David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb

Click here to withdraw to the first day of battle.

Turn 19: October 17, Morning (Allied South morale 0, Allied North morale 7, French morale 6

(random event = “Confusion and Uncertainty”. No effect as not using Fog of War)
Tscha, Duct and 2Lt all arrive (and immediately stop moving, due to the fact the Southern Front is still in General Retreat!) near Naunhof. IVc moves north-west of IIIc, with XI moving into Mockern.

VIII (is forced to) attack both III and IV, somehow managing to remain engaged against them both. Next, Pr I (is also forced to) attack IX, II, V and YG – V and II also have Artillery support - , also somehow managing to remain engaged! As a result, the French forces panic and blow the Leipzig bridge, stranding both XI and LO over the river from the bulk of their forces!

(random event = “Form Square!” One Infantry unit may form square – neutralising Cavalry’s normal doubling bonus – during Allied reaction phase)
Cadre moves east of Pr I as GC moves south of Eutrizsch, with IIc moving into that location.

III and IV combine to attack VIII (in Wiederitzsch), again only remaining engaged against them. Next, Cadre, YG, V, II and IX all combine to attack Pr I (in the outskirts of Leipzig), finally breaking them outright (-1 Allied North morale, +1 French morale), with cadre advancing after combat.

situation at end of turn 19 - Allied Southern front still in General Retreat

Turn 20: October 17, Mid-day (Allied South morale 4, Allied North morale 6, French morale 7

(random event = “Thunderstorms” During this and opponents next turn, all units -1 MA, Infantry -1 combat str and no unit may enter marsh hexes)
With the Allied Southern front General Retreat finally ending, 1Lt moves into Naunhof, Tscha moves south of the same and Duct moves onto the road leading to Naunhof. IV then moves along the road out of Seifertshain (towards Stotteritz) while Ru I, Pirch, III, II and Ic all move north. Ru IIc moves along the road towards Crobern as does Au I, with Cuir also moving onto that road. Res Art then moves north onto the same road, with Au II crossing the bridge to their north-east and with G+R moving towards Zwenkau. Au 1Lt and III then both move towards Lindenau. IVc then moves west of III, and the Allied player decides that’s it for movement.

VIII attacks IV, forcing IV to withdraw but opting not to advance after combat. IVc then attacks III (over the river), but are broken outright (-1 Allied north morale, +1 French morale)

(random event = “Imperial Indecision” May not spend morale points this turn (rem. Thunderstorms also still in effect)
IV moves back to attack VIII, with both GC and II moving to attack IIIc outside Gohlis. V, YG and res Art all move along the road towards Stotteritz, with IX and cadre both moving into Leipzig proper. Ic then moves back into Meusdorf, with IVc moving west of the same. XI then moves along road to attack Au 1Lt and, finally, VII arrives, moving down into Taucha.

Au 1Lt disengages from XI.

III and IV combine to attack VIII (still in Wiederitzsch), finally forcing VIII to withdraw. This is a hazardous retreat, which VIII fails and so breaks instead (-1 Allied North morale, +1 French morale), with IV advancing after combat. II and GC then combine to attack Ru IIIc (outside Gohlis), only remaining engaged against them.

situation at end of turn 20

Turn 21: October 17, Afternoon (Allied South morale 4, Allied North morale 4, French morale 9

(random event = “Proud banners” Allied player decides to attempt to rally Russian units. L remains broken, while IVc is eliminated for good, as is VIII)
Bernadotte’s Army of the North arrives (+1 Allied North morale), all moving down the road past Plaussig. Both Au 1Lt and III then move to engage XI (outside Lindenau), with G+R moving along the road towards Prodel, Russian Res Art moving to attack Vc (over the bridge outside Crobern), IIc crossing the Gosel river, Ru III moving outside Wachau, with II moving up in support and Pirch moving north of II. I then moves towards Meusdorf along the road through Lieberywolkwitz, with Au IV moving into that named location. Next, Ru Ic crosses the river into Magdeborn and moves slightly north. Au 2Lt and Duct then move along the road towards Fuchshain through Naunhof, with Tscha moving onto and along the road past Grossposna.

