Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently put in my first special order at Game Empire in Pasadena and I am astounded!

I had been looking all over for a copy of a game and finally had Game Empire order it for me. I got a call the very next day saying my game had come in. I got there that same night just as they were closing and picked it up. They even unlocked the door for me and let me in.

Just a little over 24 hours from the time that I ordered, and I had the game in hand. Amazing!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
What game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ares Project. I checked Game Empire, Brookhurst Hobbies, Geeks, Game Ogre, War House... nobody had it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those guys are pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schild

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are you even talking about? It's available in stock at *all* the usual places. Is this a shill post?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/zmg7063.html
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php?viewType=view...
http://www.trollandtoad.com/p310111.html?associateid=44_22
http://www.boardsandbits.com/product_info.php?products_id=23...
http://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=025031&ut...
http://shop.sci-fi-city.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those places are all too far away to drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
schild

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Point being, it's a readily available game they can get from a distributor likely within 100 miles with as little as a phone call. Whoever you had ordered it from - as long as they order through Alliance, or Southern Hobby, or even Hamp's - you likely would've had it within 48 hours.

I'm not in CA, but there's absolutely nothing special going on here at all. Try asking them for say, Letters from Whitechapel or something. Producing that at MSRP in 24 hours would be impressive. The Ares Project is Not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry you're jaded and not easily impressed. But my experiences in ordering have been very different. Usually a shop takes 3-4 days to get in a product, if it comes along with their usual order, and up to a week if it doesn't. Not that I special order stuff a lot.

I've always taken the stance that I could just order stuff myself online. But then it takes well over a week to ship to me.

To order something and have it in my hands the next day is a miracle of modern logistics. Especially if I'm not paying any "expedited" shipping fees or even so much as paying in advance for the product.

I got good service special ordering from a store. I'm surprised. If this is the standard rather than the norm, than I'm surprised again, and I'll probably be special ordering a lot more for now on.

Quite frankly. this is the first time I've ever felt extremely satisfied with an in-store purchase. I got an excellent game, specially ordered for me, a phone call informing me that it came, they even opened the store for me, and all this to get me my game as soon as possible when they really didn't have to. That's great service. What more does a store need to do to impress you?

I'm sorry I wasted your time by talking about my retailer experience in this Discussing Retailers forum. I guess I'm only supposed to post up complaints. But I figured there were other people out there, like me, who were cynical about the special order process and I wanted to share that it is worth doing, and that my local game shop is doing it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schild wrote:
Point being, it's a readily available game they can get from a distributor likely within 100 miles with as little as a phone call. Whoever you had ordered it from - as long as they order through Alliance, or Southern Hobby, or even Hamp's - you likely would've had it within 48 hours.

I'm not in CA, but there's absolutely nothing special going on here at all. Try asking them for say, Letters from Whitechapel or something. Producing that at MSRP in 24 hours would be impressive. The Ares Project is Not.

Hmmm, what will I do today? I got it, I'll rain on someones parade. Yeah, that's a good plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I recently put in my first special order at Game Empire in Pasadena and I am astounded!

I had been looking all over for a copy of a game and finally had Game Empire order it for me. I got a call the very next day saying my game had come in. I got there that same night just as they were closing and picked it up. They even unlocked the door for me and let me in.

Just a little over 24 hours from the time that I ordered, and I had the game in hand. Amazing!!

Chuck is Good People. Glad he was able to come through for you so rapidly, and here's hoping your new game gets played soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great store with excellent service. No harm in acknowledging that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronald fraigun
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was happy with the purchases I made at this store. Just wished they would offer more trade value for games that I had brought in. Needless to say I spent about $100 in the store, and went home with all my trade games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.