J
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey all,

My group has spent the last 3 weeks playing Lords of Waterdeep, Manhattan Project and Belfort. But it seems like everybody kind of sits in their own world working out their strategies. The only thing that messes them up, is when someone takes one of their spaces. I want some chaos! Here is what I have like so far.

The mandatory quests help out in LOW. But I dont feel that there are enough of them. The intrigue cards are very good, but I think need some power.

In Manhattan project the bombers and fighter are ok, but I need to get rid of the workers. The espionage is pretty cool.

So please help me out. Is there any worker placement game out there where I dont just have to sit and wait for my next turn?

Thanks
BigMacTruck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species I think this game would do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris lake
United States
Hewitt
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent played it, but possibly Alba Longa might fit your criteria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
There are few worker placement games more vindictive than Caylus. You are still "sitting there waiting for your next turn", but you're not playing Caylus unless you are truly screwing over every other player in the game.

Troyes also has a neat mechanic where you can force your opponent's workers out of a particular section of the town, which will reduce or eliminate their ability to get that color of dice during the following turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Carson City - your workers are cowboys and opposing ones placed on the same space have to duel each other, so you may have to make sure you have enough guns to defend what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I have carson city and have dominant species on the way. I will have to check out Alba Longa.

Last night we played Belfort and my buddy built such a huge workforce, there was no way to touch him. I really wanted a fireball to come and take out his elves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
Troyes also has a neat mechanic where you can force your opponent's workers out of a particular section of the town, which will reduce or eliminate their ability to get that color of dice during the following turn.

This is a good suggestion. Troyes is a pseudo"dice-placement" game where opponents can buy your dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Vanuatu where you can deny an opponent a worker just by placing yours on the spot - nice area majority fight on worker spots - only the one who has the most workers gets to use the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Carson City
+1 Vanuatu
+1 Dominant Species

I own all three and I do enjoy them more than regular worker placement due to the fact that you can interfere with someone.

Carson City is my favorite of these three due to the ability to really mess with someone if they start pulling away. Got a property making too much money? Well I'll rob it. What you want that third bank? Let's have a shoot out for it. Overall always a good time. The only problem I have with it is how tough the fight for the victory point spots are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend, I would suggest Chaos in the Old World. Very little down time as you are always messing with someone or they are with you. Great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires can definitely have some screwage. While you don't take away people's workers, there is some area majority in the taking of actions, and warfare actions where you mess with people's placement for scoring. There are definitely some major chances to mess with other people's engines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Fircrest
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Tribune: Primus Inter Pares or Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom dietl
Germany
regensburg
bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster, I haven't played yet, could also fit:
worker placement + area control and a bit of 'war'...I need more input on that game...

A different cut-throat worker placement I really like is Eketorp!

edit: ..but if you are looking for straight interaction, why not changing the genre, something like Friedrich, Wallenstein (first edition) or Warrior Knights..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game that came to my mind is Lancaster. In that game, you have workers (knights, actually) of different strengths, and you can use stronger knights to displace weaker knights, forcing them to place somewhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom dietl
Germany
regensburg
bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..if you want to stretch the terms 'worker' and 'placement' even a bit further, I'd say 1812: The Invasion of Canada (you place your troops back into play) for now and of course Tammany Hall on Kickstarter, but you'll have to wait until November ;-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game that came to my mind was GMT's Conquest of Paradise. It's got lots of randomness and the potential for attacking other players islands. I played a three-player game a few weeks ago and it got wild and wooly at the end. Note the last paragraph below from the description by the game's developer:

Conquest of Paradise is a game of empire building in the "Polynesian Triangle" of the central Pacific Ocean for two, three, or four players. Players explore the unknown ocean around them, hoping to discover the most lucrative island groups, and colonize them. They build canoes and train warriors to create a force to defend their empire, while forging lines of communication with their developing discoveries. Resources are scarce; using them wisely is a key to victory. Investing in exploration widens your empire. Building warriors strengthens your empire. Investing resources into cultural innovations can yield unexpected dividends, like tattooing, hula dancing, surfing, or even the giant moai statues of Easter Island fame.

Conquest of Paradise is a well-tested, fast-playing design geared to appeal to players who enjoy games like New World, Civilization, and Conquistador. You can learn the game in 10-15 minutes and finish a complete game in 60-90 minutes.

Conquest of Paradise is a game of exploration and empire building, but also (as you'd expect from a GMT game) CONFLICT. Choosing when to build those expensive warriors, and when and where to fight, given limited resources, is key to your success.

Conquest of Paradise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xeonrf wrote:
Dominant Species I think this game would do it.

This is EXACTLY what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigMacTruck wrote:
Ok, I have carson city and have dominant species on the way. I will have to check out Alba Longa.

Last night we played Belfort and my buddy built such a huge workforce, there was no way to touch him. I really wanted a fireball to come and take out his elves.

If you have Dominant Species on the way then your problem is already solved. Seriously. It's a direct conflict driven worker placement game with some of the most sadistic ways to screw over your opponents you have ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Carson City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.