Vc withdraws back into Markkleeberg

Au III and 1Lt combine to attack XI, but both attackers are forced to withdraw. Ru IIIc is then forced to attack both GC and II, but are broken outright (-1 Allied North morale, +1 French morale), with GC advancing after combat.

(random event = “Vive l’Empereur!” Amy spend 1 morale point without paying the cost)
The French player decides to use that morale point to allow his army to force march: V moving east of Probstheida, YG into that location, Res Art into Stotteritz, Ic, IVc and Vc all to engage Ru II (surrounding it with ZoC – also very dangerous for Vc who is now also adjacent to both Pirch and Au IV), XI to attack Au III, II to attack Ru XI (in Mockern). IIc then moves to Mockau, with III moving into Eutrizsch.

GC and II combine to attack XI (in Mockern), forcing XI to withdraw with GC then advancing after combat. XI attacks Au III, routing III 3 hexes (-1 Allied South morale) and advancing after combat. Ic and IVc combine to attack Ru I (outside Liebertwolkwitz), forcing I to withdraw: a hazardous retreat which they fails and so break instead (-1 Allied South morale, +0 French morale (as already at max)), with Ic then advancing after combat. Finally, Vc (is forced to) attack both Au IV and Pirch: not surprisingly, being routed but (luckily) only 2 hexes back into Meusdorf, with Pirch advancing after combat.

situation at end of turn 21

Turn 22: October 17, Dusk (Allied South morale 2, Allied North morale 4, French morale 10

(random event = “Vorwarts!” All Prussian units get +1 str this turn)
Czern moves into Seehausen, with Pr III, Ru XII and Swe all moving down the road past Plaussig. The routed Au III moves into Knauthain, with Au 1Lt then moving towards Schonau and G+R moving through Prodel. Russian Res Art then moves to attack the cadre in Dolitz, with Ru II and IIc moving south of Meusdorf and Ru III moving into Crobern. Ru Ic then moves east of Liebertwolkwitz, Tscha moves along the road past Grossposna, Au 2Lt and Duct then move towards (and through) Seifertshain and (finally) Au II, Cuir and I all move towards Crobern.

GC counter charges Ru XI, routing XI 2 hexes and advancing after combat. Ic counter charges Au IV (in Liebertwolkwitz), also routing IV 4 hexes (-1 Allied South morale) and being forced to advance after combat. Finally, Vc counter charges Ru II (outside Wachau), forcing II to withdraw and also advancing after combat.

Ic and Pirch combine to attack Ic (in Leibertwolkwitz), only remaining engaged. IIc and II then combine to attack Vc, routing Vc 2 hexes. The first of these is a hazardous retreat, which Vc passes and moves through Meusdorf, with IIc then advancing after combat. Finally, Res Art attacks cadre, who commit reserves (-1 French morale), but are still forced to withdraw: a result which they may ignore due to fortified terrain.

(random event = “Even the simplest things are difficult” No effect as not using Fog of War)
II and GC both move to engage Ru XI, with IIc moving towards Leipzig and VII towards Plausig. IX then moves towards Stotteritz, XI to engage Au 1Lt, IVc to engage Ru Ic, V along the road past Zuckelhausen, YG to engage Pirch and Res Art into Meusdorf to engage Ru IIc. Finally, OG then moves to engage Ru Res Art (for free, since Allied South morale at 1).

Au 1Lt then withdraws into Schonau as Ru IIc withdraws from Res Art.

II and GC combine to attack Ru XI, forcing XI to withdraw, with GC then again advancing after combat. Ic and IVc then combine to attack Ru Ic, with both attackers forced to withdraw. In the case of Ic, this is a hazardous retreat, which they fail and so break instead (-1 French morale, +1 Allied South morale), with Ic advancing after combat into Liebertwolkwitz. YG attacks Pirch, but are also forced to withdraw, with Pirch opting to advance after combat. Finally, Cadre and OG combine to attach Ru Res Art, routing Res Art 6(1) hexes (-1 Allied South morale), with OG opting not to advance after combat.

situation at end of turn 22

Turn 23: October 17, Evening (Allied South morale 1, Allied North morale 4, French morale 8

(random event = “Watch … and wait” Cards reshuffled)
Duct and Au 2Lt both move to engage V as Tscha moves to engage IV and as Au IV moves along the road towards Liebertwolkwitz. IIc then moves to engage Pirch, with Ru II moving to engage Res Art (in Meusdorf), Ru III moving to Wachau, G+R moving up towards Connewitz, Au II moving into Markkleeberg, Au I moving into Crobern and Cuir crossing the river to their north, then moving south of Wachau. Pr III and Czern then both move to engage III (in Eutrizsch), with XII and Swe both moving to engage VII (outside Taucha).

