Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incident to a Power Struggle where the Commies are victorious, do they score off the die roll (after opponent loses X influence) AND also for remaining in power? For example, the Commies win a Power Struggle in Poland (3 power) and roll a 4 on the chart for 2 VP. The first scoring of this country in this example will yield 5 points for the commies? THen scoring will result from presence, control, etc.)

Another words, both players can score off the chart, while the commie player can only score off the power?

In this example, if the commies withstand a second scoring in Poland without the democratic player winning AND rolling a (modified) 4 or better, they will then score 6 points, while the democratic player (or commies) will score based on the die roll and final results (presence, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your understanding coincides with mine. Scoring for Power is an additional bonus not tied to who won the Power Struggle. Only the Communist can score for Power. I suspect the event deck favours the Democrat player to compensate for this. If the theme is any indication, it will become harder and harder for the Commies to maintain Power in countries, hence the scoring bonus for when they do so. I guess this is to compensate for the additional VPs the Democrat will likely score for more instances of Domination, victorious Power Struggles, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks much for the quick response! My buddy Doug was the commies today in our first "friendly" and he was up by 12 points after the first five rounds. We are playing our first "official" game tomorrow and I hope to avenge this setback and make him taste bile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavalry Man wrote:
Thanks much for the quick response! My buddy Doug was the commies today in our first "friendly" and he was up by 12 points after the first five rounds. We are playing our first "official" game tomorrow and I hope to avenge this setback and make him taste bile.

Good luck to you, sir.

I'll also note that the Commies may want to voluntarily sac Power if they are getting hammered in a country, in order to get the scoring card out of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Torgerson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavalry Man wrote:
Incident to a Power Struggle where the Commies are victorious, do they score off the die roll (after opponent loses X influence) AND also for remaining in power? For example, the Commies win a Power Struggle in Poland (3 power) and roll a 4 on the chart for 2 VP. The first scoring of this country in this example will yield 5 points for the commies? THen scoring will result from presence, control, etc.)

Another words, both players can score off the chart, while the commie player can only score off the power?

Correct. Either can score off the Power Struggle Results Table, but Power is unique to the Communist.

Quote:
In this example, if the commies withstand a second scoring in Poland without the democratic player winning AND rolling a (modified) 4 or better, they will then score 6 points, while the democratic player (or commies) will score based on the die roll and final results (presence, etc.)

This is correct if the Communist chooses to retain Power. The Communist can voluntarily give up Power, forsaking the -6 VPs, and thereby removing the Scoring Card from the deck.

As the Communist, the reason to keep Power when you are way behind in a country is if you are going for the auto-win and hope a couple favorable Scoring Cards are played (enough to get you to -20 VPS) before the Country where you are weak is scored again. Those VPs for Power can make the difference. If you are playing the long game, one strategy is to give up Poland early and just lock down Bulgaria and either Czechoslovakia or East Germany. If you can score East Germany twice for Domination as the Communist (plus -6 VPs for scoring for Power twice) that will be enough to swing the VPs in your favor.

There is a way to counteract this as the Dem, which is to manage the scoring cards. You have Exit Visas, Brought In For Questioning and Samizdat to help you dodge those very unfavorable Scoring Cards. The Communist can't dodge scoring cards. Now in the Late Year, when you know the deck will not be reshuffled, then as the Communist you might want to hold onto Power even if the Dem has control. It is worth -4 VPs in final scoring. The risks are Domino Theory and losing the Hoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome insight Ted. This will prove to be a great game in its on right! Can't wait to discover the nuances and give ny buddy the taste of bile! We are playing again tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.