United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
Just a heads up that I started a cabal at the ST site for Japan, called The Honor.

That said, I've had requests from people to join the Cabal that don't live in Japan. I'm afraid that this goes against my understanding of what a Cabal should be--a geographically linked group of like mind. Also, I've noted some people joining multiple Cabals, which doesn't make much sense to me. On these topics, I'm hoping to generate discussion here.

First, though, I started "The Honor" for ST folks living in Japan. Second, the Cabal says that it's for "warriors". Now, how people percieve that this fits in with a game about casting spells is certainly a topic I'm up for discussing as well, but I think players that both live and Japan AND identify with this idea of a more "warrior's way" of approaching the game may like to join. I'm all for some kindered play.

I certainly look forward to seeing other Cabals in Japan--rival schools of thought are always welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awakeneddragon wrote:
Just a heads up that I started a cabal at the ST site for Japan, called The Honor.

That said, I've had requests from people to join the Cabal that don't live in Japan. I'm afraid that this goes against my understanding of what a Cabal should be--a geographically linked group of like mind. Also, I've noted some people joining multiple Cabals, which doesn't make much sense to me. On these topics, I'm hoping to generate discussion here.

First, though, I started "The Honor" for ST folks living in Japan. Second, the Cabal says that it's for "warriors". Now, how people percieve that this fits in with a game about casting spells is certainly a topic I'm up for discussing as well, but I think players that both live and Japan AND identify with this idea of a more "warrior's way" of approaching the game may like to join. I'm all for some kindered play.

I certainly look forward to seeing other Cabals in Japan--rival schools of thought are always welcome!

There is no rule against being in multiple cabals or limiting it to geographical region. It is being left up to the cabals themselves to decide their restrictions. So you are welcome to limit it to Japan only and allow your members to only be in one cabal. Just be aware, many others aren't doing that.

The line gets especially blurry when you have some online-only cabals or ones organized around philosophies or role-playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Style Over Substance
badge
"In loving memory of Mariel."
mb
In my mind I guess I see the Cabals as being like martial arts schools, where fighters may be learning kung-fu, but will kick the butts of any one from rival schools. Let alone different disciplines of martial arts.

I think it is good that other Cabals have open membership. I certainly wouldn't hold it against any Honor members seeking admission into other Cabals. Other Cabals are even more restrictive than mine (totally locked down), and I certainly don't want to give a snooty, exclusivist feeling. I would like the Honor to be a kind of sanctuary, giving its membership a place to discus what locally concerns us.

Interested in seeing how the Cabals, and the Skype (or whatever) competitions take place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.