Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
(I've looked through the rules posts - none tackle this in their title.)

So we had this situation:

The reactor was about to explode - the room was on fire and we had no way of putting out the fire. One player drank some grog and bravely cooled the reactor.

Is this a legal move and what is the result?

i) The gnome dies a hero's death (thematically this was our preference.)

ii) You can't end a turn in a room with fire unless you are unconscious. So you are given a supplemental (1m) move to leave the room.

iii) No it's not a legal move. You have to put out the fire or move past it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it is not a legal move. See the rulebook:
Red November Revised Rules, page 6 wrote:
If a gnome is in a room that is on fire, the only action he can attempt is Extinguish Fire.

The Grog allows the Gnome to enter a room that is on fire, but he still cannot do anything else than try to extinguish the fire or move on. (Well, sometimes he may be able to extinguish the fire by opening a hatch to a room with high water - after that, he could attempt to fix a problem.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah perfect - Thank you.

In our game it made little difference anyway

PS: I might keep it as a variant - weighing up the reward for such an action in a group setting is quite interesting. 'Oh hell I'll do it then'. This said the conditions are quite specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Opening a hatch and moving into another room are part of the movement phase, so don't break the "only action" rule, as far as I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
PS: I might keep it as a variant - weighing up the reward for such an action in a group setting is quite interesting. 'Oh hell I'll do it then'. This said the conditions are quite specific.

If you check the designer's FAQ:
http://www.faidutti.com/index.php?Module=mesjeux&id=566&fich...

He suggests this as a rule. He acknowledges that it is not technically in line with the rules. However, like you, he wants players to be able to sacrifice themselves for their comrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From that page:
Bruno Faidutti wrote:
Q : Can a gnome use a grog or fire extinguisher to enter a room on fire and there make an action other than extinguishing the fire, such as stopping the missile countdown or fixing the engine?
A : Yes, he can, but this means the heroic gnome will die in the fire immediately after his action succeeded - or failed. That's not exactly what the rules state, but we think such a heroic death is true to the game's logic, so it must be legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
From that page:
Bruno Faidutti wrote:
Q : Can a gnome use a grog or fire extinguisher to enter a room on fire and there make an action other than extinguishing the fire, such as stopping the missile countdown or fixing the engine?
A : Yes, he can, but this means the heroic gnome will die in the fire immediately after his action succeeded - or failed. That's not exactly what the rules state, but we think such a heroic death is true to the game's logic, so it must be legal.

"Do not grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh..."

"... The needs of the few."

"Or the one."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.