K S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can Scientist Assasination stop Nekro Virus from aquirering CC's through tech secondary? Don't have the racesheet here, but I think their racial is described somewhat like this: "whenever you would recieve a Technology you recieve 3 CC instead. Would Scientist Assasination prevent him from trying to aguire a tech and therefore not the 3 CC?..not sure, need more oppinions. Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kristobal wrote:
Can Scientist Assasination stop Nekro Virus from aquirering CC's through tech secondary? Don't have the racesheet here, but I think their racial is described somewhat like this: "whenever you would recieve a Technology you recieve 3 CC instead. Would Scientist Assasination prevent him from trying to aguire a tech and therefore not the 3 CC?..not sure, need more oppinions. Thx.

Off the top of my head it sounds cromulent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the card only stops the actual acquisition of techs, nothing more. He would still receive CCs from the Technology card.

However, the card WOULD prevent the player from receiving techs after battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gagner
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the wording on their race sheet says something like "whenever you would gain a tech, you instead gain 3 command counters."

This would suggest that since you cannot purchase or acquire tech, you cannot gain command counters when you are assassinated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidG55311 wrote:
I believe the wording on their race sheet says something like "whenever you would gain a tech, you instead gain 3 command counters."

This would suggest that since you cannot purchase or acquire tech, you cannot gain command counters when you are assassinated.

I disagree. The card only says you cannot gain techs, it says nothing about anything you would gain in lieu of techs.

The Nekro never actually receive the tech either way, so I do not believe the card impacts them. There are cerain cards which do not affect certain races (Saar has a few like this, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gagner
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
DavidG55311 wrote:

I disagree. The card only says you cannot gain techs, it says nothing about anything you would gain in lieu of techs.

The Nekro never actually receive the tech either way, so I do not believe the card impacts them. There are cerain cards which do not affect certain races (Saar has a few like this, too).

I believe they do actually receive the tech and that is what triggers collecting command counters.

"Any time you would receive a technology card in this way, instead gain 3 command counters."

That statement implies that you must be eligible to actually receive the technology in the first place and since your scientists have been assassinated, you can receive a technology.

There are other examples of this happening in the game, such as Xccha or Jol-nar activating diplomacy or technology through the secondary. If they do not have a command counter to activate the secondary they may not instead activate the primary.

I see it from the wording on the Nekro race sheet, not from the wording on the action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidG55311 wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
DavidG55311 wrote:

I believe they do actually receive the tech and that is what triggers collecting command counters.

They don't - if they were actually receiving techs, they would be allowed to use their tech discounts to do so. But the FAQ specifically says they cannot use their discounts that apply to specific tech colors - therefore, they are never actually receiving a tech.

IE, it's not that they receive a tech, and then immediately trade it in for CC's instead - they never receive the tech in the first place, and as such, they never violate the restrictions that the card provides.

But if you want to know for sure, and not just my opinion, you'll need to ask Corey - anything else is just conjecture and personal interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thx for you opinions guys...I'm kinda with both on you on this. In the game where it came up the majority ruled that the AC prevented NV from getting the CC's, but I felt kinda weird about the ruling after the game.
Question snt to Corey - I'll post it here when I get the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rule Question:
Can the AC Scientist Assasination stop Nekro Virus from aquirering CC's through tech secondary? Don't have the racesheet here, but I think their racial is described somewhat like this: "whenever you would recieve a Technology you recieve 3 CC instead. Would Scientist Assasination prevent him from trying to aguire a tech and therefore not the 3 CC?

Answer form Corey:

Yes, if you prevent them from acquiring technology then they cannot receive the 3 CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, so this card is a double-whammy for Nekro Virus then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.