Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now im sure by now you have all heard the rants about the issues with Empires of the Void getting to backers ...

First a little back story ...
My girlfriend calls me from home and tells me I got a package ... YEA !!! But wait ... she says " I dont think this is a board game though !?" ... "Why do you say that?" I ask. "It cant be a board game because the box is way smaller then any of the boxes you have EVER received before ..." those were her exact words ... and this is coming from a casual board gamer who has never purchased a game but has witnessed the 300 or so games that have arrived at my home. (I was surprised she noticed.

Now people are both complaing about and defending this game and thats not what this post is about. I just want to show the shipping method that was used to mail this game (and by the way anyone who hasnt heard ... it is very heavy!)

Now can anyone possibly defend this shipping method!! Three of the four front corners are dented, one corner on the back of the box as well as one corner which after I removed it from the box noticed it was completely blown out. ...
You cant tell me that Game Salute actually expected this game to arrive in the condition that most hobbie gamers like there boxes in.
Now if this was a game of monopoly maybe I could understand!!

For me, having to tape the corner of a box before I have even punched out the pieced is a deal breaker ... Now I must admit the game components look beautiful (accept for the smashed ones that is whistle) I Hope that a lesson will be learned here about following through ... to the finish with a project for future kickstarter projects. Game salute may be an inexpensive distrubution option but they have a track record ... and, when it comes to shipping products ... its not a good one!!
I really hope the game play of EMPIRES OF THE VOID will revitalize my enthusiasm that I had with the game when I first purchased it ... but its gonna take some work!!cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing this has convinced me never to use Game Salute or support a product that is using Game Salute. Unfortunately, I think Kings of Air and Steam is through GS, and I have two copies heading my way in a few months.....

Hopefully, they're not packed as ridiculously poorly as these are.

Hopefully someone steps up to help rectify these issues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was how all games this size are packaged? I guess I've been lucky--I haven't had a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you buy Z-Man games from Tanga, that is exactly how they are packed. I've gotten too many damaged Z-Man game from Tanga because of that.

That said, my box for Empires of the Void was intact, though I do have a few messed up counters like other people have posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
When you buy Z-Man games from Tanga, that is exactly how they are packed. I've gotten too many damaged Z-Man game from Tanga because of that.

That said, my box for Empires of the Void was intact, though I do have a few messed up counters like other people have posted.

Same here- two damaged counters total, and both credit/VP counters, so nowhere near enough to affect play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter McCormick
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add my data point, mine was packaged exactly as above, but was mint. I see no damage to box or internal components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
I got mine today and it has no damage. (and I am living in Austria!) So maybe your have been misfortunate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Sutton
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got mine two days ago without any damage at all. That's too bad about your copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too received my game in the exact same packing method and with no external damage. Had some damaged counters like others however, but also like others it was the VP counters. Must have been something wrong with that one sheets die cutting I'm guessing.

However, I have to say that there is NO way, absolutely ZERO way that I would ever ship out items from my company in a box like that with no packing material. That's just asking for damaged items at the receiving end along with unhappy customers. Even if the carrier is careful, stuff still gets banged around at the depot and during transit. Let alone if you have one of those really lazy and careless delivery guys that like to throw peoples items over fences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My copy arrived in the UK in a box larger than the game box and stuffed with packing foam. No dents or problems at all with it. I am quite surprised that the same treatment doesn't seem to have been used for domestic shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
New Zealand
Wellington
--------------
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
My copy arrived in the UK in a box larger than the game box and stuffed with packing foam. No dents or problems at all with it. I am quite surprised that the same treatment doesn't seem to have been used for domestic shipping.

Likewise. My copy arrived (in New Zealand) yesterday in a larger box with some foam peanuts in there too. No damage to the game box. All good.

[Admittedly, the extra race card was seemingly just sitting on top, loose, so it accidentally went into the rubbish bin when I poured the packing peanuts out - until I realised later (doh!). Got it out safe and sound though (lucky). ]

I might also just mention that the cardboard of the board sections seems quite soft, rather than hardy. For me, they punched out perfect, but just putting one in the box I slightly dented/crushed one of its corner points (and its glossy surface at that point). Not catastrophic, but some care may be prudent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap... packaging is so important. How could you think this was okay GameSalute?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy had the minimal packaging and it was fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In reply to all I don't think the point is ....did yours arrive ok ... But do you think it's ok to ship like this ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
In reply to all I don't think the point is ....did yours arrive ok ... But do you think it's ok to ship like this ???

Personally, no; despite the fact I got mine OK, I really think that GameSalute was less than exemplary in terms of packaging in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:

There is nothing morally wrong with shipping with a particular kind of packaging. It's okay if the results are okay. As far as I know, there are just a few cases of actual damage occurring to copies of the game in transit, and I would wager that those copies will be replaced by the publisher in a fairly short amount of time. If that's the case, then yes, it's okay to ship like this. If the damage was actually rather widespread, or the publisher drops the ball on replacing damaged copies, then it's not okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwentySides wrote:
If that's the case, then yes, it's okay to ship like this. If the damage was actually rather widespread, or the publisher drops the ball on replacing damaged copies, then it's not okay.

Gee, I definitely don't think it's ok to ship me stuff in a way that is likely to cause damage, even if the seller replaces it. It's still a huge hassle for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.