Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a handful of games of Ottoman Sunset, so I'm by no means an expert, but the game I played last weekend was particularly surprising.

At the beginning of the game I spent a lot of actions getting as many german advisors as I could to help with the off-map battle. None of the front threatened advanced much and I got lucky with my die rolls. But the third deck was shuffled in halfway through the game, causing a lot of end game events to occur much earlier than normal.

By mid-game I was threatened by the Caucus Army (they got as close as space 1) but right when I was getting worried, they disappeared. Normally I hold the Sinai front back with a combination of the Sinai pipeline and the Gaza-Beersheba fortifications, but the pipeline got built very early in the game, and the fortification card came up when the space was controlled by the British. (doh!)

So Lawrence and the Sinai Front threatened me late in the game, but with some lucky die rolls I kept pushing them back. I got lucky because the Salonika and Gallipoli fronts were empty for 75% of the game, and right after the Gallipoli front appeared, it disappeared again on the next card. I realize that only having 3 open fronts meant it was much easier to concentrate my attacks on only a few armies.

Even though war weariness set in halfway through the game, my german staff officers helps me win most of my battles, and even the Kaiserschlacht didn't have a big effect on my National Will, I was constantly winning 2/3 of the battles I was fighting.

By the end of the game, I was feeling very cocky and was pondering how big my victory score would be. My three open fronts were all back at 3 and 4 spaces, and my national will was at 3-5. Strangely enough I hadn't had the british run the narrows, but I had long since maxed out my defenses.

Finally on the third to last card the British ran the narrows, and my die, which had been rolling 5's and 6's all game, allowing me to hold back the enemy armies, continued it's trend of rolling abnormally high numbers and just barely carried the British past my defenses, causing me to, once again, snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I was very lucky with my die rolls and with having so many army tracks be empty for most of the game, but this game was a good reminder never to count your chickens before they hatch. It's a neat game, and I'm looking forward to trying again soon!

One strategy note: So far all my losses have been because of armies invading Constantinople, or the British fleet runs of fortifications. Is it common to lose because of low National Will? Maybe it's because I put so many actions early in the game into getting Resources/German Staff chits, but I usually have a +1 or +2 DRM to off-map battles and that makes it easy to have enough victories to keep my morale high. Losing territory can hurt morale by the end of the game, but I seem to lose more often from one army punching through to Constantinople than from all the armies killing my morale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: It isn't over until the fat lady sings
Most of my many loses have been to an army invading Constatinople. I think about 15-20% are due to national will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delesdernier
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of national will:
You'll start to see more loses by national will as you learn the deck because you'll be able to anticipate which fronts are likely to pose the greatest threat at any point in the game considering the circumstances. Many of the SoS series are like fine wines in that they seem to from better with age - and particularly familiarization.
Congrats on your victory as it looks like you had favorable circumstances throughout. Sometimes, even that isn't enough!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Leviloff
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb

So, Asa, if the third to the last card was the British run the straights card, does that mean the "German U-boats in the Med" card was one of the remaining two cards left? If so, that's a rough break. If not, you made a mistake because the U-boats card prohibits the running of the Straights (unless you play with the optional rule, anyways, and you didn't reference that).

I seem to lose a lot on National Will, but that's probably because I fight tooth and nail not to loose Constantinople.

Glad you are enjoying the game and I am putting the finishing touches on its sister game "Habsburg Eclipse".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darin,

You're correct "German U-boats in the Med" was the second to last card in the deck. Sometimes luck is a cruel mistress.

I know even less about the role of Austria in WWI than I do about the Ottoman Empire, so I look forward to trying Hapsburg Eclipse someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.