top 10 cards! Some quite hard high hit point monsters and the evil sniper! And the very cursed East blight location, Also any undefended damage goes to Gollum if he dies you lose, and finally well some high monsters which always engage Gollum no matter what your threat, its just nasty, not to say need 12 quest quest and then not being able to play cards!

I kept the same basic premise of my deck from my previous sessions this week, spirit and lore, but as my previous few failures I decided to take out the high cost allies for the low cost ones and basically try to get an ally out each turn and always leave 1 for the monsters to eat! I also added a song of tactics and added the 1 cost tactics allies for 3 attack and 3 defence or some such s the knew the final adenture card was a potential battle,

My Heros : Theodred Frodo and Denathor

The hard choice was when use Denathor to scout especial with no sacrificial allies or quest allies

The 1st time I used him was a Wasted provisions, e.g lose 10 card. I though id take this hit as better the devil you know and it gave me an uninterrupted shot at questing little did I know I was latter be hit by the other 2 wasted provisons which meant I lost 30 of my 50 cards! Also the final stage 7 quest points prevents you from playing cards from your hard! I figured I probably not see the last 10 card of my deck any how so 10 from the 10 or 10 from the bottom no big deal :-p

2nd turn was the goblin sniper an easy kill alone , the brake allowed me to get out riddersmarks finest and a riven dell minstrel to hunt for a tactic song,

My start had was pretty weak, I’m not really one for redrawing I make do with what have and persevere, 2 power of the earth, 2 sneak attacks, 1 greeting 1 ridders mark , 1 song of wisdom, seems rather utility based! And the sneaks might come in useful, How ever I never used them!

I decided I like the Sniper and I had a few extra quest points from the ally so I used Shadows of the past to return him to the top of the deck, and killed him again

The next few turns I just had a few low locations great forest web, dry water course , I didn’t sacrifice my horses just yet, next came a King spider

A harder kill and I let him hit Gollum for the 1st time, the shadow cards had been good Some high level critters went past with out events..

By now I had picked up fast hitch for Frodo and unexpected courage for Denator

Unfortunately no soon had denator the Courage then he was webbed I scouted it be decided the Courage was enough of a counter for It, that brought on Surging Wolf rider , for which I had to sacrifice my horse but placed on them valiant strike and born aloft the wolfs brought with them just some simple terrain I need denator now to defend and I though I might meet my comeuppance as another surging bad guy Bats turned up taking with it another 10 of my cards!

Still I counted my self lucky low hit point low armoured monsters!

Theodred had to stop questing to take out a few of the monsters we encounter on the way along with the fast hitching frodo, I really missed my resource generation cards but stuck with it my allies where all lower cost now any how!

I’m slightly confused to the order of questing but I managed to keep my plan if I scout no enemy every one would quest this got me to the eleven halls eventually

I managed to get out a snow born scout before the final stage of the Elvin halls not that my had had changed much from the 1st draw sneak attacks ready for the Gandalfs which never came!

The last few turns where just a push, I had the bats left over I always kept denathro to block and quested Blind! I was lucky it was just Locations and another tantrum another 10 cards! Gone I drew my final hero deck card an useless tactics song!

The last Quest card make all enemies in the staging area attack! Its only a 3 quest location I had the bat and just prayed I would not draw another critter!

I did a full on quest apart from my 2 ridders mark horses who where there to take on the bat, I managed it the final card was another simple location I beat this high difficulty encounter ! by the seat of my pants boy did it fell good!

Odd thing about that last game I think I played 10 cards in total! 4 allies 3 attachments, 2 events! My end threat was about 33!

Summary:

I’ve now been though the Mirkwood cycle solo with just3 heros mostly using lore and spirit and to wards the end a sprinkle of leader ship and tactics

I did modify my deck for each quest and played each quest several times but moved on once beaten! And I have to say it was a really enjoyable challenge! And I look forward to going back to them and also trying them with different decks perhaps more leader ship and tactics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to end up using lore and spirit for most things. Especially spirit. And not just because of you-know-who. I assume that means I need to take the blinkers off a bit, but you seem to always want to have treachery and shadow management, threat management is somewhere between ever so useful and absolutely necessary, and there are other nice cards in there. No other sphere seems to be anything like as useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hoping a tactics will be harder but more fun on the what i now know are the easier quests? but i think i'll find it hard to move from spirit and lore will need a forced detox program,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.