United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Wow. Just wow. I could definitely see something like this happening in the US soon.

Why?

Quote:
Political correctness run amok? Or just a sign of the times? Or both?

Sounds like one person making an accusation. The case looks to have been handled badly at first, but the article only presented one person's view of why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem this is the view of one child care worker. I am concearned that this may provide ammunition for the far right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Quote:
Why?

Two words: Trayvon Martin.

Pretty soon police and authorities are going to react, not in the interest of law and justice, but in the interest of covering their asses from the media, activists, politicians and the public.

Now in the Zimmerman/Martin case it is a little reversed. The police were called racist for not arresting Zimmerman. Here the police were afraid of being called racist if they did arrest the Asian gang members. next time a white-on-black shooting occurs the police will over-react to protect themselves from bad publicity.

If the over-reaction is arresting someone who shoots an unarmed person I don't see much of a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so sad that this can happen and the story becomes about 'political correctness'.

Sexual crimes always take significant detective work - in this case they had to locate and protect 50 victims and talk to their parents/carers. It's a really complicated case with lots of suspects, associates, premises and victims - not to mention the ages of the victims and their complicated relationships with their abusers. It was always going to take time.

I would say after an inevitably perceived slow start the police did a great job - we don't know what was going on behind the scenes.

The accusation of failing to investigate due to 'political correctness' and fear of been perceived of racism is decidedly odd. Failing to offer justice to society based on the ethnicity of the accused is racist.

Further, racism is a consistent problem in the police force and arrests of certain demographics within some ethnic minority communities remain very 'robust' - our police don't have a problem with searching, arresting and charging people of any ethnicity. In sort I simply don't believe this claim - and think it detracts from the real issues.

As always it's interesting to see it's the Torygraph publishing yet another 'political correctness gone mad' article - carefully reinforcing their readerships views while marginalising the victims and failing, as they have a track record of doing, to adequately reflect on the abuse of women by men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.