Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Hodge
United States
Hanover
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small group Wednesday, four people. We played a couple games of Citadels which I had just gotten before we got knocked down to three. Looking at my collection we decided to play Pandemic. My wife and I had played it before, our third (Thom) never had. We explained to him it was hard (my wife and I have never won, even on the easiest difficulty) but he wasn't daunted and off we went.

Medic, Dispatcher, Scientist. Pretty good combo and our Scientist started with 3 blue which was the hardest hit by the initial setup. I swear I shuffled. Needless to say we had blue cured and eradicated before the first epidemic with our Medic having 4 of the 5 cards needed to cure yellow.

We had nice pacing for the first two epidemics but the second two came almost on the heals of the second. We had managed to cure yellow in that time but quickly found ourselves at 5 outbreaks, the player deck dwindling low and still two cures needed.

The "build a research station anywhere" special event allowed our Medic and Scientist to meet up in Sydney and exchange cards for a cure but still nobody had more than 2 black in hand with only 6 cards left in the player deck.

Scientist draws, a black! That's when I take an inventory and realize that I'm on a black city I have a card for in my hand and I'm the Dispatcher! As long as we don't set off three more outbreaks before my turn we can just barely win, of course 3 more outbreaks is a real possibility with how much orange and black was on the board. Next up is the Medic, perfect! She (my wife) moves on top of the suffering (three cube) spaces and freely administers the newly discovered orange cure across Asia to ensure we make it to my turn. I pull the Medic to my space with my special ability on my turn, hand him my card, and move him two spaces closer to the research center before drawing the last two cards...one of which is the special event that allows me to rearrange the top six cards of the infection deck! I use it immediately and start by peeking at the top three...one of which would have set off a chain reaction of black that would have had us doubly lose by running out of black cubes and setting off 3 more outbreaks. On the bottom you go.

Scientist's turn, 3 moves to get to the research station and the 4th action cures the last disease before he has to draw from an empty player deck. Victory couldn't have been more by the skin of our teeth and it's always those games that are most fun. I'm glad this was my first win. Here's a picture I took to commemorate our achievement:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I love about Pandemic: it's so well balanced that usually victory comes at the very last moment. Good job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! Enjoyed the narrative as I am hoping to try this game with my wife soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
Great session report! Enjoyed the narrative as I am hoping to try this game with my wife soon.

I expect you guys will like it. Everybody (in my experience) loves Pandemic. Many ask to play again immediately after losing the first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Loves Happiness!!!
United States
Eagle Point
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, satisfaction... I think co-op games bring more satisfaction than individual wins any day, especially potentially hard ones like this.

Good session report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.