Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Anyone have any new R? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My eyes are starting to glaze over after reading the name Obama too many times today and the recent surge of S topics was an interesting change of pace that failed to deliver any extended discussions. Is there anything worth mentioning in R-territory lately?

I'm going to go play Minecraft for a bit, expecting a fantastic topic to be present when I return.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
The Message wrote:
My eyes are starting to glaze over after reading the name Obama too many times today and the recent surge of S topics was an interesting change of pace that failed to deliver any extended discussions. Is there anything worth mentioning in R-territory lately?

I'm going to go play Minecraft for a bit, expecting a fantastic topic to be present when I return.


Yes. We're all here solely for your benefit.



I do have a good topic on History and Science, though. When I have a spare moment, I'll start it up.

Darilian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
The Message wrote:
My eyes are starting to glaze over after reading the name Obama too many times today and the recent surge of S topics was an interesting change of pace that failed to deliver any extended discussions. Is there anything worth mentioning in R-territory lately?

I'm going to go play Minecraft for a bit, expecting a fantastic topic to be present when I return.


Yes. We're all here solely for your benefit.



I do have a good topic on History and Science, though. When I have a spare moment, I'll start it up.

Darilian


You just lost the republicans and the democrats...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
ejmowrer wrote:
Darilian wrote:
The Message wrote:
My eyes are starting to glaze over after reading the name Obama too many times today and the recent surge of S topics was an interesting change of pace that failed to deliver any extended discussions. Is there anything worth mentioning in R-territory lately?

I'm going to go play Minecraft for a bit, expecting a fantastic topic to be present when I return.


Yes. We're all here solely for your benefit.



I do have a good topic on History and Science, though. When I have a spare moment, I'll start it up.

Darilian


You just lost the republicans and the democrats...


Oh, I lost them months ago.



Darilian
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
The Message wrote:
My eyes are starting to glaze over after reading the name Obama too many times today and the recent surge of S topics was an interesting change of pace that failed to deliver any extended discussions. Is there anything worth mentioning in R-territory lately?

I'm going to go play Minecraft for a bit, expecting a fantastic topic to be present when I return.


Yes. We're all here solely for your benefit.


Well, what else is this place for?

Quote:



cry

Quote:

I do have a good topic on History and Science, though. When I have a spare moment, I'll start it up.


It's weird, because you said "good" but then followed it with "history." I'm not really sure I see how you're getting from one point to the other here, this requires elaboration.

Quote:

Darilian


"A man who loves a good fisking."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Darilian wrote:

I do have a good topic on History and Science, though. When I have a spare moment, I'll start it up.

[q="The Message"]
It's weird, because you said "good" but then followed it with "history." I'm not really sure I see how you're getting from one point to the other here, this requires elaboration.
[q]
Lets just put it this way-

I'm going to argue that History is more of a science than any of the so-called 'Social Sciences'. Perhaps the 'Imperial Science' of the Humanities.

So that's BOUND to piss off some of the people here.

Darilian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play too much in Creative mode the boredom sets in quickly, usually requiring a good Survival session to get back into the spirit of things. The problem is even worse if I bring a lot of MCEdit, InvEdit or NBTEdit into the picture, it becomes trivial to accomplish nearly anything, even things which wouldn't otherwise be possible within the game. If the sand in the box is too willing to cooperate there just doesn't appear to be as much long-term fun.

So if there were a god in Minecraft, I'd imagine that it would take the form of a player in Creative mode with instant access to all game-breaking outside programs, which means if that god were anything like me in terms of enjoying the activity they would be supremely bored by now. However, if they did have access to something like NBTEdit they could change their own gamemode within the save, taking away their Creative powers and immortality and exchanging it for a Survival variant. Even if they went into Hardcore and died, they could change the gamemode back after death and respawn. From this we should expect to see a flurry of over the top player activity followed by a low-key period where they enjoy the simpler aspects of the game and then eventually a return to enjoying the high-powered play.

This roughly mirrors the chronology of the Christian god*. The being begins with unlimited power, exercises it willy-nilly all over the place and then adopts a mortal form for a brief period. Now are we waiting for the entity to have renewed interest in the game? To return to Creative mode? Is it still in Survival or is it too busy mowing down soldiers in Dynasty Warriors 61.7 Extreme-er Edition? Are we forced into playing Hardcore Survival because the creator experienced firsthand how boring the alternative was?

How is that, good enough? No, not really? Well, what do you want, I've been playing Minecraft for the last two hours.


*If you take "the chronology of the" to really mean "a possible chronology of one take on the"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
Avatar
mbmb
I'm getting really puzzled about what we owe to our children. Still too inchoate to work into a decent post, but by the time they're grown, I think I'll have a handle on how to parent a preschooler and the ethical challenges involved. I'm sort of interested in what various religions have to say on the matter, but a good way to nuance the question is escaping me for the moment.

But if you want to entertain yourself, try figuring out the moral requirements associated with making your children do things, and how this creates duties which propagate throughout your life. If you can work in the view of childhood Maurice Sendak gave us and ways to avoid the worst of that, you may be following along with my thoughts well enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted something.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is obsessed with Minecraft right now. He's nine. I've installed: Fossils & Archaelogy, Mo Creatures, Mo Creeps & Weirdos, Too Many Items and Reis Mini Map.

I've also used MCDungeon on his worlds.

He loves this game. I don't play it, but I know enough about it to install the mods and respond intelligently when he tells me about all the cool things he does with it. In that respect I am cooler than my wife.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
My son is obsessed with Minecraft right now. He's nine. I've installed: Fossils & Archaelogy, Mo Creatures, Mo Creeps & Weirdos, Too Many Items and Reis Mini Map.

I've also used MCDungeon on his worlds.

He loves this game. I don't play it, but I know enough about it to install the mods and respond intelligently when he tells me about all the cool things he does with it. In that respect I am cooler than my wife.


You should try it if you have the time (and you will want to have time to spare, since if you like it you're going to get lost in it for a while), it's a brilliant design. The only sandbox or exploration game I've found that doesn't really get old.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.