Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Another (quick!) Mana Draw question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Jackson
msg tools
Hello!

Just after a quick clarification.

Can the die take from the source using the strong effect of Mana Draw be SET to black?

Found one post here saying yes, but was just wondering if this was officially correct, and that black IS a (non-basic)colour...

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it can.

Not during the Day though, unless you've played Amulet of Darkness before it or you're in a Dungeon or Tomb when doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are wondering if black is a color?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
You are wondering if black is a color?

He is wondering if he can take black as a mana token.

Black mana crystal pieces exist, however it is impossible to ever take one of these and put it into your inventory.

David, I think it was you in an earlier post that wished for separate mana token chits. If the crystals only came in 4 colors and the token chits came in 6 colors, that would have made things clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

Am I missing something?
'Mana Token'? What is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mercom wrote:
Am I missing something?

Really? Mana tokens are the colored plastic bits that come in the box. Their use is described on page 5 of the rulebook, under "Using Mana".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mercom wrote:
Tompy wrote:

Am I missing something?

USING MANA
1. There are four basic colors of mana in the game (red, blue,
white and green). The mana can be in two forms:
a. Pure mana. This is represented by a mana die or by a mana
token in a player’s play area
. When gained, it has to be used
before the end of the player’s turn, or it disappears.
b. Crystals. These are represented by a mana token in the
player’s Inventory (on his Hero card). Up to three tokens of
each basic color can be stored there.
• A crystal can be turned into pure mana at any moment of
a player’s turn. Pure mana cannot be turned into crystals
unless an effect says so

Unfortunately the rules seem to refer to "Mana Tokens" as those bits of plastic in your play area you accumulate but only last through the end of your current turn.

It would have been a lot clearer if all the "objects" of the game had clearly unique identifiers and were represented by separate physical components.

(I'm guessing Vlaada is not a computer programmer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it is in your inventory it is a mana crystal. Lasts until used. Can't be black or gold, 3 max of any one color.

When it is in your play area it is a mana token. Lasts until end of turn. Can be black or gold, no max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
camipco wrote:
When it is in your inventory it is a mana crystal. Lasts until used. Can't be black or gold, 3 max of any one color.

When it is in your play area it is a mana token. Lasts until end of turn. Can be black or gold, no max.

The problem here is that the rule snippet I pasted describes those plastic bits as "mana tokens", so the label "mana token" takes on 2 meanings, first the plastic bits, and second the temporary "pure mana" in your play area.

I personally think like you. The three elements are Crystals, Tokens and colored plastic components to represent them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
mercom wrote:
Am I missing something?

Really? Mana tokens are the colored plastic bits that come in the box. Their use is described on page 5 of the rulebook, under "Using Mana".

Yes, really.

I was looking for a 'token', not a Crystal or a Die.
However I see the explanation was given by others.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
When I am demoing, I call them 'bits of plastic'.

They can represent two different things.

If they are on your character card, they are crystals.
If they are somewhere in front of you, not on your character card, they are mana tokens.

It does seem that a number of people think that having a different bit of plastic to represent the different things would be better, but for me, it would actually be more confusing, require twice as many components.

As I say, it seems really simple to me, maybe I just got it into my head right at the start and it has stuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
When I am demoing, I call them 'bits of plastic'.

They can represent two different things.

If they are on your character card, they are crystals.
If they are somewhere in front of you, not on your character card, they are mana tokens.

It does seem that a number of people think that having a different bit of plastic to represent the different things would be better, but for me, it would actually be more confusing, require twice as many components.

As I say, it seems really simple to me, maybe I just got it into my head right at the start and it has stuck.

I think the confusion (for me anyway) comes from the fact that the rules call the "bits of plastic" "Mana Tokens". Then later while playing the game, the cards say to create "Mana Tokens".

After processing the rules, the word "Mana Token" becomes confusing.

Furthermore in a game where the rules are superseded by the cards, a card that says, "Create a Crystal of any color" can be confusing because there are 6 colors of "Mana Tokens" that are used to represent Crystals in the inventory. But in reality the black and gold "Mana Tokens" are only for use in representing "Mana Tokens".

Have I confused everyone yet? If so, then just read the quoted bit above and stop reading my posts on the topic. I'm gonna stop here before I confuse myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's in my head now!

After just posting that I received a 'perfect copy' now I'm reading about Mana 'Tokens' and, of course, thought I missed something.
They're not even mentioned in the Game Components (because they don't exist in 'token' form.)

Got it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
mercom wrote:
Tompy wrote:

Am I missing something?

USING MANA
1. There are four basic colors of mana in the game (red, blue,
white and green). The mana can be in two forms:
a. Pure mana. This is represented by a mana die or by a mana
token in a player’s play area
. When gained, it has to be used
before the end of the player’s turn, or it disappears.
b. Crystals. These are represented by a mana token in the
player’s Inventory (on his Hero card). Up to three tokens of
each basic color can be stored there.
• A crystal can be turned into pure mana at any moment of
a player’s turn. Pure mana cannot be turned into crystals
unless an effect says so

Unfortunately the rules seem to refer to "Mana Tokens" as those bits of plastic in your play area you accumulate but only last through the end of your current turn.

It would have been a lot clearer if all the "objects" of the game had clearly unique identifiers and were represented by separate physical components.

(I'm guessing Vlaada is not a computer programmer.)

FYI Vlaada spent 15 years programming and designing video games

With project as big as MK and time deadlines which needed to be met game ballance was a little bit of bigger importance than making wording bullet proof. Also there's the case of translating walls of text to English. All this was discussed in many other threads, so please lets move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an American it is my proud privilege to disregard the concept of "translation" as unnecessary because everyone speaks English. (This is sarcasm and I'm making fun of Americans here.)

Thanks for the information. Now I clearly see it as a translation issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jackson
msg tools
Thanks everyone.

Actually had assumed (and played as if) I could set black as the colour of the token. Just had a brief moment of doubt when I wondered, as David guessed, if black was actually a colour! Wondering if it was one of those rulings that everyone just knows, and that the cards/rules never have to spell out.

Oh well. Over-thought it. Back to trying to win a solo game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mercom wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
mercom wrote:
Am I missing something?

Yes, really.

I was looking for a 'token', not a Crystal or a Die.
However I see the explanation was given by others.

Thank you.

I had the same thought and was searching the box for these "tokens". Then I just said, "let's just use the crystals instead"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.