Jim Mongiardo
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has a ton of user inputted data on their own gaming preferences. I would think it would be somewhat simple to tap into this data and match one users game ratings to the aggregated whole and make some recommendations based on the aggregated wholes games that aren't in our owned/wish list/etc.

Maybe this already exists. If not, I think it would be really cool and an excellent way to spur interest in older game titles. Kind of a counter reaction to the cult of the new.

What sayeth anyone else?

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had one at one point: Try http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/jmreg/recommendations

It's a bit buggy, though.

There's also a "Games you might also enjoy" on each game page; so if you go to the page of a game you like, you can find games suggested that you might also like. (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Game_Recommendation_Algor...)

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmreg wrote:
BGG has a ton of user inputted data on their own gaming preferences. I would think it would be somewhat simple to tap into this data and match one users game ratings to the aggregated whole and make some recommendations based on the aggregated wholes games that aren't in our owned/wish list/etc.

Maybe this already exists. If not, I think it would be really cool and an excellent way to spur interest in older game titles. Kind of a counter reaction to the cult of the new.

What sayeth anyone else?

Jim

What might be useful is to have BGG find people who have a similar interest as yourself, by cross-referencing your interests with theirs, and how you compare to them, and see what they like that you don't own.

Key to find what works is to find people who have similar interests to you in particular, not just everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmreg wrote:
Maybe this already exists.

Aer you looking for something like WhatToPlay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Foolery
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea immediately reminds me of Last.fm. The reccomendation system over there relies entirely on user input as to which artists are similar, so something like that could be employed for the games here.

Last.fm's system sometimes leaves me wondering why so many people drew certain comparisons, as I'm sure could take place with any medium, but I'd say the majority of suggestions actually do end up being helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20081123/1212542927.shtml

-----------------

With Pandora, I selected "Red Hot Chili Peppers". What I wanted for it to grab afterwards was maybe more of the George Clinton and heavy funk bass.

What I got was a bunch of mid 90s krap.

So... I had to resort to bootsy collins and jaco pastorius on the same station to get the same effect.

...and I think that problem would inevitably happen. Because like, say you like monopoly. Do you really like roll 'n move, or do you like sticking it to people when they land on your properties, or do you like auctioning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
What might be useful is to have BGG find people who have a similar interest as yourself, by cross-referencing your interests with theirs, and how you compare to them, and see what they like that you don't own.

Key to find what works is to find people who have similar interests to you in particular, not just everyone.

Geekbuddy Analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20081123/1212542927.shtml

-----------------

With Pandora, I selected "Red Hot Chili Peppers". What I wanted for it to grab afterwards was maybe more of the George Clinton and heavy funk bass.

What I got was a bunch of mid 90s krap.

So... I had to resort to bootsy collins and jaco pastorius on the same station to get the same effect.

...and I think that problem would inevitably happen. Because like, say you like monopoly. Do you really like roll 'n move, or do you like sticking it to people when they land on your properties, or do you like auctioning?

Pandora doesn't work very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is not exactly what you are asking for, but closely related... BGG User 1000rpm is prolific in putting together game selection geeklists.

His latest is "how-many-players-play-this-2012-edition".

Maybe he's thought about the same things you are thinking about?

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
Then there's this wonderful little tool:
A little game recommendation app (94% accurate) (rev. C)
Direct link to the app
It doesn't ask for your BGG credentials, but instead displays a bunch of games and you just click Like/Dislike/Ignore on them. Repeat until you find games you haven't played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
jmreg wrote:

What sayeth anyone else?

Jim

Except what else been said, this would be based on the fact that people rateings are not imposed with feelings and game groups. I.e ratings are inconsistant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With some items (in this case, games), it is easy to make a strong correlation to another item. If someone likes X, they will almost certainly also like Y.

Then there is what folksonomy pundits call the "Napoleon Dynamite Effect". No matter how hard they try, prognosticators have not been able to predict who will like or dislike the movie Napoleon Dynamite. It is a folksonomic anomaly.

I would guess there are some games with a unique combination of theme, mechanic, artwork and so on, that make them hard to compare to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.