Eclipse» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Total Bankruptcy Risk on Last Turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you think you will probably lose anyway, on the last turn do you ever play more actions than you can afford risking total bankruptcy for a small chance of success?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the situation, but I've gone pretty all out in a 2-player game...still lost, but if I had a few fortuitous dice rolls..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did it today, felt a bit suicidal but it worked.

I was the Hydra and had researched some insane technologies (plasma missiles, +3 computers, antimatter gun, 3 movement drive, worm hole generator etc.)

My opponent was the Hegemony, he had a ridiculous amount of resources and was controlling the centre. I was defensively closed off from the centre through half wormholes but unfortunately another wormhole generator came up and with this my impenetrable defence became vulnerable to numerous small attacks from his interceptors and cruisers armed with neutron bombs.

I moved my 2 dreadnoughts into the centre and he counter attacked with interceptors and cruisers into my area. In the centre, he had 2 dreadnoughts, 1 cruiser and 6 interceptors against my 2 dreadnoughts.

My attacked areas were defended by single star bases (2 hexes) and a couple of interceptors. It was do or die so I risked total bankruptcy to upgrade my ships in the hope I'd somehow get the centre and drop ship down some money cubes.

Somehow it worked. Managed to wipe out all his ships without a single casualty and final victory point count came to 21-21. Before the last turn I was pretty sure I had lost but the bankruptcy risk really saved me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.