GC counter charges XI, routing XI 4 hexes (-1 Allied North morale) and advancing after combat. IVc counter charges Tscha, forcing Tscha to withdraw and also advancing after combat.

Swe and XII combine to attack VII, routing VII 5 hexes (-1 French morale), with the first of these being a hazardous retreat (over a river), which VII fails and so breaks instead (+1 Allied North morale). Neither Swe nor XII decide to advance after combat. Next, Czern and Pr III combine to attack III (in Eutrizsch), forcing III to withdraw, with Czern advancing after combat. Au 2 Lt and Duct combine to attack V, forcing V to withdraw into Zuckelhausen, with Duct advancing after combat. Tscha and Ru Ic combine to attack IV, also forcing IV to withdraw: a hazardous retreat, which IV passes. Tscha then advances after combat. Ru II attacks Res Art (in Meusdorf), but are themselves forced to withdraw. Finally, Pirch attacks YG, managing to remain engaged against them.

(random event = “Imperial Indecision”. May not spend morale to force march, commit reserves of commit the Guard)
OG moves to engage Pirch (for free, as Allied South on 1 morale point), with Vc moving east of Dolitz and IX heading (cross country) towards Connewitz. II heads back towards Gohlis, as does GC. IV then moves north of Czern, with IIc moving to engage Pr III 9outside Mockau).

Czern counter charges IV, forcing IV to withdraw (into Mockau) and advancing after combat. Tscha counter charges IVc, forcing IVc to withdraw and also advancing after combat.

Res Art and OG combine to attack Pirch, routing Pirch 2 hexes. The first of these is a hazardous retreat, which Pirch passes, with OG then advancing after combat. YG and IVc combine to attack Tscha, breaking Tscha outright (-1 Allied South morale, +1 French morale) and ending the game in a Decisive French victory as the Allied Southern Front is now shattered twice!

situation at end of game – IVc has advanced after combat (Allied North morale 4, Allied South morale 0, French morale 8)

Final Thoughts

While still a bit outside my comfort zone (mainly due to its sheer scope), I have to say I think I actually prefer this scenario over that of the standard game – maybe because it is closer to that comfort zone?

What I did notice in this replay was a definite feeling – for the French – of a noose encircling their army, with the two Allied fronts advancing from different directions, leading the French to attack in one direction, fall back on Leipzig, and then attack again (in this replay) in the same direction as the first time. To me, it also seemed that the Southern Front was the main source of worry for the French, with more units advancing from that direction than from the opposite. A few luck/unlucky (depending on preference!) rolls also helped the French forces to win this particular match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David, as always an amazingly enjoyable AAR to read -- thanks for posting!

Our experience during testing showed that the Allies have a good chance of winning, but they have to be very cautious about over committing. The most effective Allied strategy seemed to be to try and keep the French off balance and stall for time so you can bring in all your main reinforcement groups before drawing the noose tight.

For the French, it was kind of the opposite approach: pick an Allied army had hammer it into oblivion and hope your screening forces can hold the other Allied armies long enough for you to complete the task. Then, once (if) you're successful, reposition the main force to crush the other Allied army before the first is able to regroup and come back at you.

You're right though, the sheer size and scale of this huge battle really pushes the "Napoleonic 20" system to its limits, and I can see why you'd prefer the smaller battles (I do too, but the "Battle of Nations" just screamed out to be done).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats how I handled my FRench during testing. Hammer the Allied Southern Group into a plup then switch to Blucher and hammer him then back to crush the Souther group again.

But there were also many a game where I told Lance the poor French looked for all the world like Custer's Last Stand.the ever tighter blue circle being sqeezed by the multi color horde surrounding them.

Leipzig was a gas to play and I loved all the options for extra units maybe coming in to help(always my favorite in a game)
Lance did a great job on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
Morale over course of battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.