Peter Neely
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I've managed to play this twice now and I'm really enjoying it and this has quickly become my girlfriend's favorite game. However, we have come across a few stumbling blocks that kind of grind the game to a halt while we try to figure out what to do, maybe I can get some help?

1.) If you pay 2 investigation to look at a secret, what exactly happens if the secret states "If this secret is revealed..."? When a player reads the secret, are they revealing it? Or does the revelation come at a later point in the game? I ask because in both instances that we have played ATOE, all elders have been killed off well before the showdown so I'm not sure if there is a 'later' moment. Currently we play that when one player reads the secret, that secret is revealed. Is that correct? Does it reveal the elder's alignment to other players?

2.) In the last game, we were playing against the Vampire and we had some Bats in a location. Well, I had the special item 'Charm', which allows you to re-roll once per game round a single die roll (I believe). However, the bats also have ability to carry an item off if I manage to roll a 1. So which card trumps which one? Will the bats be able to carry off my Charm (it was currently my only item) or can I use my charm item and re-roll?

3.) Confusion over items and carrying limit. For some reason, I'm consistently confused on the hand-size, carrying limits and the number of items that each player may possess. Do Events count as part of the 7 card hand? Even if they aren't items (are there items in the Event deck)? If I understand, I can have 3 items correct? My girlfriend managed to secure 3 items (musket, pistol and a dagger) to give her combat a boost, is this legit? She was also able to buy a padded jacket. She was technically still within the 3 items from the blacksmith limit, because I think the dagger was from one of the corner locations. Is that still legit?

4.) In the instance that you draw a mystery card that distributes Investigation into random or named areas on the map, exactly when can you collect the investigation? I assume at the beginning of your next turn, if you choose to linger - is that right?

Thanks for any feedback! I'm hoping to get pick up the expansion in the near future, because despite the usual grievances that I have seen about this game, it has been an immensely enjoyable experience so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a shot at these. I hope I'm correct. I've been getting a couple wrong lately over @ FanG...shakeyuklaugh

1) Depends on if playing Competitive or Co-Op. In competitive it stays hidden (unless it says REVEAL IMMEDIATELY). Then if/when your opponent(s) start a Showdown you can pay to make an Accusation, thus revealing that Elders Secret(s). (Turning them into an Evil Elder, etc, at an inopportune moment for your opponent!)

In Co-Op you have to reveal to all. If there are any Evil secrets they join the Villain immediately.

2) Not 100% sure, but I think on the Bats, you have to roll as soon as you enter the space, or at the beginning of your turn, so I think they'd have the opportunity to take off w/ your Charm before you had a chance to use it (at work, so I can't confirm. Depends on when the card can be played.)

3) Events do not count toward carry limit. Only items. 3 Town Items & 1 from each corner location.

4)In the Take Actions phase of your turn. So it would be after you roll for movement & Fight any enemies in the space. And yes, you can linger. Just make sure to still roll movement first (to see if you get A "1" & earn an Event card)

Hope that helps.
---MS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbil_filet wrote:
1.) If you pay 2 investigation to look at a secret, what exactly happens if the secret states "If this secret is revealed..."?

Moonsylver is right.

I love the game, but secrets are in my opinion the weakest part of the rules. They behave differently depending on which mode you're using, and the wording is not very precise especially pertaining to the word "reveal".

Check these threads for more information:

Comprehensive guide to Town Elder Secrets? -- This thread got a response from designer Jason Hill confirming that it's correct.

All about Revealing secrets -- Competitive, Co-op and Team games -- This is my own thread on the subject. It did not get much response, but I like the organization of it better than the above one. It's basically the same information though.

Key points: "revealing" a secret does NOT refer to showing cards to your partner in a co-op or team game. You can always show information to your teammates even if specifically instructed to not "reveal" something. What it basically means is "activating" the secret.

Also, secrets that say "Reveal immediately" do NOT have to be revealed (activated) if you're using an event to peek at them without paying, but (and this is where it gets weird), they CAN be revealed at your option.

Quote:
we had some Bats in a location. Well, I had the special item 'Charm'

Hmm, I don't think there is an official answer on that one. My instinct is to say that you can always use a reroll item. I can't think of any reason why it would suddenly stop working just because it's the target of the roll.

I agree with Moon on the other two questions. The only thing I would add is clarification that you CAN collect investigation tokens on the same turn that you put them on the board. I'm assuming you are drawing a mystery because you landed on one of the locations that tells you to draw (like Covered Bridge or Town Hall). It is your option to do the "encounter the space" action before OR after the "collect investigation" action.

If you're drawing the mystery because it's the Mystery Phase (and not during your turn), then obviously you have to wait until your next turn to collect tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.